Tad reference 1

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Definitely agree...they are amazing speakers; mine have a little over 360 hours on them and they have opened up and are showing what makes them world class every time I hit "play"!

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
Tad is only getting stronger. The new ME1 is the most affordable speaker to offer the TAD sound so I expect it to do very well for them.

I bought the R1 not too long ago and I take heart in knowing its a design that has stood the test of time. Im not too keen on spending big money on companies that update their products every 6 months.. a la Magico

My thoughts exactly.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
My thoughts exactly.

Agreed....The R1s, CR1s and soon to include the ME1 is a best approach once & done line of speakers. I have a lot of respect for many other brands of speakers, pre-amps, amps, etc...out there but when I see many of them continue to roll out new models and applaud them as the best they've ever done, only to be followed 6-12 months later by more of the same, I always wonder about investing in such a line. Beyond the obvious devaluation of the prior models and undermining the investments of their -1 revision customers, I have shy'ed away from buying such speakers or components as I would not like the feeling that 'the next great revision' is just around the corner; not that there is not real innovation in the newer models, but that as an audio nut, it would leave me obsessing about spending even more well before it's time to do so. Don't get me wrong, I've upgraded transports, DACs, pre-amps, etc...in the lines I favor but the prior revisions easily gave me 6-8 years of peace of mind before a huge uptick in performance or sound came out.... Again, FWIW.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Immense speakers; very capable when we used them at T.H.E Show in 2014, although we did need to lean them back a bit to tame a slightly upfront HF, and by Sunday they were sounding very good indeed. Great off axis, as were the CR1's we used also, but the REF 1's were in another league in the bass.

Congratulations on the re-marriage!

You can see in this image that they are tilted back more than the normal spikes would allow, we had to be a bit creative..

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Immense speakers; very capable when we used them at T.H.E Show in 2014, although we did need to lean them back a bit to tame a slightly upfront HF, and by Sunday they were sounding very good indeed. Great off axis, as were the CR1's we used also, but the REF 1's were in another league in the bass.

You can see in this image that they are tilted back more than the normal spikes would allow, we had to be a bit creative..

I have a very similar setup using Stillpoints ULTRA5 footers which are massive on the bottom of my Ref1 MkIIs. Puts the tweeter back a bit more than the flat bases of R1 on carpet.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
SC, that's the better option for long term use in my opinion, I always get better sound using some sort of footer such as the Cerabases etc.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

I remember this system well. IMHO, it was the best of show that year. The TAD1's were totally full range. As Paul stated, they were in a different league to the CR1's. I also particularly liked the TT in play, if I remember correctly, it was some version of a classic Denon ( perhaps Paul can help out here).
This TT was truly superb sounding and anchored the system well. Oh, the stands weren't too bad either...:rolleyes:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
SC, that's the better option for long term use in my opinion, I always get better sound using some sort of footer such as the Cerabases etc.

Thank you....they are great sonically and tighten up the R1 even more than its default options; aesthetically they also look great which is a bonus. Have a great day!

This R1 show system from 2014 must have sounded amazing from all I've seen in the photo (components, etc...)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I remember this system well. IMHO, it was the best of show that year. The TAD1's were totally full range. As Paul stated, they were in a different league to the CR1's. I also particularly liked the TT in play, if I remember correctly, it was some version of a classic Denon ( perhaps Paul can help out here).
This TT was truly superb sounding and anchored the system well. Oh, the stands weren't too bad either...:rolleyes:

Hi Davey, yes, that TT is really something else, it is one of Masataka Tsuda's rebuilds of the Denon DP3000 that he treats as his hobby :) It is taken to the max under the skin with new circuit boards, sapphire bearings ext PSU etc. Cart was the My Sonic Emininent iirc, Denon tonearm. All sounded very natural, and I do remember your frequent visits ;-)

SC, as Davey said above, it did pretty well..

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
The TAD R1 MkIIs are truly amazing speakers; every time I hit play, regardless of material, I am shown music and my collection as I've never fully heard them before. Thanks to everyone else here who recommended them. I'm kind of speechless beyond the "OMFG.." phase about how good they sound and the inner detail + so many other aspects of how they perform!!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The TAD R1 MkIIs are truly amazing speakers; every time I hit play, regardless of material, I am shown music and my collection as I've never fully heard them before. Thanks to everyone else here who recommended them. I'm kind of speechless beyond the "OMFG.." phase about how good they sound and the inner detail + so many other aspects of how they perform!!!

If you have the room to place these ( fairly big IF) then I believe the TAD reference 1's are some of the best speakers extant. Certainly would be on my short list, along with the Vivid GiyaG1's and Spirits and the YG Sophia's.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Tad is only getting stronger. The new ME1 is the most affordable speaker to offer the TAD sound so I expect it to do very well for them.

I bought the R1 not too long ago and I take heart in knowing its a design that has stood the test of time. Im not too keen on spending big money on companies that update their products every 6 months.. a la Magico

Sure, better to buy a product that has not been updated for 10 years:rolleyes:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
TAD products stand the test of time.

Actually, not quite. TAD , has been sold, or/and split from Pioneer, and from what I heard, not a real thing anymore (without Andrew Johns, that is now with ELAC, there is not much there anyway).
Perhaps an update or two would have made a difference ;)

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
I'm sorry but I don't really understand what your saying.

I agree a few updates may be useful. A TAD phono stage would be nice.

Considering the engineering and build quality of TAD gear I still stand by my comment that TAD products do stand the test of time. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

Considering the price outplayed for high end stereo these days it's a quality I value highly.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
TAD's design is still excellent and will be until new technology makes all existing speakers obsolete.

The Ref series Be midrange and tweeter are arguably the best drivers in existence.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
TAD's design is still excellent and will be until new technology makes all existing speakers obsolete.

The Ref series Be midrange and tweeter are arguably the best drivers in existence.

+1 on all this and supporting comments (for TAD R1s) below; I'd rather own a speaker that whose design has been stable and judged the best possible from that vendor at a given level (R1s) for several years and then hear the proof every time I hit play than to buy a 'best' speaker from another manufacturer and see new models pop out every 6-9 months giving me the feeling my investment should have waited, will continuously devalue rapidly over time due to the constant release of new models, they weren't really 'done' or 'at the best levels', etc...The latter screams 'plan to maximize' not 'plan to maximize user value and satisfaction in products purchase'...

Andrew Jones leaving TAD and change of leadership is an event for sure but it's more of a milestone than some tragic thing. My R1s, shipped last December prove the team that is left behind knows how to build one hell of a speaker (from a great design). A team is NOT about 1 guy...TAD is proving that today. Perhaps now that the predominant ego and voice is out of the room, the rest of the team will get the kudos they deserve.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
+1 on all this and supporting comments (for TAD R1s) below; I'd rather own a speaker that whose design has been stable and judged the best possible from that vendor at a given level (R1s) for several years and then hear the proof every time I hit play than to buy a 'best' speaker from another manufacturer and see new models pop out every 6-9 months giving me the feeling my investment should have waited, will continuously devalue rapidly over time due to the constant release of new models, they weren't really 'done' or 'at the best levels', etc...The latter screams 'plan to maximize' not 'plan to maximize user value and satisfaction in products purchase'...

Andrew Jones leaving TAD and change of leadership is an event for sure but it's more of a milestone than some tragic thing. My R1s, shipped last December prove the team that is left behind knows how to build one hell of a speaker (from a great design). A team is NOT about 1 guy...TAD is proving that today. Perhaps now that the predominant ego and voice is out of the room, the rest of the team will get the kudos they deserve.

We all like to tell ourselves stories we like… "Milestone", LOL. Without AJ and Pioneer TAD, unfortunately, is just a brand .
I am sure that nothing is wrong with your speakers, whatever they are, but claiming that what you have can’t be improved, is ridicules.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing