Shunyata Delta PC, coming or not?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
My apologies for missing your inquiry, earlier. We are still waiting on some cosmetic parts. I will make announcements here and elsewhere as soon as the new series of power cords and signal cables are complete and ready for shipment.

Thanks,

Grant

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Hello Grant,

You wrote in the past that when choosing a power cord from the wall to the conditioner that it doesn't necessarily have to be a Delta, Alpha or Sigma. That your new EF cable should be adequate enough to deliver power to the conditioner so than it can perform it's function. Later in this thread, you pointed out that depending on the number of outlets that are being used, that a certain amount of care should be taken when picking the quality of the power cord from the wall to the conditioner. If a end user chooses not to use your new NR cables just about to be released. Do you still have reservations about using the EF in that key position.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

There are no reservations because the key element for the Denali to-wall power cord is related to wire-gauge and quality connectors/terminations. The more electronics going into the Denali, the better those qualities should be. The top-model EF power cord is the near equivalent to the Sigma and the more reasonably priced EF power cord would be near identical to the Alpha HC in terms of gauge/connections/quality. The difference would be neither EF model will have the noise-filtration, which on the Denali is less critical because of the massive on-board filtering. For products like the Triton v3 or other more passive models, the EF cords would work well too, but the added noise filter on the Alpha or Sigma models may make a worthwhile difference. The EF power cords won't be available for another 30-60 days.

In general, as more components are plugged into any power-unit used for audio/video playback, the more critical the quality of the power cord to the wall becomes. It should always be _at least_ the equal of the best power cord going to any component. Once you are up to 5-6+ components into a power distributor, the cord to the wall should be of exceptional quality.

Best regards,

Grant

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Hello Grant,
Talking about Denali caring "only" about gauge and quality from the wall into conditioner. What gauge are the new Sigma NR and Sigma EF?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I'll repeat my response to a similar question, posted on another forum.

Hi,

My apologies for the delay in response but I was traveling overseas and returned to a backlog of communication.

I discussed the new products and the idea of gauge-importance raised here with Caelin --and as many may imagine, came away with more information than a simple answer to a question about aggregate gauge

While gauge is important, it is more important to look at the total “power transfer function” capability in any device, or in power cord being used for dynamic-draw electronics, amps or power conditioners.

Power-Transfer function is determined by wire gauge, inductance of the cable and the contact junctions.

As wire gauge becomes greater, the quality of the contact junctions actually becomes MORE important because all that current must move through a small contact area. This is why we design and manufacture our own massive-contact-area connectors, the CopperConn's. Some manufacturers claim large gauge, then shave the conductors down at both ends to squeeze the wire into the connector because 6 gauge of power-wire won't fit into normal AC connectors. We designed-in massive contact points made of solid copper that accommodates almost any massive gauge wire-set.

It's important to point out that while wire gauge is important-- it is NOT the most important element in power cord performance.

For example, our VTX (virtual-tube) conductors have vanishingly low measured inductance compared to any equivalent sized normal conductor. VTX conductors actually conduct more instantaneous current than any normal or solid-core wire of the same size. This is one of the reasons we use VTX conductors in all of our power products including in our power conditioners.

The NR and EF cables are now made with single-run VTX conductors. That means that there are not multiple wires bundled to create larger gauges.

All that said, the wire gauge of the NR power cords will be:

SIGMA NR/EF: VTX-06 gauge
ALPHA NR/EF: VTX-08 gague
DELTA NR/EF: VTX-10 gauge

Also noteworthy, will be another increase in flexibility. All the NR/EF power cords will be _extremely_ easy to bend, twist and will be very light-weight compared to existing models. We are still a few weeks away from announcing the newer models.

Hopefully, I will have samples available for Axpona in Chicago in April.

Regards,

Grant

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'll repeat my response to a similar question, posted on another forum.

Hi,

My apologies for the delay in response but I was traveling overseas and returned to a backlog of communication.

I discussed the new products and the idea of gauge-importance raised here with Caelin --and as many may imagine, came away with more information than a simple answer to a question about aggregate gauge

While gauge is important, it is more important to look at the total “power transfer function” capability in any device, or in power cord being used for dynamic-draw electronics, amps or power conditioners.

Power-Transfer function is determined by wire gauge, inductance of the cable and the contact junctions.

As wire gauge becomes greater, the quality of the contact junctions actually becomes MORE important because all that current must move through a small contact area. This is why we design and manufacture our own massive-contact-area connectors, the CopperConn's. Some manufacturers claim large gauge, then shave the conductors down at both ends to squeeze the wire into the connector because 6 gauge of power-wire won't fit into normal AC connectors. We designed-in massive contact points made of solid copper that accommodates almost any massive gauge wire-set.

It's important to point out that while wire gauge is important-- it is NOT the most important element in power cord performance.

For example, our VTX (virtual-tube) conductors have vanishingly low measured inductance compared to any equivalent sized normal conductor. VTX conductors actually conduct more instantaneous current than any normal or solid-core wire of the same size. This is one of the reasons we use VTX conductors in all of our power products including in our power conditioners.

The NR and EF cables are now made with single-run VTX conductors. That means that there are not multiple wires bundled to create larger gauges.

Also noteworthy, will be another increase in flexibility. All the NR/EF power cords will be _extremely_ easy to bend, twist and will be very light-weight compared to existing models. We are still a few weeks away from announcing the newer models.

Hopefully, I will have samples available for Axpona in Chicago in April.

Regards,

Grant

Grant,

When do you expect that the new cables with Shucko plugs will be available in the European market?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
The NR and EF power cords for all countries should be available to ship sometime in week 3-4 of April.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

(...)

So the best cable for digital sources and accessories (clock, upsampler, transport) should be the new ALPHA NR?

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Hello Grant,

Simply put, I'd like to know what would be an appropriate choice in power cords for my DAC? I currently have the Berkeley Audio Design, Reference Alpha DAC (RS-1) and as pointed out by other posts in this thread and others threads is that a DAC is not a purely digital device. So as much worthy praise that has been given to the current ETRON lines, the Sigma seems to out perform the Alpha. In fact, I recall several end users preferring the performance of the Sigma Digital over the Alpha HC by a considerably margin. But because the DAC is not a simply pure digital operating device a Sigma Analog or Sigma HC power cord seemed to work better than the Alpha line choices. Of course, the Alpha is an excellent product.

Now with the emergence of the new NR/EF variants we customers have something new to chew on. My question is: with past recommendations from Shunyata pointing toward a "non digital" power cord for a DAC what would you suggest as of today from either the current line or the new line of products?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Speaking only for myself, you might have to experiment to find the most appropriate power cable. For example, when I replaced a Zitron Cobra with an Alpha Digital on my Bryston BDP1 file player I was amazed at the improvement. When I did the same thing on the BDA-2 DAC I didn't notice a difference. However, at the end of the day, the Shunyata technology is amazing. I am now listening to my upgraded Triton v3 and loving it. Good luck.

Zorro

Jan 21, 2017
It is definitely best to try out the cable in your system before making a buying decision as there are so many variables involved. In my little experience testing the Alpha HC against the Sigma Analog, the Sigma was clearly the better cable powering my DAC and especially the Denali power conditioner. Not a day and night thing for me but it was noticeably better.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Thanks guys,

There is definitely an audition in the near future which I'll be exploring the possibilities for my system. BlueFox you have invested a lot of Sigma cords into your rig. I was wondering about something perhaps you can answer.

The retail price of the new Sigma NR's are double that of the new Alpha NR ($3k over $1.5k). Since there will no longer be a Digital, Analog or HC choice. What do you think accounts for that up tick in price? KPIP would cut down the time for an audition impressions. The new Sigma EF cable removes the filtering for $500 less. New Sigma NR's, like the current design, uses a 6 gauge VTX conductors which may not be continuous. Even the new Alpha NR's share the same aesthetics as the current Sigma but what element/s account for the price jump? Grant may share what he knows. Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
While I have no idea how Shunyata determines their prices, I have always felt their pricing was fair, especially considering the performance. I expect the Sigma to be a better cord than the Alpha, which would result in a higher price. I suspect the conductor, noise filter, DTCD response, and connectors to be better than the Alpha series. Plus they are hand made in the US, so all that together adds up to a higher price. If you look at Shunyata's history it appears each generation gets better performance at a similar, or lower price. No complaints from me, although I am not planning to buy anymore cables in the near future.

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
Seems like the Delta NR is a great value, basically comparable to the current Alpha Digital/Analog line. Same wire gauge and a noise reduction circuit.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
With the Axpona show this weekend I wonder if Shunyata will publicly show their new products.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
With the Axpona show this weekend I wonder if Shunyata will publicly show their new products.

Yes, Brandon Lauer and I are here and have some of the new products in the system and on display. We received our new parts this week and should be in a position to begin initial shipments sometime next week. The web-site updates on the new product lines will also be coming soon.

Regards,

Grant

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks guys,

There is definitely an audition in the near future which I'll be exploring the possibilities for my system. BlueFox you have invested a lot of Sigma cords into your rig. I was wondering about something perhaps you can answer.

The retail price of the new Sigma NR's are double that of the new Alpha NR ($3k over $1.5k). Since there will no longer be a Digital, Analog or HC choice. What do you think accounts for that up tick in price? KPIP would cut down the time for an audition impressions. The new Sigma EF cable removes the filtering for $500 less. New Sigma NR's, like the current design, uses a 6 gauge VTX conductors which may not be continuous. Even the new Alpha NR's share the same aesthetics as the current Sigma but what element/s account for the price jump? Grant may share what he knows. Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers

My apologies for missing your question.

The Sigma models do require significantly more hand work in terms of termination at both ends given the massive wire size. Also, the quality of the conductors is higher than in the previous Sigma HC model, so even with amps we feel there is a small uptick in performance, though I don't encourage anyone switch from the SHC to the NR model.

We very purposefully keep all of our retail prices very close to what they _have to be_ considering parts, materials and hand labor costs. Its a significant market advantage of ours, as is Caelin's design prowess in creating our own solid-copper connectors, hollow-core VTX OFE conductors, KPIP (conditioning process) and his proprietary on-board noise filtering, which he's also improved. Whether you look at our power-distributors, power cords or signal cables, Caelin designs all of the parts and materials and owns seven-patents -and counting. All of that customization and exclusive parts manufacturing costs a good deal of money, which is why you see other companies using OEM parts or more common parts and materials.

The key question in my mind, is how do our products at their retail prices, compare with more expensive competitive designs, some costing $16,000 for a power cord, or $25,000 and up for speaker cables? We can explain why our products cost what they do. We provide detail regarding the science, patents and custom-made parts. When spending so much $ on any product, that should always be an expectation and at times, I don't see that with the cable industry. I'm proud of the way we conduct our business and think the value of our products hold up.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at grant@shunyata.com

Best regards,

Grant

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Yes, Brandon Lauer and I are here and have some of the new products in the system and on display. We received our new parts this week and should be in a position to begin initial shipments sometime next week. The web-site updates on the new product lines will also be coming soon.

Regards,

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks. I saw a picture of the Sigma interconnect on another forum. However, it looked like some kind of "Box" on the cable. Is this some kind of new technology? Exclusive to the Sigma line?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Grant,

Thanks. I saw a picture of the Sigma interconnect on another forum. However, it looked like some kind of "Box" on the cable. Is this some kind of new technology? Exclusive to the Sigma line?

Yes, Sigma only. The device is a Transverse Axial Polarizer (TAP), which has a patent-pending. A short excerpt from the patent application:

"TAP is a device that interacts with the EM field generated by the signal traveling along the signal cable.TAP improves the sonic performance of the cable by modifying the behavior of the electromagnetic wave that surrounds the signal cable."

The performance difference with and without the TAP applied is quite dramatic, so its worth a listen when they become available in a couple weeks.

There will be more published on our web-site within the next 10-14 days.

Best regards,

Grant

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Regards,

Grant

Darn Grant, I just missed you. Brandon and I spoke though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing