the Studer list

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Ron Resnick has encouraged me to chime in on the reel to reel forum here.

I just registered on the WBF last week and from looking over a few of your many threads, I see that I already know many of you.

I also read here that my company -- ATAE -- doesn't like audiophiles. Well, I suppose it could appear that way, as we focus exclusively on the professional audio market. But I've been an audiophile my entire adult life. I'd be happy to share the reasons why we don't target the audiophile market, if anyone here would find that interesting.

To any WBF readers owning legacy Studer A80 or A820 tape machines, don't forget about the Studer list. Now in its sixteenth year, the Studer list has long been a valuable resource for those seeking background technical information and tech support for these important benchmark Studer products.

New subscribers are always welcome and I think signing up there is a more practical route than asking the many international expert Studer list contributors to also join the WBF.

http://bach.pgm.com/mailman/listinfo/studer/

My thanks to you all for reading.

Fred Thal
managing director, ATAE
ataudioeng.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF Fred!

I think many members interested in reel-to-reel tape and the machines which play them will find very valuable your vast knowledge about, and experience with, Studer tape machines in particular and reel-to-reel in general.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Fred,

Great to read from you in WBF. I am one of those audiophiles who learned a lot from the Studer list - I went from Revox's to two A80's, and your permanent critical and rigorous analysis of Studer machines and the real technology and science behind their design was valuable in all senses, even for a non professional user. I often spend some enjoyable time just reading about a particular subject from the archives of the list.

BTW, I really appreciated the recent messages concerning "The fundamental design difference between the A80 and A820 transports".

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Hi Fred,

Nice to have you here. Your knowledge and assist are valuable for most of us.

BTW: thanks Ron for encouraging him here.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Fred,

Thanks for
the Studer list and the help you've provided us throughout the years. :)

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
My simple message to the WBF community is only that if there are persons here who are truly interested in Studer A80s and A820s, then they should consider subscribing to the Studer list.

While it might be more convenient for some here, I am not going to attempt to import the collective expertise of the Studer list into the WBF.

Please know that Studer list contributors remain happy to answer any questions about A80s, including model history and similar FAQs. We do however require that all subscribers posting there do so using only their true name.

http://bach.pgm.com/mailman/listinfo/studer/

Thanks again.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I subscribed!

Thank you, Fred.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We always learn something new for the posts of The Studer list.

Just posted:

Ahem ...

No knowledgeable and responsible mastering engineer would ever play back an
important master tape (which by definition is irreplaceable) on a tape
recorder.

They would insist on using only a reproducer for playback.

Been saying this, preaching this, for decades now.

Adolph (Fred) Thal

>
> J... got the Cello from me. I don't want it. I probably should have kept
> it to sell. A... got the Cello from a well known tech at a well known studio
> who threw it out the window after it went into record all by itself and
> ruined a master tape. Seems like you know this.
>
> P...

Although my Tape project tapes are not master tapes, I only play them in an A80 machine that has no wires soldered to the erase and record heads. Now I do not need to feel a chicken-hearted guy anymore! ;)

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
My Studer A812 has a safe button, and that one is normally set to safe. I saw in the Studer list the A812, which basically is an 820 with an 810 Laufwerk, is not on the list of the Studer forum.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My Studer A812 has a safe button, and that one is normally set to safe. I saw in the Studer list the A812, which basically is an 820 with an 810 Laufwerk, is not on the list of the Studer forum.

The Studer list feels the broadcast machines like the 812 and 810 (and others) is not worthy. Mostly it's just the A80 and A820 machines, though the A820 machine was built for Post Production.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
> . . . the A812, which basically is an 820 with an 810 Laufwerk

Not so.

The A812 transport certainly looks like an A810 transport (from the outside), but they are actually very different.

The A812 is a fascinating footnote in Studer analog tape machine history. You are welcome to ask about it, if you'd care to start an A812 thread on the Studer list.

topoxforddoc

Feb 20, 2015
Cheltenham, UK
Just subscribed.

I have just received an immaculate half inch 2 track A820 from the family of my friend, Stewart Emmings, who passed away a few weeks ago. It was his pride and joy next to his Nagra T. My A807/II now has big brother.

Charlie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing