300b valves: what are the current favourites?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
No it is not - KR Audio ??? This 300b was specially developed for the Kondo Gakuoh power amps!
It was in those days, that a young engineer, by the name of Alesa Vaic started his studies of Vacuum Technologies at the Prague university.

Yes, the Living Voice 300b tubes I bought from Kevin (Definitive Audio) are produced by KR Audio. The Living Voice 300b valve however is not a regular KR Audio 300b tube but one made after input of Definitive Audio.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Yes, the Living Voice 300b tubes I bought from Kevin (Definitive Audio) are produced by KR Audio. The Living Voice 300b valve however is not a regular KR Audio 300b tube but one made after input of Definitive Audio.

I can imagine you have a great sound!

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
I have ELROGs, WE and a some new production Chinese tubes supplied by Audio Note UK. (I have never asked about the mfr) I enjoy them all, actually. As I have been slowly and patiently upgrading my amp (caps and resistors) on my own, I tend to use the Chinese tubes first to hear what the effect of an upgrade is, then switch over to the ELROGs and finally the WEs, which i have owned for a number years. I find the ELROGs to be more "alive" than the WEs, but they are also down on power, as much as 40% according to Audio Note. I don't hear this,as the ELROGs actually sound bigger and less colored than the WEs.

I have never used the other tubes you spoke about.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have ELROGs, WE and a some new production Chinese tubes supplied by Audio Note UK. (I have never asked about the mfr) I enjoy them all, actually. As I have been slowly and patiently upgrading my amp (caps and resistors) on my own, I tend to use the Chinese tubes first to hear what the effect of an upgrade is, then switch over to the ELROGs and finally the WEs, which i have owned for a number years. I find the ELROGs to be more "alive" than the WEs, but they are also down on power, as much as 40% according to Audio Note. I don't hear this,as the ELROGs actually sound bigger and less colored than the WEs.

I have never used the other tubes you spoke about.

Thanks Fidach Lad for your feedback. Are you referring to nos WE 300B tubes or maybe to the WE reissue 300B tubes? May I ask which (power)amp you are using? If I understand you correctly, there is no clear winner as regards Elrog versus WE 300b tubes in your audio system?

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach

I read about a lot of complaints about the quality control of KR Audio 2A3 tubes from owners of 2A3 headphone amp (DNA Audio Stratus), and have never tried them as a result. (I have a pair of AVVT mesh plates).

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I read about a lot of complaints about the quality control of KR Audio 2A3 tubes from owners of 2A3 headphone amp (DNA Audio Stratus), and have never tried them as a result. (I have a pair of AVVT mesh plates).

Was he asking about 2A3 or rather what type of WE 300b? Vintage NOS or reissue?

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
Are there any clear winners in this game? The ELROGs appeal to my sense of majesty (Bruckner), the WEs (late production by WE) to my sense of refinement (Mozart). I also tend to prefer the ELROGs on my high-sensitivity speakers and the WEs on my LS3/5As (believe it, or not).

I am using an Audio Note Conqueror, Silver, a lower level power amp in their collection with the least expensive double C-Core OPTs. I have upgraded the electrolytic caps as the new ones from AN come into production and distribution. I am now working to find the best places to add the new AN silver resistors. I had already installed the Tantalum non-magnetic ones, before the silvers came on the market.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
300B. I only meant to raise the QC issue with KR Audio 300B tubes.

The Kron issue was only for 2a3 and 845, apparently.

I think AC was asking what TYPE of WE 300b, the original NOS or the 1980s reissue?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks.

I think AC is building a mental hierarchy and this info is important to him.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Are there any clear winners in this game? The ELROGs appeal to my sense of majesty (Bruckner), the WEs (late production by WE) to my sense of refinement (Mozart). I also tend to prefer the ELROGs on my high-sensitivity speakers and the WEs on my LS3/5As (believe it, or not).

I am using an Audio Note Conqueror, Silver, a lower level power amp in their collection with the least expensive double C-Core OPTs. I have upgraded the electrolytic caps as the new ones from AN come into production and distribution. I am now working to find the best places to add the new AN silver resistors. I had already installed the Tantalum non-magnetic ones, before the silvers came on the market.

Understand your point about no clear winner. Notwithstanding I asked you this question because I have never heard the nos WE 300b valves and according to some they reign supreme.

I very much like my pair of Elrog 300B tubes in my GG dac. Difficult to predict however how my dac experiences will translate to my Kondo Gakuoh amps. But good to hear you like the Elrog 300B valves in your AUdio Note UK amps and I consider them as a serious 300B alternative. Apparently you experienced no realibility issues with your Elrogs?

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
Understand your point about no clear winner. Notwithstanding I asked you this question because I have never heard the nos WE 300b valves and according to some they reign supreme.

I very much like my pair of Elrog 300B tubes in my GG dac. Difficult to predict however how my dac experiences will translate to my Kondo Gakuoh amps. But good to hear you like the Elrog 300B valves in your AUdio Note UK amps and I consider them as a serious 300B alternative. Apparently you experienced no realibility issues with your Elrogs?

Do i recall correctly that, after WE shut down its tube operations, it was sold and operated with some of the old production workers? I am actually not sure what age the WE tubes i have come from. I just assumed they were 80s production because they tested so strong when i picked them up, used, in the early 90s. I didn't own a 300B amp until about 2000, when i purchased an Audio Note Meishu, Silver, which i gave to my son 3 years ago after it became too unwieldy for me to move around and took up too much space. I used a pair of inexpensive Shugangs on the Meishu a lot, and saved the WEs for my favorite symphonic and chamber music. They still test strong.

No problems with the ELROGs, yet.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Do i recall correctly that, after WE shut down its tube operations, it was sold and operated with some of the old production workers? I am actually not sure what age the WE tubes i have come from. I just assumed they were 80s production because they tested so strong when i picked them up, used, in the early 90s. I didn't own a 300B amp until about 2000, when i purchased an Audio Note Meishu, Silver, which i gave to my son 3 years ago after it became too unwieldy for me to move around and took up too much space. I used a pair of inexpensive Shugangs on the Meishu a lot, and saved the WEs for my favorite symphonic and chamber music. They still test strong.

No problems with the ELROGs, yet.

Intriguing story. Keep enjoying your symphonic and chamber music with or without you undoubtedly lovely WE 300B tubes!

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
What happens if these new WE 300B tubes are found to be inferior to current production tubes. Will WE then have a hard time selling them and the whole production scrapped. Or, will enough ‘journalists’ hype them up as the best since original production and continue a great American success story.
I just hope WE have enough samples of the competition and enough amps to test them in, OH! and a few sets of golden ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing