Turntable for 78 RPM...

stevem5000

Jul 2, 2016
I have a JVC JL-F50 with an DL-110 cartridge...Satisfied with it...
Primary use is digitizing LP's into CD's...I do LOT of it...convert entire LP collections...Retirement hobby...

Client has about 3-400 78 RPM records he wants me to convert...My JVC is only 33/45...so I need a 78 RPM turntable and cartridge suitable for 78 RPM...

I found a Stanton STR8-80 which plays all 3 speeds and a variable speed adjustment because many older 78 RPM records were not recorded at 78 rpm...
with an extra head so I thought I would get it...drop my DL-110 cart on one head and some suitable cart for 78 rpm on the other head...get rid of my JVC...

Reading up on the Stanton...the short 8" tonearm is a concern...tracking...excessive wear on the grooves...etc...

So...since I really don't have space for a 2ed TT...I am looking for a decent quality 3 speed TT...direct drive...
At least as good as my JVC...that I can replace the head to accomodate a couple of cartridges...

Any suggestions...budget around $250 or so...

Thanks for you help...
Steve

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
How to check which 78 was cut at 78rpm and which is not?
Just by hearing?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://www.78rpm.com/faq.htm

"Vintage records fall into two categories: disc and cylinder. Vintage disc records were made roughly from 1890 to 1960. They are also referred to as coarse-groove or short play (SP) records. Most commonly, vintage disc records are referred to as ‘78s’, referring to a speed of 78 revolutions per minute (rpm). However, the 78 speed was not fully standardized until the late 20s and early 30s; prior to this time, playing speeds ranged anywhere from 60 to 130 rpm! Most of the pre-1925 records one encounters today will play properly at speeds ranging from 72-82 rpm. (Edison Diamond Disc records all play at 80.) "
_________

http://www.soundhifi.com/78rpm.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing