WTB: David Oistrakh Horenstein-Hindemith Tape Project Reel

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi guys,

I'm interested to purchase a David Oistrakh Horenstein-Hindemith Tape Project Reel. If you have it and do not like so much can be your chance to be free of that. :D

david_oistrackh.jpg

Depending on price, another titles can interest me too.

Thank you
Luiz

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Of all the TP releases this was hands down my absolute favorite. Mine ain't for sale

Yes, I love this record, and would love have this in tape ! Who knows if someone don't like it so much !

Thank you !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use the LP for my auditions. Steve's Tape was obviously much better than LP though. So quiet and dynamic

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I like mine pretty good too.

i'll try to listen to it this weekend and see if I might want to sell it. I'm TP Charter member #34, so a pretty early dub.

I've never yet sold a tape of mine. I suppose I could make a 1/2" dub and see how I like that.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I like mine pretty good too.

i'll try to listen to it this weekend and see if I might want to sell it. I'm TP Charter member #34, so a pretty early dub.

I've never yet sold a tape of mine. I suppose I could make a 1/2" dub and see how I like that.

I'm looking forward for your experience on that ! :rolleyes:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Of all the TP releases this was hands down my absolute favorite. Mine ain't for sale

Hindemith is one of my favorite composers. I think he is vastly underrated, and I would perhaps even put him in the top 10 of all composers (and yes, I know a whole lot of them, from Renaissance to hyper-modern).

The interpretation of the violin concerto on that recording is superb, as is the violin sound (I've heard the LP).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hindemith is one of my favorite composers. I think he is vastly underrated, and I would perhaps even put him in the top 10 of all composers (and yes, I know a whole lot of them, from Renaissance to hyper-modern).

The interpretation of the violin concerto on that recording is superb, as is the violin sound (I've heard the LP).

I agree Hindemith seems underrated. Even if i might not place in my own personal top 10...i absolutely enjoyed learning more about him from forums like this one, and then enjoying going out and getting more from his works. Definitely agree underrated.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For example, got this one after discovering Hindemith Violin works which many audiophiles talk about... Hindemith.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Oistrakh Hindemith/Bruch album has an interesting back story. Oistrakh only did two albums for Decca, and the latter only occurred because of a problem in the former. The plan for the first album was for Hindemith to conduct the LSO with Oistrakh playing the violin in Hindemith's Violin Concerto. The other side of the album was to be Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Violin K364, with Hindemith playing the viola part. The recording session took place on September 13-14, 1962 with Erik Smith producing and Art Lilley doing the engineering at Decca's West Hampstead Studio 3. However, Hindemith, who was a fine violist, was disgusted with his own playing and rejected the recording of the Mozart. So Decca was left with only the Hindemith. They quickly engaged Jasha Horenstein for another session with the LSO and Oistrakh, this time recording the Bruch Scottish Fantasia. This session took place ten days later at Walthamstow Assembly Hall with Alan Reeve engineer. So the Bruch, the more famous of the pieces, was really side B of the album, although on release, it became side A.

Oistrakh finally recorded the Mozart Sinfonia Concertante a year later, but with his son, Igor as the violinist, and father David as the violist (he was adept at both violin and violin). Kiril Kondrashin was the conductor of the Moscow Philharmonic and the recording was made at West Hampstead Studio 3, with Erik Smith and Ray Minshull producing and Ken 'Wilkie' Wilkinson engineering.

I prefer the wonderful Hindemith on the recording to the Bruch, although both are fine. (If you get a chance to hear Hindemith's Viola Concerto, it is also very fine.) If you listen carefully, you can hear the difference in the sonics between the two recording venues.

I have both the Tape Project release and an early London pressing of the record. The Tape Project tape is wonderful, while the record is still very fine. The original Decca album (SXL6024) is very pricey, with some copies over $1000. Tape Project's license for the recording and their other Decca album, Suite Espanola (Decca SXL6355), were both limited in number of copies and time. So, unlike the rest of their releases, they will not be issuing any more tapes of these two albums.

Tape Project was able to license these two Decca albums with the assistance of Winston Ma who first licensed the albums for his FIM label (on CD, mastered by Paul Stubblebine). The story of the album is in my Decca book published by FIM (Decca Supreme Stereophonic Legacy) and excerpts of both the Bruch and the Mozart Sinfonia Concertante are included in the four CD's included with the book (remastered by Michael Bishop and Robert Friedrich of Five/Four Productions.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the interesting story Larry !

+1! I also have both of the FIM Remastered CDs: Mozart Sinfonia and the Bruch/Hindemith. Both great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing