Daedalus Audio Speakers, Among the Best in the World...At Any Price ?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

our WBF member jazdoc has Daedalus speakers. I've heard them many times.....he has had them upgraded once or twice too. they are very, very, fine sounding speakers and compliment his very musically involving system.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/743

I have heard them at shows a few times where I typically also enjoy them but I prefer them in his mature system.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I may get a chance to hear some next month. Will report back.

For the record Lou is a real nice guy. He gave me a demonstration of his isolation pucks and they make a really big sonic difference once you've got them under more than one device. I can't confirm that I believe they are the best, but they're worth trying first because the audibility is so very clear.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm not getting why some companies are putting dual tweeters on their speakers. Especially, when the speakers are as small as those (not that it causes less problems on bigger designs, but at least with with big speakers, aimed at big rooms, you can claim that you are lowering the load and distortion figures).

Think about all those lobbing effects it creates.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would contact Lou with the question of lobing concerns. I'm sure it's been addressed. These speakers didn't fall out of the sky, he's been at it a long time.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
As MikeL alluded, I own a pair of current Daedalus Ulysses speakers.

I wouldn't presume to say they are "the best", nor do I think any one speaker is everyone's solution. In my system, with my musical tastes, I have been very pleased and would definitely purchase again. The choice came down to the Ulysses and the DeVore's...I believe I would have been happy with either, although they have slightly different 'house sounds'.

As others have noted, Lou is an absolutely great guy. Extremely helpful, detailed oriented and fair. He's a musician (guitarist) and an excellent woodworker. Indeed, he originally got into the business building speakers for musicians and studios. The fit and finish of the speakers is exceptional...I've had professional woodworkers compliment the build quality. I enjoy the very open, natural sound of his speakers. IMO, they lean toward what might be termed a "tubey" rather than "solid state" presentation. They are very efficient and have great power handling bandwidth. A 3/4 watt 45 SET amp was not enough to drive them, but my Found Music EL34 18 watt amp has more than enough headroom in my small-medium sized room. They are very revealing of changes are made upstream, very helpful when dialing in a turntable or tube rolling. We can chat offline if you wish. If you are ever in Seattle, please feel free to contact me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I hae really enjoyed the sound of the Ulysses at shows, which says a lot to me. It was on my short list the last time I bought speakers; if I had had to pay list price I might very well have chosen it over the Crescendo

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
They sound good imo and have been getting better over the years, at this point I'd consider them a good choice. The cabinetry is awesome, but they do contribute to the sound... to me it sounds like the cabs are well braced but largely undamped, which sounds exciting and dynamic but it allows the cabs to make their own contributions... some will like this, others may not. Overall they are very dynamic and fun to listen to as well as works of art... Well worth checking out!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think they are more in the SF camp of sound if that helps.

I personally find the oft-used Daedulus/ModWright combo at shows too smooth and a bit dull for my taste. I imagine with different amplification I would feel differently.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I just spent an evening listening to some Argos, with subs from Daedalus. Associated equipment was ModWright except turntable and Oppo (modified by MW).

The speakers seemed to be quite good. The MW gear always strikes me as a bit thin on top and fatigue level medium. I'm use to a much better CD player so that made it a bit challenging to compare since I haven't listened to vinyl in awhile at home. But overall I found the speakers could do dynamics rather nicely. Imaging was designed to be a little wider for a sweet spot on the Argos, but seemed pretty accurate. I think they sacrifice a little 3D to accomplish it though. Do they color the sound? I think that's mostly in people's head. I'd rate them as more talented than the MW gear they get paired with. The mid driver is a beast to tame, knowing it's origin really clued me in to some of what I've heard before with its father. So I can say I'd recommend a pairing of equipment that has a smooth and slightly rich midrange; or absurdly good stuff? Many tube amps would be a good pairing.

The wood work is very nice! Lou can also make a great wood rack too. Considering the low power needed to drive them, they should be on most people's list to give a listen. You might get to spend more on speakers and less on amps, for example.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing