SF Cremona Auditor M's upgrade to Guarneri Evolutions

ptrck887

Jul 8, 2016
Hello All!
Currently driving SF Cremona Auditor M's paired with 2 REL G-2's subs with McIntosh 601's and C-2300 tube preamp. Really detailed with a huge soundstage....adding 1950's RCA tubes to the line stage really created a 3D, holographic presentation with incredible imaging and focus. Hard to believe it could get better, but....as we do... I just ordered a pair of SF Guarneri Evloutions. Anyone out there had experience with these two great speakers? Would enjoy any input.
Thanks
Pat

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..love my 601s...as good as it gets. They drive my VSA VR5 Anniversary speakers but in a 2nd system we have the SF Veneres and they are very good speakers..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't want to spoil your fun so I'll just say that you are in for a treat. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't want to spoil your fun so I'll just say that you are in for a treat. ;)

+1. I have always enjoyed SF all the way back to their first generation of speakers. I would still like to hear the mighty SF Extrema which Microstrip speaks so highly of. I also owned the SF Guarneris and ran them in parallel with a big Velodyne for years.

My personal take is that (well setup and well driven) you might be surprised at how much more bass the Guarneris generate, their fullness and 'power of sound' in comparison. I also think you should find that there is a polish, refinement and depth and complexity of tapestry in your music that appears. This should be a wonderful experience.

I suspect you will find this on ALL music, but perhaps (not sure about this) you may find it more in complex acoustic (orchestral, etc) with lots of tonal shadings as opposed to, say, super-minimalist house music where with your super-powerful amps, your existing speakers probably sound fantastic already. my two cents.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Pat, as an owner of SF GH's and having heard the GE's and your CA's, I can tell you that the GE's will put a much bigger smile on your face. The GE's will be more resolving of detail, will image more precisely and will, as LL21 said above...surprise you in the bass. Although, your REL's will still be necessary.
The GE's are from the same cloth as the GH's...and certainly an upgrade over the GM's. They will benefit from careful set up---more so than your CA's. Also, if you do not have room treatment, that should be high on your list. I'm not a huge fan of McIntosh gear, but they are known to work with SF. ( BTW, as you probably know, the owner of Macintosh is also the owner of SF and ARC..I believe they are now called World of McIntosh, or some such thing:D ) Do report back once you have installed your GE's.

ptrck887

Jul 8, 2016
Thanks all....been about 2 months since the GE have been up and running...set up a bit more work than the CA's but WOW! Everything is just.... more....detail, imaging and focus. Bass, while quite good with the CA & REL set up....just more impact and depth without being over bearing. Even my wife noted the larger soundscape. She thought they were a huge upgrade. I would have to agree. Thanks all and yes DaveyF, I do have room treatments, GIK worked with me on a set up with bass traps and assorted absorption and diffusion products....a must as my dedicated listening room is only 11' x 16' x 10'H!! Lotta power in there for that little room but it works well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing