Need help choosing my first turntable

Absolution

Jun 25, 2016
hi,

I'm new to this forum, and to turntables in general.

It's been several years that I'm planning to convert my music library to vinyl records.
In past weeks I have read a bit about the different specifications of record players, but I cannot put it down to a certain model.

Background and intended use:
In general, what I'm looking for is a fine turntable which will provide the most "natural-analog" sound (no digital functions at all).
It has to be able to play 7, 10, and 12 inch records, old and new ones
If it does matter, I would like a player that is suggested for Rock music.
I would also favour a more standard/classic/daily looking one, and not a super cool or sophisticatedly designed turntable.
The quality of the product is not that important to me. Of course I do not want it to skip parts of tracks or to scratch my records, and I absolutely wish to achieve very good sound quality, but not a high-edge model for expert audiophiles.
About the budget - I don't want to decide yet, because I have absolutely no knowledge about the costs of turntables. I would first like to know which ones fit my preferences, and then sort them according to price/quality and choose.

Of the little idea I managed to get from the internet -

My preferences are:
  • Belt drive
  • Manual
  • No need for USB connection, but nice to have
  • A heavier platter weight
Other specifications which I couldn't quite understand:
  • Moving coil or a magnetic cartridge? does it matter for my use?
  • Using a phono pre-amp - Is there any disadvantage for having it inside the turntable? And what happens if I just connect the 'table directly to my Logitech speaker set (RCA)? will it provide sound?
  • Is RPM an important feature to consider? Is it likely that I won't be able to play some of my records due to difference in spinning speed?
  • N/S - I heard that it pretty much determines the quality of the sound. Should I be checking that spec before I choose?
Have I missed any other important feature to consider?

I would really like to have you answering some of my questions, and suggesting a suitable record player for me,
Thank you!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
First thing I'd look for is ease of use and upgradeability. As soon as you are comfortable with the operation, you'll certainly want better sonics as you go along. I'd look into the used market also with brands like VPI, Linn and Clearaudio. You will definitely want a separate phono stage and these can be had for just a couple hundred bucks to start and can go deep into the five figures.
For RPM, I'd just stick with 33 1/3 and 45. Doubt you will run into or want any 78 unless you're into vintage and archiving.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
In your class I would be looking at a TT from Pro-ject Rega or if your budget stretches from Clearaudio or VPI. As for hooking it up to your logitech speakers... sounds like you need a whole system including a phonostage aswell. So based on that I would recommend sticking to a MM cart untill you get the rest sorted out. Check the used market as there is a ton of entry level gear around for good prices

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Depending on your budget I think something like a used VPI Classic would be ideal for you.

If you're more budget constrained go for a U-Turn orbit.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I would go for the Walker with the Ortofon Anna cartridge and Lamm LP1 phono stage.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pro-ject, Rega and Music Hall are 3 reliable TT manufacturers that offer wonderful value and can be had with a cartridge for well under $500.
If you require a phono preamp then look at the Vincent PHO-8 for $299 at MusicDirect. It's a steal for what you get.
Spend a few bucks on a ZeroDust Onzow (for stylus cleaning), a stiff stylus brush and an anti-static record brush.
You can get all of this for under $1,000 and you'd be set for a few years at least.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Rega isn't a high mass design. I've had the Clearaudio Concept and its no rocker table, for sure. While I'm not particularly a VPI fan, that might suit your "preferences."

I'd rather look at the new Technics DD with arm for 4k or perhaps the Luxman belt drive at a bit higher pricepoint. Once you decide on table, you can get into cart/phono pre.

Also, you really need a budget here - analog is all over the map cost-wise.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
hi,

I'm new to this forum, and to turntables in general.

It's been several years that I'm planning to convert my music library to vinyl records.

Convert your music library to vinyl records? ...You meant the other way around?

In past weeks I have read a bit about the different specifications of record players, but I cannot put it down to a certain model.

Background and intended use:
In general, what I'm looking for is a fine turntable which will provide the most "natural-analog" sound (no digital functions at all).

I'm like you; I cannot put my finger on a specific model, so I search the internet and with a budget in mind, plus trying to figure out if I want to go new or used. A turntable is analog, 100%. A USB port is for transfer into digital. Most analog people who listen to analog don't have a USB port on their TT.

It has to be able to play 7, 10, and 12 inch records, old and new ones

45, 78 and 33 1/3 speeds for them sizes. Not all TTs have 78 rpm speed, so now you can look for that; it will limit your selection.

If it does matter, I would like a player that is suggested for Rock music.

All TTs play Rock music. ...Technics, etc.

I would also favour a more standard/classic/daily looking one, and not a super cool or sophisticatedly designed turntable.
The quality of the product is not that important to me. Of course I do not want it to skip parts of tracks or to scratch my records, and I absolutely wish to achieve very good sound quality, but not a high-edge model for expert audiophiles.

Simple designs are aplenty, and same for standard/classic ones. When it comes to looks it's personal, and it's easy to chose from the several designs offered. What you are looking for is now a little more obvious; not too expensive, or complex/complicated. I remember other threads here that have great suggestions resembling your search. And they can be from $300 to say $1,200 (MSRP brand new, and to me more specific).

About the budget - I don't want to decide yet, because I have absolutely no knowledge about the costs of turntables. I would first like to know which ones fit my preferences, and then sort them according to price/quality and choose.

Good point, because like you said it varies a lot. ...And new or used.
If time was on my side I'll research a quality TT used from a reliable source. And I would buy another one, new, inexpensive, to get me going till I find that used one with a higher touch; more info coming from the grooves, with a better cart.

Of the little idea I managed to get from the internet -

My preferences are:
  • Belt drive
  • Manual
  • No need for USB connection, but nice to have
  • A heavier platter weight

That limits your selection; and I'd look @ the used market, again. I would get two TTs, an inexpensive new one, the base.

Other specifications which I couldn't quite understand:
• Moving coil or a magnetic cartridge? does it matter for my use?

MM are common (inexpensive), MC are preferred by analog audiophiles. It matters more or less, it depends...but usually for starter and simplicity MM is fine.

• Using a phono pre-amp - Is there any disadvantage for having it inside the turntable? And what happens if I just connect the 'table directly to my Logitech speaker set (RCA)? will it provide sound?

Not many TTs have their own phono preamp; normally you connect them to your stereo receiver or preamp with internal phono preamp (most are MM type).
Or, you can buy a separate phono preamp. Some are small and inexpensive.
You mentioned Logitech speakers; are those active with their own integrated amp and preamp?
What model Logitech speakers? It resembles that what you're looking for is inexpensive, and perhaps a TT with its own internal phono preamp? ...Or a separate one inexpensive?

• Is RPM an important feature to consider? Is it likely that I won't be able to play some of my records due to difference in spinning speed?

We've already touched the rpm (speed) above; when you said 7", 10" and 12" size records.
Do you have those three sizes, because then you want the three speeds already mentioned.

• N/S - I heard that it pretty much determines the quality of the sound. Should I be checking that spec before I choose?
[/LIST]

33 1/3 is the large record, most common one. And 45 rpm is also very popular, even in the large 12" size.
78 rpm is older and not everybody play them anymore. But if you have them and want to play them, then look for that speed too in your TT.
Quality sound can be obtained @ any speed.

Have I missed any other important feature to consider?

I would really like to have you answering some of my questions, and suggesting a suitable record player for me,
Thank you!

Your thread started a month ago; I am reading your first post, above.

1. Welcome!

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables
http://www.turntablekitchen.com/201...d-turntables-and-tips-for-selecting-your-own/
________

You mentioned many points; I am not an expert on analog turntables so your questions are applicable to my own situation.
I'll exchange some thoughts, included in your quote above, in blue color.

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. I could have given you hundred more links, but they are all similar. Also, right here @ WBF there are several threads with tons of great info for you.
Check in the analog TT forum's section...if you haven't already.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing