Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Speaker Challenge . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    So the field coil speakers use a conventional cone but drive the cone with an electromagnetic field?
    What Frantz says is essentially correct. They were in a CNO 7 figure system. Worth a listen. I don't know where you could hear them. Jeff at High Water Sound in NYC is one dealer who carries Cessaro.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Yup, and as far as dipoles go I think the Lotus Grenada with the Feastrex field-coil drivers spank any panel/stat/ribbon type speaker I've ever heard.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    No idea, think it was a one-off by Graz based on the Scintilla. Graz occasionally builds a one-off. He built a Definitive, which was supposed to be a much higher efficiency speaker with better magnets, and is now building a high efficiency duetta signature and a Diva, but that might take a while and is one-off. Rumor has it the Definitive was 100k, the new high efficiency duetta will be 40k GBP, Synergy was probably less.

The comments I am providing are on Apogee restores only. And not all restores are the same.
    Synergy was a lot less, and used neodymium magnets, so was high efficiency.

Advance 7 (7th Graz iteration of the Duetta - hence the name) is super high rigidity, but not high efficiency. Perhaps marginally higher efficiency than Duetta Signature, but not by much.

I wouldn't like to say £40K is right for Advance 7. Price is unset last time I heard, but it IS expensive and that probably is within around 20% of the selling price but that is still a guess.

Will it sell at that price? Hm.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    The bass speaker of the Focal Grande Utopia EM is a field coil driver. See http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/technologies/em.php for the benefits. A very nice thing is that you can tune the bass varying the magnetic field of the bass.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Yup, and as far as dipoles go I think the Lotus Grenada with the Feastrex field-coil drivers spank any panel/stat/ribbon type speaker I've ever heard.
    Very interesting. I have never even heard of those.....

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Leif S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    They would do it!

But I like panels.
    You know we have built panels with woofers wonderfully integrated lol
    Leif Swanson
    Vice President, Sales and Marketing
    Designer

Von Schweikert Audio
    Global Distributor- MasterBuilt Audio Cables

My System

VSA Endeavor 5's, E-3MkII's, Audio Alchemy electronics, VAC IQ200 monoblocks, VAC Master Line Stage with Phono Pre, Kronos Pro with SCPS, Black Beauty Tone arm, ZYX cartridge, Lampizator, Aurender, MasterBuilt cables, J-corder open reel deck.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif S View Post
    You know we have built panels with woofers wonderfully integrated lol
    Yes, Leif, I remember!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314