DMA 260 vs DMA 300RS and the SDR 4000 SL vs the SDR 4000 SV--The SV difference

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Back in February I received my first Spectral SV piece in the form of a DMC 30 SV preamp, driving my DMA 260. It was clearly better than what I had previously, but I was told that in no way would I be able to hear the true benefit until I had an amp with SV technology, namely the 400 RS's or a 300RS. Well today I finally got my DMA 300RS and I can tell you that the combination with the DMC 30SV took my system a quantum leap better top to bottom even after merely several hours. In fact, after the first bar of music less than 5 minutes after initial plug-in and cable connection, I sensed the difference, and by the 5th bar had no doubt. The noise floor of the combo is substantially lower as is the decay of each note, which to my ears sounds like better clarity and more realistic. While a used DMA 260 is a great amp for someone wanting to get into Spectral inexpensively, other than the necessary MIT cables (Overture will probably be selling mine in the $5k to $5500 range), the 300 is worth the substantial price increment compared to my trade in value and certainly worth the $8K difference when new.

However, today I heard a three stage SV system and finally was able to clearly understand the SV difference. I heard my preamp, new power amp fed by the SDR 4000 SV, so that the SV circuitry was in play start to finish. The best way I can describe the "SV" difference is simply faster, quieter and more resolution, which makes for a much more believable sound. My preamp is so much more impressive with the SV section in the amp than with the 260 without the SV topology.

However, when the entire pathway is through the SV circuitry, it is truly the first time I have heard the full SV impact without any limitations in the pathway. To put it simply, it is so impressive, that I can say without any hesitation, it produced the best sound I have ever heard. Pardon my crude interpretation, but it sounded like the best analog I have ever heard, with the well known features of a high end analog unit, but with a noise floor and speed that I suspect is not possible until a SV phono stage arrives.

The SV combo does not have any sense of solid state or tube, both of which have a sound of their own. IMHO, it sounds like music and is as involving as live music unplugged.

So despite my promises that my buying spree of the last 12 months is over because I need to feed my divorce drained retirement, I made one more purchase and ordered a SDR 4000 SV, which will arrive when it arrives.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Great to hear Russ. Glad the wait was worth it. Keep us Spectral fans informed so we can live vicariously through your system. One day maybe for me, but until then, awesome to hear Spectral through your ears. Are you planning to try out different power cords with the new amp, or just going to let it settle in for a while?
(Re Ack's MIT vrs Shunyata experiment)

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Scouter,

There is no doubt in my mind that power cords matter, although they are probably another form of coloration to some extent and thus you choose what you like and what fits the rest of your system. I have tried a number of Shunyata cords (Python, Anaconda, Alpha HC, Sigma) with my 260, which all produced different sounds although less than with a Bryston 4B SST2, probably because the Spectral Power Supply is superior. Since I have had the 300 for less than a day, I have not done any experimentation yet. I will say that it already sounds better than it did yesterday as the connections settle in (The amp is supposedly totally broken by Spectral for 800 hours!)

Right at this point I am using a the top of the line Audio Arts with Gold Furtech connections as the power cord, which worked the best with the 260 and is a bargain.

Most important I am closer to the music. I can only guess what it will sound like with a better digital source than my current Oppo 103 transport connected to a Meitner DAC via a MIT S/PDIF Both the Oppo and the Meitner are powered with Shunyata Sigma Digital PC's. Later today I will deal with analog since I am in the midst of a major tone arm adjustment and do not have it right yet. My analog is a VPI Prime with 10" 3D arm, a VPI SDS which makes a huge difference, a Benz Micro LPS cartridge, sitting on a Vibraplane on a custom made Steve Blinn rack, connected to Pass phono stage using a prototype single ended interconnect that I cannot discuss at this time, other than to say it is truly incredible and much, much better than its current production sister. Both the VPI and SDS are powered via Shunyata Alpha Analog for the VPI and an Alpha Digital for the SDS

Scouter, my DMA 260 is in perfect condition and recently checked by Spectral and can probably be had for around $5k from Overture. At that price it is the bargain of the day of what it will produce.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

Thanks. The 300RS is substantially better than I expected.

Part of what makes the DMA 300RS and DMC 30SV so special is what Spectral calls its SV topology which is based on a specially designed semiconductor designed by Keith Johnson that is ultra fast and allegedly restabilizes faster than any other semiconductor following any input/output partially because it is essentially void one of the banes of solid state, thermal tails, or said another way degradation to the semiconductor performance due to thermal impact created while reacting to a signal and the amount of time for the device totally restabilize so that it is ready for the next part of the signal. With most devices this tail is sufficiently long that the device has not totally restabilized before the next part of the signal requires processing. The net result is some degree of coloration and an elevation of the noise floor, however minimal.

The SV technology essentially removes this problem, allowing the device to deal with the next part of the signal from a truly restabilized starting point. In addition to less coloring, this allows for a lower noise floor and clear distinction between all parts of the signal. The net result is greater accuracy of the device which hopefully translates into a more accurate reproduction of the source signal.

The SDR 4000 SL essentially used the technology from the DMC 30SS and SDR 4000 SV uses the same technology used by the DMA 400RS/300RS and the DMA 30 SV, a substantial improvement having heard both in my system for an AB comparison. In addition, there is a new clock and a substantial software update both for transport operation and signal processing. Spectral describes the clock differences as follows "newSpectralock 2 system employs custom cut VCXOcrystal reference oscillators and redesigned masterclock system to lower clock jitter and reduce fieldswhich can induce jitter. This extreme precision hasresulted in virtually unmeasureable peak jitter usingthe finest existing instrument test systems. The ultraprecisionSpectralock 2 master clock is joined by newdrive control software which increases data cache rateand suspends data transmission from the drive to DACfor longer periods of zero activity." I am sure there are more differences, but all that I know is it is far and away the best CD player I have ever heard and from a RBCD no less.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done, Russ. Why the delay from the original delivery date?

So the new product line is substantially better than anything ever before, and you are beginning to hear the vast improvement. But there is a penalty for transparency, which is what these products do so immensely well: transparency, aka being truthful to sources, can be good or bad. You have done the right thing ordering the 4000SV. In my case, these components have elevated my analog to a much higher level but at the same time my digital is becoming more and more unbearable, as the dryness is coming through quite easily. I have not yet decided if the 4000SV is my answer, their new DAC, or a dCS. I really don't like the 4000's closed, dead-end architecture, but I love the 4000SV's sound and the fact it optimizes RBCD so well - I mean really love it. I never had a desire to own any of the 4000-series players because they were not close to my analog; but the 4000SV is probably the first one that can really challenge it, and perhaps surpass it.

Enjoy, and be sure to post more details

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well done, Russ. Why the delay from the original delivery date?

So the new product line is substantially better than anything ever before, and you are beginning to hear the vast improvement. But there is a penalty for transparency, which is what these products do so immensely well: transparency, aka being truthful to sources, can be good or bad. You have done the right thing ordering the 4000SV. In my case, these components have elevated my analog to a much higher level but at the same time my digital is becoming more and more unbearable, as the dryness is coming through quite easily. I have not yet decided if the 4000SV is my answer, their new DAC, or a dCS. I really don't like the 4000's closed, dead-end architecture, but I love the 4000SV's sound and the fact it optimizes RBCD so well - I mean really love it. I never had a desire to own any of the 4000-series players because they were not close to my analog; but the 4000SV is probably the first one that can really challenge it, and perhaps surpass it.

Enjoy, and be sure to post more details

I do respect Spectral guys, and would be my choice of amp if I ever went with a speaker like the Apogees that require SS. However, on that analog-CD thing - I heard the Feickert Firebird/Lyra Etna in the same room with the Spectral 4000 - not sure if it was SV or not, possibly, because Munich showcases latest products, and the Feickert was just much better. YMMV.

Some might consider this turning yet another thread to Lampi, but given that Spectral is all SS (pre and power), do consider the Lampi in front as the valves might add some harmonics. In fact this was Marty's advice to me. He used the VTL pre, as he believes in having valves somewhere in the chain, but suggested I could go with a Spectral pre since my front end was valves.

aluets

Apr 1, 2016
Chicago,IL
Congrats Russ! I recieved my 30SV on 6/1/16. Cold out of the box I heard a difference in the first minutes; in 20 minutes (end of side 1/ LP) I was Amazed! At 1:00am (way past my bedtime) I was wishing I was younger and could keep picking LPs and playing MUSIC!!! Was worth the 5 1/2 month wait. Used DMC12 w/phono since 1996. Such an incredible transformatiom of my system w/30SV vs DMC 12. I hear the changes as quieter,faster, no "smearing" of the notes together. I could keep going on; every parameter was better. A week later I placed my order for a pr. of DMA400s. Have 360s now but I'm sure the 400s will elevate the system again and worth the wait. Happy Listening

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I do respect Spectral guys, and would be my choice of amp if I ever went with a speaker like the Apogees that require SS. However, on that analog-CD thing - I heard the Feickert Firebird/Lyra Etna in the same room with the Spectral 4000 - not sure if it was SV or not, possibly, because Munich showcases latest products, and the Feickert was just much better. YMMV.

Some might consider this turning yet another thread to Lampi, but given that Spectral is all SS (pre and power), do consider the Lampi in front as the valves might add some harmonics. In fact this was Marty's advice to me. He used the VTL pre, as he believes in having valves somewhere in the chain, but suggested I could go with a Spectral pre since my front end was valves.

He just lowered his noise floor to the abyss with these new electronics, now turn around and add a Lampizator???

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Congrats Russ! I recieved my 30SV on 6/1/16. Cold out of the box I heard a difference in the first minutes; in 20 minutes (end of side 1/ LP) I was Amazed! At 1:00am (way past my bedtime) I was wishing I was younger and could keep picking LPs and playing MUSIC!!! Was worth the 5 1/2 month wait. Used DMC12 w/phono since 1996. Such an incredible transformatiom of my system w/30SV vs DMC 12. I hear the changes as quieter,faster, no "smearing" of the notes together. I could keep going on; every parameter was better. A week later I placed my order for a pr. of DMA400s. Have 360s now but I'm sure the 400s will elevate the system again and worth the wait. Happy Listening

Congratulations Aluets,

If what I am told that the 400RS and 300RS sound identical, you better get some sleep the night before you drop the 400's in because the combination is a massive upgrade, assuming that your 360's have similar technology to my old 260. The improvement was much better than I was expecting having heard 400's at length in system without the SV preamp. It is true that a these pieces love each other.

Warning, the SDR 4000 SV just takes it another step further and is incredibly hard to resist. I truly should not be buying the SDR 4000 SV because my retirement should be more important at my age (67), but once I heard the trio, I could not resist, despite the fact that that means another MIT MAX-2 interconnect and it means that I still need my DAC for computer. ACK, I understand your dilemma, because I have been living it since hearing the 4000 SV, but then why did I buy the preamp and amp only to choke them with my DAC and transport?

Any of you are invited to stop by for a listen any time you might wish. My system configuration is not listed accurately because I have yet to figure out how to modify it. I am running Vivid G3's with MIT SD90 Rev 2 Biwire speaker wire.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
All of us on this site know that interconnects matter. The question is how much difference for the price and is the difference just different or is it actually better/more accurate. All of my comments for this thread were based on a signal path through MIT MAX interconnects and S/PDIF from transport to DAC, and MIT HD90 Rev 2 biwired spaded speaker wire. Since I am anticipating a Spectral SDR 4000SV in the next 8 weeks, I was presented with the need for another pair of interconnects because the 4000SV does not have any inputs, which will require my retaining my Meitner DAC for other digital inputs.

Since the $20k purchase price for the SDR 4000SV was way more than I wanted to spend after just buying a DMC30SV and a DMA300RS, you can imagine that I was not thrilled to have to buy another pair of expensive MIT interconnects for the 4000SV. Originally I thought I would buy another pair MAX single ended IC's (SE output only), but as is usually the case with me and probably most on this site, I had to see what a cable upgrade would cost and would it be worthwhile unless I upgraded the entire signal path. Although I have grumbled elsewhere on this site about the high cost of MIT cables, I have come to consider them essential from both a Spectral technological and sonic perspective.

So I called my MIT dealer Scott Warren to see what was possible and to determine if it would be worthwhile. My dream was to upgrade to MAX SHD's, but their new cost is just beyond what is possible for me at this time. However, Scott had a used pair of MAX-2 IC's at wonderful price that was expensive, but feasible. The question is would one MAX-2 in line with several MAX's make a difference or would the MAX limit what would be possible? Scott said the MAX-2 would be a 30%+ improvement, but that I should try it out before purchasing and determine for myself.

Although I do not understand how just improving one cable could make a difference, it was almost immediately apparent that Scott was right, they were better with regard to sound stage and image. Now that they have been in my system for about a week, it is also clear that the resolving power is also considerably better--not sure if it is 30% better, but it is enough that these cable were not going to exit my system. This is where the familiar audiophile story kicked in and I had to now have a pure MAX-2 path for the SDR 4000SV to get the best for my expensive purchase, which was becoming more expensive with each additional purchase. So, surprise, I bought another pair of MAX-2 from Scott, which arrive today. I will report on that insertion after they have been in for a week or so.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing