ZANDEN Choku, Chukoh and Jinpu

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good to know...thanks! If i did this, would i need to recalibrate the TA interconnect as a result of the changed impedance? (Of course, i would ALSO have to get another TA cable as well...a very expensive option!)

Probably not - the TA Reference cables are calibrated for the output impedance, so nothing significantly changes. For the cable at the output of the Flex Connect I used a 20 cm IC, custom made with van den Hul 102 mk2 IC cable, although the current owner of the Flex Connect loves to use a short silver cable in this position.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Probably not - the TA Reference cables are calibrated for the output impedance, so nothing significantly changes. For the cable at the output of the Flex Connect I used a 20 cm IC, custom made with van den Hul 102 mk2 IC cable, although the current owner of the Flex Connect loves to use a short silver cable in this position.

Thanks...will keep that in mind. How much is the Flex Connect?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
This is from AE:

"KAUN (Pronounced as KA-UN) is probably Yamada's last super tube amplifier. It represents everything he knows about tube amplication. The cumulative experiences from his entire career, in particular, the fruitful experiences of research and development from Project Chouku ??, have put forth into the master creation of KAUN ??. The size of the amplifier is gigantic with a total weight of 530 pounds. They are in push pull configuration with 4 x 211 tubes per channel. All transformers are FINEMET. "

ZANDEN KAUN.2.jpg

ZANDEN KAUN.1.jpg

Reactions: amadeus

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...magnificent. Big fan of Zanden.

uber2

Nov 4, 2016
Sweden
Hi!
Anybody here compared Zanden 3100 vs. Zanden 3000(mk1)?
There are obvious advantages to both; as looks for the 3000 and remote for the 3100.
How about sound?
My amps are Lamm ML's.

Thanks.
(Pardon if the question is posted in wrong forum:thread. I am new to WBF)

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
A friend of mine had the same dilemma. While on the High-End show in Munich in May, I asked Yamada San about this. He was in doubt which would be sonically better and could not decide. In the end he suggested to go with the 3000 Mk2 and then we all had a laugh...

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Here’s a part of the interview with Mr.Yamada in Hi-Fi+ (Issue#166). Apart from the fact that we will eventually see most of technology’s used in these four HK exclusive products in regular production units, I find it even more interesting his statement that push-pull design is theoretically better than single-ended... His latest amp Kaun is a result of this thinking...

“I am considering building push-pull designs, because they are theoretically better than single-ended designs. However, many tube lovers still prefer single-ended amplifiers. This was the reason I invented the new generation of amplifiers. I have put these ideas into the special models for Hong Kong, but actually starting with the Chuko line stage and Jinpu phono stage. In the future, I would like to develop the next generation of Zanden products based on those designs. I do hope to design and deliver the top models into the Classic selection, above the existing models.”

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
A new and it seems the last in the special AE series of Zanden products is coming...

Yamada San’s final masterpiece project is called “Seikoh” (??). It is just an extreme red book 16/44 CD player and won’t play any other formats. This is exciting (for me at least) since I still can’t forget how beautiful his legendary 2000P/5000S combo sounds. It is still THE BEST digital I have ever heard.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Very interesting although the price will likely be extreme and availability will likely be quite scarce.

On the same page as regards red book replay with the Zanden 2000p/5000S. That said, some high res files - in particularly in the dxd format - sound to my ears very impressive indeed.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
A new and it seems the last in the speciel AE series of Zanden products is coming...

Yamada San’s final masterpiece project is called “Seikoh” (??). It is just an extreme red book 16/44 CD player and won’t play any other formats. This is exciting (for me at least) since I still can’t forget how beautiful his legendary 2000P/5000S combo sounds. It is still THE BEST digital I have ever heard.

LL21 will loose his mind reading this. :eek::)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A new and it seems the last in the speciel AE series of Zanden products is coming...

;)! ...I always knew this day would come...given how much the original 2000P/5000S set cost when it first launched, I am frightened to think how much this one would cost. But given how long it has taken for Yamada San to release it...one can safely assume that whatever he asks, there are people out there who will snap it up. And given his reputation, it will be mindblowingly good.

My only reservation would be that digital has come a LONG way, and I wonder if he can make it SO MUCH better than other digital out there that is blows everyone else away...or whether it will be BETTER but more along the lines of 'that extra meaningful bit better' which is only valued by those for whom price is no object.

...I can only hope they allow an upgrade path for those who own the current set. Given its age, I would not expect to be able to do it...but i have spoken with Zanden about this and mentioned it surely would be great if they did.

...let me do some asking and see if there is any more insight...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, if the top dacs like MSB Select 3 box and Wadax Reference sitting at $120k, and the best transports like MSB Select 2 box and JMF 3.7 range $30-50k, throwing in some Zanden rareity stratospheric pricing, surely we're looking $250k at least?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok, cheque for $250k in $HK equivalent, payable to "Audio Exotics". Lol

The guys on AE forum have gone crazy nuts over a new uber pricey Dalby multi-storey record weight. I can't wait to see their reaction to Seikoh.

I must admit, a full Zanden Seikoh, Chukoh and Choku rig into those monster Divins or big Cessaros, looks v. tasty.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A new and it seems the last in the special AE series of Zanden products is coming...

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/meet-your-maker-kazutoshi-yamada-zanden-audio-systems/?page=2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Marcus, hope all is well. Was just wondering if you have heard anything more on this?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi Lloyd. The latest news was that the Seikoh should be ready by the end of the year and that it is the final Zanden special AE project. Some said that speakers and a turntable Is also in the works but I guess this was a bit too optimistic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd. The latest news was that the Seikoh should be ready by the end of the year and that it is the final Zanden special AE project. Some said that speakers and a turntable Is also in the works but I guess this was a bit too optimistic.
Thanks! Very, very exciting!

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
8AC7C950-B094-4545-B074-0BF3FCA31175.jpeg DB4184B3-4568-4383-9FC2-0807B3473BD4.jpeg
Hard to say what exactly this is but let’s speculate: A power supply for the Seikoh CD player? But the kanji characters are different...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing