Jeff's Stereo Den

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
Because they look cool. In all seriousness, the top plates of the Lamm amps ring when tapped so the HRS remove the ringing and reduce vibration.

I know you are against any tweeking of the Lamms...but I just can't help myself.

Fair enough Jeff :)! I was only wondering what you heard when you dropped the weight on the amps, that's all.

david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Fair enough Jeff :)! I was only wondering what you heard when you dropped the weight on the amps, that's all.

david

David,
At low volume, I honestly heard no different in sound. At higher volumes, and especially bass heavy music I heard a noticeable difference in sound. Less distortion and smearing of vocals that were slightly elevated at higher listening levels.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
At low volume, I honestly heard no different in sound. At higher volumes, and especially bass heavy music I heard a noticeable difference in sound. Less distortion and smearing of vocals that were slightly elevated at higher listening levels.

That's what it seems like initially, I heard similar results adding any kind of weight, puck, chachka including Shakti and VPI transformer weights but unfortunately the cost was a lowered soundstage and homogenized sound, try removing them and listen a while, then go back. FYI, this is what I heard with a variety of brands and not just the Lamms.

david

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a fantastic room and system, Jeff! Congratulations!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Had the pleasure of a listening session with Jeff a week ago - really fun time and no audiophile approved music :)

Lamm is great gear time and time I hear it and this was no exception. Jeff has incorporated some room treatment including scatterplot absorption on the ceiling that helps really define a 3D image well. We also played with some toe-in options and with the panels behind his speakers to dial things in a bit more. Very good sound and killer tight bass!

I left confirming my opinion that at the super high end, active or sealed woofage is preferred. Getting rid of bloat and having good bass articulation is very important particularly in a dedicated room.

ps. thanks for cleaning my records!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Had the pleasure of a listening session with Jeff a week ago - really fun time and no audiophile approved music :)

Lamm is great gear time and time I hear it and this was no exception. Jeff has incorporated some room treatment including scatterplot absorption on the ceiling that helps really define a 3D image well. We also played with some toe-in options and with the panels behind his speakers to dial things in a bit more. Very good sound and killer tight bass!

I left confirming my opinion that at the super high end, active or sealed woofage is preferred. Getting rid of bloat and having good bass articulation is very important particularly in a dedicated room.

ps. thanks for cleaning my records!

Thanks for coming Keith, it was a fun session. I'm actually still enjoying your placement (toe-in) of the speakers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I joined Jeff and his friends for a music night last night. It was my first time visiting Jeff.

Jeff has managed a very clever and successful conversion of a standard garage into a very cool dedicated listening room, and I like very much the equipment Jeff has assembled!

Though I had never seen or heard the speakers before I know and love Lamm, and the SME 3012R (Jeff has a limited edition anniversary SPU cartridge), and Jeff has a Sonorus Studer Revox PR99! TAPE!!! And I did not realize the Acoustic Signature Ascona turntable is offered with a very elegant integrated stand!

Everyone took turns pulling albums off of Jeff's LP shelves and requesting tracks, and Jeff was a wonderful master of ceremonies of the event. It was fun to focus on the music, and not focus on the sound (although the sound was great!).

Jeff debuted his new copy of a Leslie Brooks Led Zeppelin tape. I think everyone who heard it loved the sonics on the, and of the, tape.

I continue to find that tape is amazing, and I continue to feel that we are wasting way too much time and energy and money on tiny, incremental improvements to vinyl playback when tape is a qualitative and categorical leap higher in sound quality (and a step lower in equipment cost and fuss).

Thank you, Jeff, for a very fun music party!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I continue to find that tape is amazing, and I continue to feel that we are wasting way too much time and energy and money on tiny, incremental improvements to vinyl playback when tape is a qualitative and categorical leap higher in sound quality (and a step lower in equipment cost and fuss).

Dear Ron,

What you said was a thought that used to pop in my head too. In the end, you cant really get away having both vinyl and tape. And you will also listen more to your upcoming AS. Tape I find fascinating on dynamic, total clarity, high-low extension. Good for pleasing visitors. Vinyl, after all the goofing around with it expensively, can sound so good you keep coming back and not missing tape. I am not talking about software that make me listen more vinyl than tape. The sound itself is just pleasing enough. Quite a few of us in this forum have both and I dont think they play more tapes than the other.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I joined Jeff and his friends for a music night last night. It was my first time visiting Jeff.

Jeff has managed a very clever and successful conversion of a standard garage into a very cool dedicated listening room, and I like very much the equipment Jeff has assembled!

Though I had never seen or heard the speakers before I know and love Lamm, and the SME 3012R (Jeff has a limited edition anniversary SPU cartridge), and Jeff has a Sonorus Studer Revox PR99! TAPE!!! And I did not realize the Acoustic Signature Ascona turntable is offered with a very elegant integrated stand!

Everyone took turns pulling albums off of Jeff's LP shelves and requesting tracks, and Jeff was a wonderful master of ceremonies of the event. It was fun to focus on the music, and not focus on the sound (although the sound was great!).

Jeff debuted his new copy of a Leslie Brooks Led Zeppelin tape. I think everyone who heard it loved the sonics on the, and of the, tape.

Thank you, Jeff, for a very fun music party!

Except for the cost of the tapes, just moving the cost to the source material.

Glad you had fun, Jeff and I communicated briefly about the garage concept and I got busy and never followed up, my apologies.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for coming to the music event Ron, you were a great addition. The point of the party is to expose music lovers to an audiophile system, a about 3 of the over the years have jumped in with very cool Zu and vinyl systems.

The Zepplin tape blew everyone away with the clarity, power and definition. And yes the tapes are expensive, but the gear need to support the tape are not. An $8K tape player easily bested a $100K vinyl playback chain. We had a professional musician join us last night (drummer for various rock bands including Frank Zappa) and he was shocked by the tape.

I'm ordering more tomorrow.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
New speakers have arrived and are burning in nicely. Custom made speakers by Peter Noerbaek at PBN Audio. These speakers have brought back the dynamics I was missing from the days with my Avantgardes but with added definition, refinement and better driver integration. They use the compression driver from the M2 Pro with totally restored and improved JBL bass drivers. If in So. Cal, please stop by for a listen.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
congrats Jeff, beautiful speakers and set-up. the new speakers are real beauties. the crossover is very cool.

i look forward to reading more feedback as they break in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
very cool...congrats! These are custom...how did they come about? Did you have a hand in designing or spec'ing them or perhaps presenting PBN with design criteria or goals? Very interesting. Enjoy!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
very cool...congrats! These are custom...how did they come about? Did you have a hand in designing or spec'ing them or perhaps presenting PBN with design criteria or goals? Very interesting. Enjoy!

PBN has a great custom shop, he makes a lot of custom speaker for pretty famous rock stars and actors out here in California. I asked for him to make an MTM version of the speaker in the link below in a hexagon shape that many of his $100K+ speakers are made in. I have to say I'm very happy so far. They will need about 300 hours of break in due to the compression driver.

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/m2-5-loudspeaker

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeff,

Can we guess that each battery is polarizing one set of purple capacitors? BTW, can I ask what is the preamplifier model and what cables are you using?

Crossover design is out of my area of expertise, but this is what PBN says the batteries are doing: "The three 9V (27V) batteries are used for the Charge Coupling of the Midrange Tweeter Crossover."

All of the amplification is LAMM: LL2.1 Deluxe preamp, LP2.1 Deluxe phono and LAMM M2.2 power amp

All cables are Belden 8402 with Switchcraft RCA's grounded in the Yazaki-san method.

Thank you for your interest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing