Audio Research REF6 vs. REF10 Preamp

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I am in the market for a new preamp and I was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison of the ARC REF6 and REF10? I'm interested in the differences both quantitatively and qualitatively. My current system is an Esoteric K-01X digital player, Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps (on order) and Vandersteen 7 MKII speakers.

Thanks!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Good question.

Are you going to wait for the REF10 SE thou ?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Good question.

Are you going to wait for the REF10 SE thou ?

LOL, probably not. The REF11 is scheduled for the end of 2017.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
LOL, probably not. The REF11 is scheduled for the end of 2017.

Now REF11 has a natural spinal tap marketing pitch to it.

REF11 - you really can turn it up to 11!!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Bump.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
does ref 6 still have the teflon caps?
from the pics they look different now? which caps does ref 10 use?
ref 6 is getting good reviews. they are basically saying that it is 'close' to the 10.
the cat's curiosity will always be veering towards the 10 though..

number95

May 14, 2014
I am in the market for a new preamp and I was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison of the ARC REF6 and REF10? I'm interested in the differences both quantitatively and qualitatively. My current system is an Esoteric K-01X digital player, Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps (on order) and Vandersteen 7 MKII speakers.

Thanks!

Ref 6 is a replacement to Ref 5 SE, one box solution. One should not compare it directly to two box seperate power supply Ref Anniversary or Ref 10. Pricing also verifies that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

number95

May 14, 2014
Indeed. Pricing is always the metric by which quality should be judged. More expensive is always better. Who could argue with that?

I disagree with that. More expensive does not need to be always better and in some cases might be even inferior. That said, two preamplifiers from same manufacturer while one having seperate dual mono power supply and labeled as its flagship and at the same time two times more expensive, I presume there is no contest if we talk about sonic performances. It doesn't make Ref 6 inferior, contrary one might even consider that better value for money vs Ref 10.

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
I disagree with that. More expensive does not need to be always better and in some cases might be even inferior. That said, two preamplifiers from same manufacturer while one having seperate dual mono power supply and labeled as its flagship and at the same time two times more expensive, I presume there is no contest if we talk about sonic performances. It doesn't make Ref 6 inferior, contrary one might even consider that better value for money vs Ref 10.

Let's look at a fictional example. Preamp A--a flagship unit with a separate dual mono power supply is introduced at $10k. Preamp B--not a flagship unit with an in-built power supply is introduced at $5k. Preamp A is introduced in 1990. Preamp B is introduced in 2015. Which preamp do you presume will be better?

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Let's look at a fictional example. Preamp A--a flagship unit with a separate dual mono power supply is introduced at $10k. Preamp B--not a flagship unit with an in-built power supply is introduced at $5k. Preamp A is introduced in 1990. Preamp B is introduced in 2015. Which preamp do you presume will be better?
Let's look at a FACTUAL example. Preamp A -- a flagship unit with a separate dual mono power supply is introduced at $30k. Preamp B--not a flagship unit with an in-built power supply is introduced at $14k. Preamp A is introduced in 2013. Preamp B is introduced in 2015. Which preamp do you presume will be better? ONLY a TWO years difference??????

BTW, there are many ARC owners found REF 40 just different than REF 10 and one not better than the other. Introduced ONLY THREE years apart.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
to give another example, i would prefer a 2010 series 2 997 carrera s over a 2016 cayman s. ( or gts, and possibly gt4)

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Let's look at a FACTUAL example. Preamp A -- a flagship unit with a separate dual mono power supply is introduced at $30k. Preamp B--not a flagship unit with an in-built power supply is introduced at $14k. Preamp A is introduced in 2013. Preamp B is introduced in 2015. Which preamp do you presume will be better? ONLY a TWO years difference??????

BTW, there are many ARC owners found REF 40 just different than REF 10 and one not better than the other. Introduced ONLY THREE years apart.

If plotted on an x/y graph, there are four factors in the mix: price, time, effort, learning. At some point the lines on the graph cross. Your supposition is that that they cross in two years. My supposition is that yours is wrong.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
If plotted on an x/y graph, there are four factors in the mix: price, time, effort, learning. At some point the lines on the graph cross. Your supposition is that that they cross in two years. My supposition is that yours is wrong.
Sure, not 2 years. Why would ARC introduce a preamp 50% less expensive of their top dog, with superior sound, REF 10 replacement scheduled end of 2017 so it will capitulate sales of REF 10 for 2+ years? It makes absolute no business sense! I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Sure, not 2 years. Why would ARC introduce a preamp 50% less expensive of their top dog, with superior sound, REF 10 replacement scheduled end of 2017 so it will capitulate sales of REF 10 for 2+ years? It makes absolute no business sense! I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I hadn't taken into account the notion that ARC could see into the future.

number95

May 14, 2014
I hadn't taken into account the notion that ARC could see into the future.

To clarify, I have decided to request a Ref 6 for a demo from my dealer. It will be directly compared to my Ref 10. I believe one can only speak as much as his/her experiences in this hobby. I will post the results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing