Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Audio Research REF6 vs. REF10 Preamp

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Are there any AR pre owners with SET amps, especially with horn speakers?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Are there any AR pre owners with SET amps, especially with horn speakers?
    Airbearing is using 40 Anniversary with his Wavac and custom horns.

Now that the 70's production DR's have had a few hours to bed in I am hugely impressed with the all round performance gains the NOS valves have brought to the output stage of this REF10, especially when considering its mere 200 hours on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Now that the 70's production DR's have had a few hours to bed in I am hugely impressed with the all round performance gains the NOS valves have brought to the output stage of this REF10, especially when considering its mere 200 hours on the clock.
    That's great. Can you provide a little more detail as to the improvements? Thanks!
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Am out for the evening now Paul, I shall pen some thoughts after another listen on the morrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    I would without reservation highly recommend replacing the factory Sovtek in the output stage of in my current instance REF250 SE's...quite a revelation.
    Just replaced the stock Sovtek 6H30 with the Reflector 6H30p-DR’s in my 250SE’s, all I can say is WOW. More transparent, 3-dimensional and detailed. Shame the Reflectors are difficult to find and cost an arm and a leg if you find a genuine one. I did try the GE 6550A to replace the stock Sovtek but I did not like the sound. I have a couple of Winged C SED 6550C I will be installing tomorrow and hope they will be equally as rewarding as the DR’s. More to follow...
    Speakers: Alta Audio Titanium Hestia
    Amplification: Audio Research Ref. 10 Preamp, Ref. 3 Phono Preamp, Ref. 250SE Amps
    Analog: VPI HR-X w/JMW 3D Reference Tonearm & Transfiguration Proteus Cartridge
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi 2.0 DAC/Clock/Upsampler; dCS Paganini SACD/CD Transport; Antipodes DX2 Server
    Sonos Connect w/W4S Mods

Cables: XLRs, Speaker and Digital: Nordost Odin 1; Power: Nordost Odin 1 & Valhalla 2
    Power Conditioning: Shunyata Denali Series 6000T (Components) and 2000T (Amps)

Quote Originally Posted by jonaiken View Post
    Just replaced the stock Sovtek 6H30 with the Reflector 6H30p-DR’s in my 250SE’s, all I can say is WOW. More transparent, 3-dimensional and detailed. Shame the Reflectors are difficult to find and cost an arm and a leg if you find a genuine one. I did try the GE 6550A to replace the stock Sovtek but I did not like the sound. I have a couple of Winged C SED 6550C I will be installing tomorrow and hope they will be equally as rewarding as the DR’s. More to follow...
    The SED Winged C 6550C’s have taken my amps to another level....greater transparency, more detail, tighter and more profound bass...definitely more palatable. Next to put the Reflector 6H30P-DR’s and Winged C-6550C in my Reference 10 Preamp and Reference 3 Phono Preamp.
    Amplification: Audio Research Ref. 10 Preamp, Ref. 3 Phono Preamp, Ref. 250SE Amps
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi 2.0 DAC/Clock/Upsampler; dCS Paganini SACD/CD Transport; Antipodes DX2 Server
    Sonos Connect w/W4S Mods

Cables: XLRs, Speaker and Digital: Nordost Odin 1; Power: Nordost Odin 1 & Valhalla 2

Name:  FFB33E95-0B6F-45D9-AA00-C193E073EAF2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  58.3 KBTubes (Reflector 6H30P-DR’s and Winged C SED 6550C’s) lined up and ready to be installed in my Ref 10 preamp and Ref 3 Phono Preamp.....both types of tubes hard to find and verify quality, but got a very good set.....Update on impact to system forthcoming
    Sonos Connect w/W4S Mods

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567