Leedh Acoustic E2 Glass Cone Speakers... Gaint Killers ?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I heard them at Munich this year. Given the show conditions caveat they are definitely worth a closer look. I thought they were one of those products that defy their looks. Big sound from a relatively small package. Don't think they have a US distributor but I would love to hear them under more ideal conditions. I'd also add that the Leedhs are one of the few modern speakers that, if I had the money I would buy based on the one auditon.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I heard them at Munich this year. Given the show conditions caveat they are definitely worth a closer look. I thought they were one of those products that defy their looks. Big sound from a relatively small package. Don't think they have a US distributor but I would love to hear them under more ideal conditions. I'd also add that the Leedhs are one of the few modern speakers that, if I had the money I would buy based on the one auditon.

+1

I was returning to that room 2 or 3 times. They have grabbed my attention 2 years ago. I would like to listen to them in controlled condition and my music.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
How do they compare to your Giyas tonally, specially in the bass?

david

The Leedh E2 Glass have better and richer tones on the overall bandwidth. Never heard before such profusion of harmonics in the trebles and in the mids. In the low end, they can compare with the Vivids with almost one subwoofer if you cut the main speakers to make your amp working in his comfort zone. With two subs, tonal response is even better but you don't get 100% of the G1's slam.
Placement of subs is undoubtedly a key issue nevertheless.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Leedh E2 Glass have better and richer tones on the overall bandwidth. Never heard before such profusion of harmonics in the trebles and in the mids. In the low end, they can compare with the Vivids with almost one subwoofer if you cut the main speakers to make your amp working in his comfort zone. With two subs, tonal response is even better but you don't get 100% of the G1's slam.
Placement of subs is undoubtedly a key issue nevertheless.

Wow, that's saying something! Time to take a serious look at this speaker.

david

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
David,

I also heard these in Munich. I was impressed with what they did on all different types of music in the 20 minutes or so I spent in the room. I would encourage anyone who is looking for speakers in that price range to see if these float thier boat. The only downside is the sensitivity which will necessitate a high power amplifier to power it.

One thing I noticed in the review is that the speaker is listed at 32K Euro, while the website has them listed @ 16K.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

David,

Sensitivity : 83 dB / 1 m / 2,83 v. It will cause you insomnia! ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

I also heard these in Munich. I was impressed with what they did on all different types of music in the 20 minutes or so I spent in the room. I would encourage anyone who is looking for speakers in that price range to see if these float thier boat. The only downside is the sensitivity which will necessitate a high power amplifier to power it.

One thing I noticed in the review is that the speaker is listed at 32K Euro, while the website has them listed @ 16K.

David,

Sensitivity : 83 dB / 1 m / 2,83 v. It will cause you insomnia! ;)

It's not to replace my speakers or system but as a dealer I need lifestyle products with higher WAF, usually sound is a compromise :( but in this case SQ might be the bonus :)! 16k euro will hit a sweet spot for this market not 30k euro. and I must admit that Joel's glowing review has peaked my own curiosity too...

david

Last edited:

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
@ Beaur,

What you heard in Munich was the prototype lacking the glass tweeter. The glass membrane tweeter has increased the overall performance that was already very good.
On the Leedh's website, the version priced at 16 K is the old one, with the carbon diaphragms. They obviously need to update their site...
But the speaker is new and just ready for distribution. I think the first lucky guys will be the previous Leedh E2 owners who will ask for an upgrade.
Anyway, it's really impressive as this side road in loudspeaker design sounds like a kind of crossroad of electrostat and bass reflex. It's also surprising how it's possible to achieve such detailed and rich tones with so small drivers. According my personal experience, tones are even better than what I could achieve with the Magnepan 20.7...
Joël

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
It's not to replace my speakers or system but as a dealer I need lifestyle products with higher WAF, usually sound is a compromise :( but in this case it might be a bonus :)! 16k euro will hit a sweet spot for this market but not 30k euro. But I must admit that Joel's glowing review has peaked my own curiosity too...

david

This is pure full range high end.
The soundstage is enormous, bigger that what I could achieve with the maggies or the Vivid G1s.
So, I would not strictly consider them as a lifestyle product. The ticket is 32 K + almost 6 K for one sub.
In terms of performance, they easily compete with my G1s, or with even pricey stuff like big Magico speakers.
But they are indeed quite invisible compared to most full range speakers (almost for the main speakers, subs are what they are...). And they need less space around them as they can (must) be placed closed to the side walls.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I first heard the older Leedh at Munich in 2014 where they were sounding great. Also heard them at Joel’s. If the new ones are much better, that is quite something, especially given how small they are. If these take off, for those who can afford them, it will solve many space issues. I would say the WAF is high as they cannot be seen. They do have a large open airy soundstage.

Joel, what amps do Leedh use for Munich demos?

Last edited:

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
To make it short, yes previous Leedh speakers were good. The last generations (Leedh E & E2) had this impressive ability to recreate such a big and focused soundstage.
Timbers and dynamics were acceptable but could not compete with the very best. Today the Glass version can really compete and soundstage seems even better.
The main limitation remains the poor sensitivity, and the need for a powerful amp with enough refinement to do justice to their very high resolution.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
Hi I first heard the older Leedh at Munich in 2014 where they were sounding great. Also heard them at Joel’s. If the new ones are much better, that is quite something, especially given how small they are. If these take off, for those who can afford them, it will small many space issues. I would say the WAF is high as they cannot be seen. They do have a large open airy soundstage.

Joel, what amps do Leedh use for Munich demos?

Hi Ked,

Its own amplification prototype and own digital source. These products are still work in progress, but they could definitely be upcoming surprises (as Milot isn't capable to release something common...). I assume that if Leedh had made a different choice about partnering amps and sources, perhaps the demo would have been even more convincing this year in Munich.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Reading this , I started with my (this past few months, usual) audiophile cynicism... then I read and read more.. They addressed directivity, to the extent of claiming constant frequency response within a solid angle of 45 degree.. then they added that the response is smooth within plus or minus 5 dB from 400 Hz to 20 KHz !!! Rather interesting numbers. The low sensitivity is a downer I read in their website 81 dB !!!!!!!! that is very, very low.... the power handling is 500 Watt ... Definitely worth a serious audition.

The French are unto something... :)

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Joel,

If they are better than I heard that's saying something as I thought they were pretty good. I agree with the characterization of the cross between 'stat and reflex. The one negative for me was that they don't have what I call, horn bokeh, that a large horn gave give the music, which i enjoy. That being said these speakers definitely have possibilities and i'd love to try them long term in my room!

I am sure eventually they will update the site but it's a bit confusing as the $16K model is also named the E2. Will be interesting to see if they can't get US distribution. Do you know if they are planning on coming to the NYC area, as I would definitely listen to the updated version.

Beau

@ Beaur,

What you heard in Munich was the prototype lacking the glass tweeter. The glass membrane tweeter has increased the overall performance that was already very good.
On the Leedh's website, the version priced at 16 K is the old one, with the carbon diaphragms. They obviously need to update their site...
But the speaker is new and just ready for distribution. I think the first lucky guys will be the previous Leedh E2 owners who will ask for an upgrade.
Anyway, it's really impressive as this side road in loudspeaker design sounds like a kind of crossroad of electrostat and bass reflex. It's also surprising how it's possible to achieve such detailed and rich tones with so small drivers. According my personal experience, tones are even better than what I could achieve with the Magnepan 20.7...
Joël

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing