Greetings from Tanglewood

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
One of the most rewarding experiences in all the world of classical music concert-going, is to attend Tanglewood in the summer. Tanglewood is a music venue in the towns of Lenox and Stockbridge in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. It has been the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra since 1937. No matter what you see performed there, and no matter when you go, it is always a moving and lovely experience. The best part is that the concerts are rarely sold out, but an even better part is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to enjoy Tanglewood. While the seats close to the stage go for about $100, the “real” Tanglewood experience is getting lawn seats for 20 bucks and having a picnic dinner there before and during the concert. The lawn area lies outside the “shed” which means that if it rains, you’re mostly out of luck (Fig 1) so check the weather before you go. The good news is that the sound on the lawn is remarkably good. It’s sort of like a tail-gating party but with more class! Regulars often bring candles and even candlabras to grace their picnic tables (seen best in Fig 2 taken after dark falls- sorry for the blurry picture; and Fig 6).

Fig 1-2.jpeg

The “shed” is the Koussevitzky Music Shed, built in 1939 and renovated in 1959. As you can see, the stage has sound re-inforcement above the players forcing the sound out rather than up (Figs 3-4).

Fig 3-4.jpeg

But basically, it’s a damn shed made of wood (Fig 5) that is completely open at the back to the lawn area (Fig 6).

Fig 5.jpg

Fig 6.jpg

I’ve never sat close to the stage, but I can assure you that the sound even in the last 10 rows of the shed are wonderful and cost just slightly more than the lawn in case you don’t want to picnic or want protection from potential inclement weather.

Last night’s performance was to be conducted by the venerable German conductor Christoph von Dohnányi who is older than dirt (86) but unfortunately, had to cancel due to complications from recent cataract surgery. (As an ophthalmologist, I was particularly saddened by that news). His last minute replacement was Ken-David Masur, an aspiring young conductor and the son of Kurt Masur, former conductor of the NY Philharmonic. He performed admirably.

The opening piece was something entirely forgettable by the American modernist composer Charles Ives who left the audience with a facial expressions best characterized as “what the hell was that?” or perhaps “where is the rest of the piece”?

No matter, the rest of the evening was beautiful. Famed opera star extraordinaire Renée Fleming sang Strauss’ Last Four songs. And they really were the last 4 songs he wrote. The lyrics were from famous poems (3 by Herman Hesse, 1 by Joseph von Eichendorff) and they were all basically composed as a singular musical love song to his wife of more than 50 years. Strauss was arguably the last of the great romantics (1864-1949) and wrote this piece for his wife when he was 84 years old. Ms. Fleming sang them beautifully and although German lieder is generally not my thing, it was hard not to be moved. Then again, if you’ve ever heard Renée Fleming sing Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” (Tidal it!), you know what I’m talking about. She could sing the damn phone book for all I care and I’d listen intently.

The evening concluded with Tchaikovsky’s masterwork Symphony no. 6, the “Pathetique” which is in part very uplifting (especially the famous 3rd movement

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Pathetique'_-_III._Allegro_molto_vivace.oggin )

but ends quietly in sadness as it reflected the despair Tchaikovsky felt at the end of his life mainly for believing his homosexuality would soon be leaked to the Czar. This would have cost him dearly including his Russian citizenship. Sadly, he needn’t have worried as he died 9 days after the piece premiered in St. Petersburg in 1893.

It’s hard to imagine a more beautiful way to spend a perfect summer’s evening than listening to music at Tanglewood.
Marty

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wonderfully Wonderfull ... Thanks for the share

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+1 for the thread

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Tanglewood is awesome, especially the Saturday morning rehearsal.

The big trick is to find a good place to stay, especially for 1 night .

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
My fav Lenny moment , Mahler 2 Resurrection ... Tanglewood 1970
image.jpeg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is also now the Tanglewood In The City program, where they live stream from the Shed to Symphony Hall; the Carmina Burana I attended on July 9th was so much fun, and Stephen Powell's performance in particular was just spectacular.

powell.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've always wanted to check out Tanglewood but it's so damn far...

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many years ago, a friend and I drove down from Vermont for a weekend at Tanglewood. We stayed at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. I recall a very nice performance of Beethoven 7 conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas. A great weekend. Also, much quieter than here in the Chicago area where railroad trains, sirens or helicopters intrude.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wait a minute. Aren't you IN Massachusetts? How far can it be?

A couple hours or more depending on traffic. Do-able but four hours of driving means more time in the car than at the concert.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A couple hours or more depending on traffic. Do-able but four hours of driving means more time in the car than at the concert.

Best to spend a weekend at the Berkshires - beautiful places. The drive back to Boston at 11pm - if you can even get out of the parking lot at that time - can be tiring.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've always wanted to check out Tanglewood but it's so damn far...

When I lived in MA, we would drive to Tanglewood for Sat morning rehearsal, have lunch on Church Street after, then drive home. It wasn't a big deal. Drive back on a Sunday was a whole different drama.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing