Minus K Isolation Platform BM-8

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On top of Gat is Shakti Stone ,Byee QUANTUM SIGNAL ENHANCER and stillponts ERS paper,they are not isolater,they eliminate EMI/EMF.

Yes ,is hansen speaker.

My friend is also gat preamp.
He upgrade to Gryphon mephisto several month ago. And have try on a minusk BM1 platform , that was a big upgrade to mephisto.

Very nice! I definitely like myColosseum on top of Ultra 5s...have not tried the MinusK...sounds like a worthwhile experiment.

Meanwhile on my CJ GAT...i use Entreq wraps around the power cable to reduce emi/rfi and the GAT is plugged into Nordost Quantum QX4, but I have not used ERS paper on top...what improvement did the ERS paper make?

I might give that a try! Thanks for any guidance!

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011
My friend use Ultra 5 too(Which I sell to him,because I use minusk all now).But minus k is much much more awesome.:D

IMG_20160714_113250_HHT.jpg IMG_20160714_113414.jpg

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011
ERS paper will more quiet, but not too big different.
The Shakti Stone have more obvious effect. You should try this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great photos! Thanks ASDFFX. I know the Stillpoints distributor and will ask him about ERS Stillpoints paper, just to try.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
My friend use 150-BM8 also

Thanks.Looks like your friend would be 10Kg lite to maximize the full 150-BM8 benefit.I will get back to you regarding setup tips for when mine arrives.
Cheers Stump

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011
Yes ,but this is very easy to handle, because you just have to add some weight on it to reach the maximize, he do that now.I have no photo of that.
I thinks higher payload is more flexible,because you can add some other accessory or you may change to other TT one day.If payload is smaller than you whole setup weight, you have to change the platform.That was waste money.
And the price of minus k between different payload is very little.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Have been looking at how vibration has everything to do with the end result of the music I hear.Removing external micro vibration from the cart needle will give cleaner sound.I was not expecting big results from the latest upgrade but have to say it has been amazing.From room treatments to the Minus-K you do not realize how much distortion is there until its gone.:)

Stump

Attachments

• PB010652.JPG
    PB010652.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 453
  • PB010647.JPG
    PB010647.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 449
  • PB010637.JPG
    PB010637.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 433

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hey Stump....nice to see the master innovation upgrade. If you have a stillpoint LP1 lying around, try it on your arm board where the bolt is that affixes it to TT is. I do that with my Master Innovation table. I found it beneficial.

RedSectorA

Feb 19, 2014
Very nice system Stump,

So if I understand well you like what the Minus K is doing?

One question for you, what did the Stillpoints bring to the turntable? Curious to know if it's a worthwhile expense considering the BM-8 is doing an excellent job job filtering noise.

Dan

Last edited:

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Hey Stump....nice to see the master innovation upgrade. If you have a stillpoint LP1 lying around, try it on your arm board where the bolt is that affixes it to TT is. I do that with my Master Innovation table. I found it beneficial.

Thanks for the tip Christian
The upgrade took a while as I didn't expect the innovation could sound much better.It has made a big difference together with the Minus-K .Did you notice the magnetic platter thickness is different to the original Master?I changed the battery for my Acc+ Drive a few month back.As we bought about the same time have you had to do the same?
Cheers Stump

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Very nice system Stump,

So if I understand well you like what the Minus K is doing?

One question for you, what did the Stillpoints bring to the turntable? Curious to know if it's a worthwhile expense considering the BM-8 is doing an excellent job job filtering noise.

Dan
Hello Dan
I'm a big believer when it comes to turntables, vibration is everything.I used the stillpoints for a number of years with the CL innovation and did the upgrade to master and minus-k together with a big difference .During my research I spoke with Mark Dohmann ( Dohmann Helix 1 Turntable) who explained minus-k and stillpoints work in different ways so both are beneficial to the end results.As its only been a week the changes are very apparent.But like most tweaks give it a few weeks and it becomes normal,:)
Stump

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for the tip Christian
The upgrade took a while as I didn't expect the innovation could sound much better.It has made a big difference together with the Minus-K .Did you notice the magnetic platter thickness is different to the original Master?I changed the battery for my Acc+ Drive a few month back.As we bought about the same time have you had to do the same?
Cheers Stump

I did not notice the difference in platter thickness....what's the story with that ?

My original lead acid battery in the ACCU+ crapped out a few months back. I replaced it with a Powersonic lead acid battery and works great again. I'm glad it's user serviceable in that regard.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
I don't have details of the difference but if you look close to where the belt sits on mine there is about 5mm difference to the original .This must have been added to the half above to add the extra weight maybe......

user510

Jul 12, 2011
Raymond, Wa USA
www.theanalogdept.com

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but hopefully not too late. Above is a photo of my Minus-k 150 BM-1 supporting a TD124 in heavy slate. The Minus-k does make a difference that can be heard. I wrote a review of this unit back in March 2013. Here's a link to that article:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/minus_k.htm

The review covers my initial setup and then impressions and observations.
I hope this is of some use.
-Steve

Attachments

• DSC_3321.jpg
    DSC_3321.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 499

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Atm in comms w UK distribr of MK to audition BM-8 on an oversize rack for my rim drive tt
Convinced about the potential performance from 0.5Hz isoln data and price wrt alternatives
Less convinced about its fussiness re setup, and I need reassurance on how to get demo right

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011
I think the setup it not too fussiness for TT.
What is your situation now? Can you send some photo of your setup ?Weight of your TT ,size of your TT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff user510!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My 30kg tt goes on a 25-48kg MK, meaning 18kg additional loading needed
It's centre of gravity is assymetrically loaded w most wt being in rear foot, central placed, to right is cantilevered arm pod, to left is seperate rim drive motor pod
17" X 15" footprint to fit on 20" X 18" platform

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I'm going to make a commitment to an more robust isolation platform. Currently, I have a mass loaded table that was originally from a Goldmund Reference turntable with it's 2" thick brass plate on top. I've modified the footers to accept Finite-Elemente cerabase footers. .. it works well but I want to take it to another level. I am thinking of the Minus- K or the Spiers Robertson active table AM-DVIA-60x70

Has anyone had any experience with the Minus - K going out of level over time? - this would be a critical no-go for me. Has anyone experienced the Spiers Robertson solution? If so, what is the cost?

Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing