Studer A-810 End of Tape Problem

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I'm having a problem with a Studer A-810. At the end of the tape the reel motors don't stop and continue to spin. It will only stop after pressing the STOP button. I've looked at and seen the EOT switches function, so I know it has to be something else. I did notice the left supply reel tension control arm isn't tight and I don't see anywhere I can adjust it. Any help here would be appreciated.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
There are several issues that will cause end-of-tape to malfunction.

One odd one is to remove the cover and look at the ferrite cores on both supply and take-up sides on tension control boards. The ferrite core could be unglued during shipment and in wrong position.

The other thing is to check the optical slot switch for the damper that moves with the tension roller. If the optical switch isn't making the proper switching at its home rest position, it will never get to E-o-T.

third, if you somehow have the machine in the Tape Dump mode, it will continue to spool even after the tension roller is at its rest position.

Check these three things and report back, please.

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
There are several issues that will cause end-of-tape to malfunction.

One odd one is to remove the cover and look at the ferrite cores on both supply and take-up sides on tension control boards. The ferrite core could be unglued during shipment and in wrong position.

The other thing is to check the optical slot switch for the damper that moves with the tension roller. If the optical switch isn't making the proper switching at its home rest position, it will never get to E-o-T.

third, if you somehow have the machine in the Tape Dump mode, it will continue to spool even after the tension roller is at its rest position.

Check these three things and report back, please.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check and get back.

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check and get back.

I've found the problem. I had noticed the left tension assembly was more loose than the right side, but could not see anywhere to tighten it. I decided to look at the underside pivot point. While tilting the player to get to the bottom panel for access I heard a part drop inside. After opening I noticed there was a bushing missing from the center pivot point on the left side not missing on the right. I found that the part I heard tumbling around was the bushing. I pushed it back on the pivot shaft and the EOT now works perfectly. Thanks for everyone's help. This was an unusual one. I got lucky the bushing was still in the player.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Glad to hear happy ending.

The mechanical issue was probable cause for E-o-T malfunction due to the optical switch not making at tension roller's rest position. While you are at it, wiggle the ferrite core to make sure it is secure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing