Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Speaker Challenge . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    So the field coil speakers use a conventional cone but drive the cone with an electromagnetic field?
    What Frantz says is essentially correct. They were in a CNO 7 figure system. Worth a listen. I don't know where you could hear them. Jeff at High Water Sound in NYC is one dealer who carries Cessaro.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Yup, and as far as dipoles go I think the Lotus Grenada with the Feastrex field-coil drivers spank any panel/stat/ribbon type speaker I've ever heard.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    No idea, think it was a one-off by Graz based on the Scintilla. Graz occasionally builds a one-off. He built a Definitive, which was supposed to be a much higher efficiency speaker with better magnets, and is now building a high efficiency duetta signature and a Diva, but that might take a while and is one-off. Rumor has it the Definitive was 100k, the new high efficiency duetta will be 40k GBP, Synergy was probably less.

The comments I am providing are on Apogee restores only. And not all restores are the same.
    Synergy was a lot less, and used neodymium magnets, so was high efficiency.

Advance 7 (7th Graz iteration of the Duetta - hence the name) is super high rigidity, but not high efficiency. Perhaps marginally higher efficiency than Duetta Signature, but not by much.

I wouldn't like to say 40K is right for Advance 7. Price is unset last time I heard, but it IS expensive and that probably is within around 20% of the selling price but that is still a guess.

Will it sell at that price? Hm.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    The bass speaker of the Focal Grande Utopia EM is a field coil driver. See http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/technologies/em.php for the benefits. A very nice thing is that you can tune the bass varying the magnetic field of the bass.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Yup, and as far as dipoles go I think the Lotus Grenada with the Feastrex field-coil drivers spank any panel/stat/ribbon type speaker I've ever heard.
    Very interesting. I have never even heard of those.....

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Leif S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    They would do it!

But I like panels.
    You know we have built panels with woofers wonderfully integrated lol
    Leif Swanson
    Vice President, Sales and Marketing
    Designer

Von Schweikert Audio
    Global Distributor- MasterBuilt Audio Cables

My System

VSA Endeavor 5's, E-3MkII's, Audio Alchemy electronics, VAC IQ200 monoblocks, VAC Master Line Stage with Phono Pre, Kronos Pro with SCPS, Black Beauty Tone arm, ZYX cartridge, Lampizator, Aurender, MasterBuilt cables, J-corder open reel deck.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif S View Post
    You know we have built panels with woofers wonderfully integrated lol
    Yes, Leif, I remember!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 or Koetsu Coralstone (TBD)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314