Minus K Isolation Platform BM-8

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have had two different Minus K platforms. Once the load is centralized it does not wander from being level. The only thing I found was every once in a while the was the vertical load would be higher or lower and it took maybe one or two cranks to get the indicator back to center. About five seconds of your time. No big deal.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pcosta, I'm soon to audition Minus K v Herzan TS-150
Will be sitting directly on the floor
Will be fascinated to hear the results
My tt currently has Rollerblock lateral isoln and magnetic feet vertical isoln
Can SOTA passive or active truly beat this?

Last edited:

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Pcosta, I'm soon to audition Minus K v Herzan TS-150
Will be sitting directly on the floor
Will be fascinated to hear the results
My tt currently has Rollerblock lateral isoln and magnetic feet vertical isoln
Can SOTA passive or active truly beat this?

In my experience it depends where it is used. In a room with non cement floors, it is a necessity in my experience. I had rollerblocks under a solid platform and it did nothing for isolation in an upper floor of my home, in my application. Noise was still transmitted through the floor. I did not have mag feet like you do. I only have hands on experience with Minus K.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I've gone from 22x27 solid concrete to 18x60 suspended timber, so let's see

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Here we go
UK distribr of Minus K BM-8 bringing one over w 17kg ballast plate to max out on optimal loading
Will be a-b'g not versus Herzan, but a Japanese electronic piezo-electric sensor active platform (same tech as Herzan) for a true passive v active comparison
Hoping to get onto this tonight and post findings in a few days
My good friend Blue58 is coming over on Sat to give a considered second opinion

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Here we go
UK distribr of Minus K BM-8 bringing one over w 17kg ballast plate to max out on optimal loading
Will be a-b'g not versus Herzan, but a Japanese electronic piezo-electric sensor active platform (same tech as Herzan) for a true passive v active comparison

Love to hear about your experience with this. I'm going Minus K or perhaps Stacore or Herzan type.

Stacore is too small a foot print so I will have deal with a custom size and upcharge. Minus K would be the most cost effective.

Let us know your impressions.

Thanks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here we go

It's been over two weeks since your post, Marc. What did you, the Minus K distributor, and your friend Blue58 conclude?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alas, trial postponed
It wasn't practical to do things on the flr, and the preloading plate for the MK was impractical
When I sort out an inert 3 tier rack for the tt to get my rig up at a more practical height and a better plate for the MK, I'll return to the trial

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Perhaps you could find a lead plate as a ballast. Its much more dense (=smaller size at the given weight) and
much better damped than e.g. steel. Looks very good on paper although haven't experimented with it (due to the EU regulations, wouldn't
be able to use it anyway) so no idea on the sound signature. Just a thought.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Jarek
I need to get a ballast plate pretty much the same size as the MK ie 20" X 18" so I can place the whole tt on it
I remain somewhat skeptical of the real world practicality of the MK
In my brief time trying to get loading right, it was not easy to position my assymetrically loaded tt w'out the platform remaining fussy and suboptimal
Certainly the Stacore Adv and active Kuraka will be a lot easier to implement

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
In my experience it depends where it is used. In a room with non cement floors, it is a necessity in my experience. I had rollerblocks under a solid platform and it did nothing for isolation in an upper floor of my home, in my application. Noise was still transmitted through the floor. I did not have mag feet like you do. I only have hands on experience with Minus K.

Hi PCosta

Do you still have the Minus k platform under your TW table?

I saw you selling a MinusvK, so wondering what you may have moved on to.

Cheers

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Hi PCosta

Cheers

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi PCosta

Cheers

I sold it. Effective unit, but a pain in the a$$ to get it all centered and a level top. I was using the BM-1, really big. thumbnail_20170307_181057.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I agree
I had a BM8 in for trial
Could never satisfactorily get my tt centre of gravity right for it
Additionally any material I used as ballast plate to take up to optimal loading limit was audible as a colouration
Decided to go w Stacore Advanced passive platform

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV, how big is the footprint you need? The area of our platforms is 580mm x 480mm

Thanks,

Hi Jarek.

For my technics SL1000mk3 - the 580mm x 480mm is plenty - weighs around 40kg's.

the TW Raven AC3 sits on a platform of 680mm x 500mm. weighs around 68-70 kg's in total I believe. I think I may be able to maybe get down to 480mm depth - but can't see the length getting down below 650mm. I have another motor config that I will try later when the table is set up again which may get below 650mm.

Can't test atm as I am waiting on another arm ring so I can move my Thales arm from the Technics to TW reasonably easy. Been using the one platform for both - so not ideal.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
the TW Raven AC3 sits on a platform of 680mm x 500mm. weighs around 68-70 kg's in total I believe. I think I may be able to maybe get down to 480mm depth - but can't see the length getting down below 650mm. I have another motor config that I will try later when the table is set up again which may get below 650mm.

Can't test atm as I am waiting on another arm ring so I can move my Thales arm from the Technics to TW reasonably easy. Been using the one platform for both - so not ideal.

Hi again XV,

I can propose 2 options for your TW:

* If you'd be interested in Advanced, we could make the top (floating) plate larger than the base.
We could also use larger diameter bearing balls to rise the load capability of the platform a bit (still to be tested).
This can wok ok if the center of mass of the whole tt is not offset from the center too much (not too close to the overhang).
This would be a cheaper option but I guess with somewhat compromised esthetics due to the overhanging top plate.
But I can make some simple visualizations if you like, may still look interesting.

*[more expensive] Custom size platform. Big sizes are no problem for us.

Cheers,

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi again XV,

I can propose 2 options for your TW:

* If you'd be interested in Advanced, we could make the top (floating) plate larger than the base.
We could also use larger diameter bearing balls to rise the load capability of the platform a bit (still to be tested).
This can wok ok if the center of mass of the whole tt is not offset from the center too much (not too close to the overhang).
This would be a cheaper option but I guess with somewhat compromised esthetics due to the overhanging top plate.
But I can make some simple visualizations if you like, may still look interesting.

*[more expensive] Custom size platform. Big sizes are no problem for us.

Cheers,

Hi Jarek

you will see below the below picture that only the left and right motors are on the outside and the majority of the weight is in the middle, so the cheaper option will not be a problem. will pm you for more details when I am able to set the TW and measure later this month.

regards

Attachments

• tw photo.jpg
    tw photo.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 254

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the feedback. Since the TW with BN platter weighs close to 70kgs, the BM1 is the only option. I have always been hesitant to get the Minus K due to the very issues you have mentioned and the relative high cost in AU.
I also like to change cartridges and arms, so sounds like it may be a bit of a hassle for that.

As an el cheapo version, I highly recommend using 4 or 6 compression springs under a large piece of granite. Works very well with my TW.

The Stacore Marc mentions greatly interests me, however I don't think its large enough to hold the 3 motor TW table.

XV-1

The BM-8 is an option if you talk to Minus K, or use another larger platform on top of the unit to get more work area. I was ready to go to that, but decided against it and eventually sold it.
I have a friend with a Vibraplane and I like how it works. Self leveling and cheaper when new. As for how effective it is I can't answer that. I my experience a solid heavy rack is the place to start and that is probably as far as I will take mine.
I am considering TW's triple motor unit like the Black Night, do you have an opinion on that?

I bought my BM-1 used and sold it for what I paid so no financial loss.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing