Audio Research REF6 vs. REF10 Preamp

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Reviving an old thread. Sold my Ref 5SE and will be installing the new Ref 10 on Saturday when I get back to California. I am so excited!!!

Congrats! The REF 10 is indeed a great preamp, and it'll be quite the difference from your previous 5SE!
As noted, it'll go through a noticeable break in period, with ups and downs, but I've no doubt it'll be impressive from the first note!

Enjoy!
Alex

Reactions: Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Congrats! The REF 10 is indeed a great preamp, and it'll be quite the difference from your previous 5SE!
As noted, it'll go through a noticeable break in period, with ups and downs, but I've no doubt it'll be impressive from the first note!

Enjoy!
Alex

Hi Alex,
Thank you, and yes it is totally different. I have about 70 hours on it since posting. I am running it constantly and listening in between to get at least 100 hours on it before listening more critically. The first thing noticed is the authority of the notes, they are more dynamic and with greater presence on recordings. Midrange seems a bit more natural, from what I have read from it's reviews the Ref 10 is less "tubey" in that region compared to the Ref 5SE allowing the music to be reproduced more naturally. The soundstaging is much wider (separate power supply helps) and on the right disc the music seems to coming from almost outside the speaker's boundaries. I'm waiting for the three dimensional soundstaging to take effect. I clearly remember my Ref 5SE taking time to open up, IIRC it took at least 200 hours before it settled in. Really enjoying the ride so far.

Attachments

• OW2R1869.jpg
    OW2R1869.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 445

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Nice......Have a play around toggling between display ON and display OFF, For my part I prefer the latter.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hi Alex,
Thank you, and yes it is totally different. I have about 70 hours on it since posting. I am running it constantly and listening in between to get at least 100 hours on it before listening more critically. The first thing noticed is the authority of the notes, they are more dynamic and with greater presence on recordings. Midrange seems a bit more natural, from what I have read from it's reviews the Ref 10 is less "tubey" in that region compared to the Ref 5SE allowing the music to be reproduced more naturally. The soundstaging is much wider (separate power supply helps) and on the right disc the music seems to coming from almost outside the speaker's boundaries. I'm waiting for the three dimensional soundstaging to take effect. I clearly remember my Ref 5SE taking time to open up, IIRC it took at least 200 hours before it settled in. Really enjoying the ride so far.

Just wait its coming!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Nice......Have a play around toggling between display ON and display OFF, For my part I prefer the latter.

Display is definitely set to off. I apologize as I was too lazy to tap the remote. It's black background with blue lettering.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Just wait its coming!

Paul, I know it's just slightly frustrating as I went thru this with the last preamp. I can't whine as there are real world problems some are facing.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh, the 3D soundstage will definitely come, you just wait :)
I found the REF6 had a more immediate "tubey" sound, with that walk-in soundstage, while the REF10 was significantly more neutral across the board, but actually took longer to show its virtues completely.
Oh, I have ours with bright green text on black background... Throwback to the old computer screen days :)

cheers,
alex

Reactions: Sharp 1080

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Alex,

Is that a Classe SSP-800 I see in the photo?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Oh, I have ours with bright green text on black background... Throwback to the old computer screen days :)

cheers,
alex

Nice! :)

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Is there any general consensus on NOS tubes in either the Ref 6 or 10? I have had my 6 for a while now and just about ready to re-tube and was considering.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Is there any general consensus on NOS tubes in either the Ref 6 or 10? I have had my 6 for a while now and just about ready to re-tube and was considering.

I got quite a few guys over on AA converted to NOS or 100% used General Electric 6550A's for power regulation, NOS Sylvania are also excellent, as are 70's production Perforated Grey plate TungSol 6550 for neutrality , Earlier Solid Grey for a little more tone and texture, IMHO late 60's Black plates sound very 'Lush' on Crooner/ Diva however for my part a tad overblown for Classical etc .

http://http://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36068

Reactions: opm

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Is that a Classe SSP-800 I see in the photo?

Yes sir, I sold my LS25 MKII and for awhile was using the Classe as both 2 channel and multi channel playback. The Classe is really good but I missed the more detailed and open sound of an ARC preamplifier.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Another milestone, I don't want to wear it out LoL.....

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have also just repopulated this pre with a full compliment of circa 1970's DR 6h30's which should prove to be most interesting.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I have also just repopulated this pre with a full compliment of circa 1970's DR 6h30's which should prove to be most interesting.

Do you mind if I ask from where you purchased them?

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA

I did my ARC Ref40 PS with the older DRs a few years ago. Bigger soundstage presentation, but more diffuse images. Some may like it. It sounded different, but not better to me, so I did not continue.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Not at all, however not helpfully I made most of my acquisitions a good few years back, whilst asking prices and DR fakery were not quite as they are today, the REF 10, and the 6 not far behind, being cripplingly expensive to roll with these days.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I did my ARC Ref40 PS with the older DRs a few years ago. Bigger soundstage presentation, but more diffuse images. Some may like it. It sounded different, but not better to me, so I did not continue.

Early days as yet Barry....however I do get where you are coming from, Initial impression being one of increased resolution and decay, in particular inflections of voice and string tonality, and yet I do appreciate a slightly more diffuse leading edge to notes.

I would without reservation highly recommend replacing the factory Sovtek in the output stage of in my current instance REF250 SE's...quite a revelation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing