Are there any eBay NOS tube sellers you trust?

caesar

May 30, 2010
A buddy just pinged me. He's looking for some NOS telefunkens to get the tone just right and find the magic.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the usual audiophile tube places don't have the rare tubes at this time. And even if they did, some of the guys who run them act like they are having their period - all the time.

Does anyone know TRUSTWORTHY guys on eBay? Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ask him to contact Andy at vintage tube services. Phone him though as he doesn't respond to email easily. But he is known to provide quality long lasting well tested tubes

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I don't know about eBay but I have to give a shout out to Kevin at Upscale Audio. They know there stuff, have the goods and the tubes are guaranteed not DOA.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Just check feedback, if it's ok it's worth taking the chance as if there's an issue ebay will refund your money.

A couple recently... tehnokarat from Ukraine sent me 6 6H9C (6SL7) Melz metal-base tubes that are excellent. old_guy_radiola sent me 4 Sylvania 6188 (6SL7) that are also excellent. Great prices from both sellers as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not on ebay, but certainly have been buying tubes for YEARS from: Brent Jessee, Alfred Kaysar, Kevin at Upscale and Andy at Vintage Tubes

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fake Telefunken tubes (with the diamond logo) are now being sold in many places, even from eBay sellers with good feedback. Unless the buyer is an expert or prepared to do the homework he should buy from an experienced and trusty seller.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Fake Telefunken tubes (with the diamond logo) are now being sold in many places, even from eBay sellers with good feedback. Unless the buyer is an expert or prepared to do the homework he should buy from an experienced and trusty seller.

Fake tubes of all sorts exist these days unfortunately... definitely worth doing a little homework to make sure no matter what you're buying.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, I bought some fake Telefunken EF184s on eBay from a seller with great feedback. They're at home if anybody wants them, I'll do you a good price! :)

caesar

May 30, 2010
All, appreciate the responses. Kind of surprising to hear that eBay guys with several thousand positive feedback scores would get confused and sell fakes.

So how does one acquire the knowledge of all these tube variations so they know what the tubes they are selling actually are?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Brent Jesse is your man ! .... I would be wary of Kevin Upscale, after reading this horror story .... http://www.audioshark.org/general-audio-discussion-15/buyer-beware-my-upscale-audio-story-10020.html

I bought a Nitty Gritty 2.5FI blem from Kevin on Audiogon for a highly discounted price. After I drove all the way out to his office (hour drive), he found out that it was already sold. He honored the deal, even though he didn't have too. I'm a customer for life.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All, appreciate the responses. Kind of surprising to hear that eBay guys with several thousand positive feedback scores would get confused and sell fakes.

So how does one acquire the knowledge of all these tube variations so they know what the tubes they are selling actually are?

Long nights using google and adequate keywords, unless you have a good friend who knows it all ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing