Are we entering the age of the Heaviest is "Best" turntable? Heavy = Musical?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Heavy is just heavy, not best. There are multiple things that go into making a turntable good. I don't care how heavy a table is, that will not save a tonearm and cart from airborne vibrations if placed in the room with speakers. Also, it will not help with speed accuracy/consistency.

I agree 100%, and I make a heavy turntable. It is a very, very good one by most accounts, but its weight is only one factor. I suppose time is spent discussing its mass by people mainly because that is what is readily apparent. In my honest opinion, that time would be much better spent on discussing the platter. While there is no single reason why a given turntable succeeds or fails at its intended job, it is a certainty that the platter design and construction is a make-or-break aspect of it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Win, I'm a massive fan of idlers having heard replinthed Garrards and Lencos sound simply stunning
I'm a tad less convinced by DDs, although I very much like the GP Monaco 1.5
I run an inauspicious rim drive which hits the Sweet Spot for me
Your Sakia 2 Ref remains on my Wish List, do PM me

Mike, despite my love of the synergy I've achieved with my rim drive tt/air bearing arm, I'm very much open to reinvestigating belt/pivoted, viz Kuzma Stabi M/14" 4-Point
This is a combination that will get me the torque advantages of the best DDs/idlers (up to speed in 2 revolutions), and getting as close to tangential accuracy of my linear tracker with that 14" length

Like you, I'm going to investigate active isolation with the Speirs Robertson DVIA in the pipeline

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing