Jeff's Stereo Den

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If those sound half as good as they look you will be a very happy man.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
PBN has a great custom shop, he makes a lot of custom speaker for pretty famous rock stars and actors out here in California. I asked for him to make an MTM version of the speaker in the link below in a hexagon shape that many of his $100K+ speakers are made in. I have to say I'm very happy so far. They will need about 300 hours of break in due to the compression driver.

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/m2-5-loudspeaker

Thanks! Quite cool. I note that his mono amps also seem quite behmoth...1 farad of capacitance! I think that is equivalent to the mighty Gryphon Mephisto Monos which are 500,000 microfarads per monoblock.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Jeff! They look fantastic!

Is the speaker the M2!5 but simply with the horn in the middle?

I cannot wait to hear them!

What are your initial listening impressions versus the Stealth VIs they replaced?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations, Jeff! They look fantastic!

Is the speaker the M2!5 but simply with the horn in the middle?

I cannot wait to hear them!

What are your initial listening impressions versus the Stealth VIs they replaced?

They are different that the 2!5's in a few ways:

1. MTM config
2. Hexagon shape which reduces internal standing waves
3. 15's are in separate enclosures
4. 12" taller, much higher image

Vs Quintessence I'd have to say they are more dynamic. The Quintessence are excellent speakers, but I really missed the sound and ease of horns. The M2 horn/wave guide is unlike any horn created before, zero cupped hands and much better off axis performance. You had to really sit in one place, perfectly straight to get the best out of the Avantgardes.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congrats Jeff - hope the break in is going well.

Peter says about 300 hours. Once they're broken in I'll look forward to your visit. You helped me dial in the placement of the last speakers Keith, I'll look for the same service when you visit!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
2235H that are completely rebuilt by PBN, only the original basket remains. When Keith comes down for a listen you should come along.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
As these are somewhat different from what PBN shows, are your speakers ported and if so, where? Impact aside, how do they compare down at the lowest registers to your previous very full range speakers?

They are ported from the back. These speakers are totally full range and have great impact, I couldn't ask for more.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The speakers are made of three individual boxes, one for each driver. Both 15's are ported at the back and the compression driver is sealed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing