300b valves: what are the current favourites?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have been using Western Electric reissue 300b valves for my Kondo Gakuoh push pull amps as well as for my Kondo Gakuoh single ended amps for the last 5-6 years. However, the two quods need replacement. I am not willing to pay the outrageous prices they demand for the Western Electric reissue 300b tubes, let alone the totally crazy prices that are being asked for original Western Electric 300b valves.

After some serious consideration I believe the following three options might be interesting:
a. Elrog 300b tubes
b. Takatsuki 300b tubes
c. Living Voice 300b tubes. These tubes are the result of the cooperation between Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio in the UK and KR audio.

What do you think of the afore mentioned three options? And did I forgot to include any other brand such as for example Emission Labs?

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I use a Quad of Takatsukis--with the Yen/US$ favourable and can be bought direct from Amtrans Jp--They have sensational Sonic presentation equal to the original series WE 300Bs in a friend's System

Superior relief for your wallet as well:D

My choice--YVMV

BruceD

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I use a Quad of Takatsukis--with the Yen/US$ favourable and can be bought direct from Amtrans Jp--They have sensational Sonic presentation equal to the original series WE 300Bs in a friend's System

My choice--YVMV

BruceD

Thanks BruceD. May I ask which poweramps you are using and whether you or your friend compared the Takatsuki 300b valves with any of the other available 300b tubes?

I got feedback on the Takatsuki's that their midrange is not as lovely as that of the Western Electric 300b. Do you or does your friend agree with this observation?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Did any of our WBF members visit the Living Voice demo room at the Munich high end show this year and gave the new Definitive / Kron Audio 300b valves a (serious) listen? Any opinion on those valves?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks BruceD. May I ask which poweramps you are using and whether you or your friend compared the Takatsuki 300b valves with any of the other available 300b tubes?

I got feedback on the Takatsuki's that their midrange is not as lovely as that of the Western Electric 300b. Do you or does your friend agree with this observation?

No worries--The Taka's are installed on a small local made Japanese Amp not sold in the US--but work better than the Gold Lions/EH/s /etc compared--was tempted with the Elrogs but they had reliability problems then--since rectified I gather.

The WE's are still the jewel in the crown--if you can find a properly tested and performing set --I'd go for those-but there are poor versions sold --so be wary and check thoroughly the Certification/documentation/etc accompanying before laying out the $$$'s.

With the listening the WE's are smoother--the Taka's more detailed and fuller bass--but the WE's Mids yes warmer and more rounded--I could live with both--( with the Taka's DEF' easier on the Wallet!)

Good Luck,

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

My choice--YVMV

BruceD

Hi Bruce, which year are the WE in your friend's system from? Are they pre 1970s?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi Bruce, which year are the WE in your friend's system from? Are they pre 1970s?

No I asked him --and according to the Date code "formula" they would be mid /late 80's--also the notation is in Italics

BruceD

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Over here the KR 300B Classic is our best seller. To put this in context, we are a WE 300B diehard country. The KR is the tube of choice for those wanting to prolong our dwindled WE hoards.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
No worries--The Taka's are installed on a small local made Japanese Amp not sold in the US--but work better than the Gold Lions/EH/s /etc compared--was tempted with the Elrogs but they had reliability problems then--since rectified I gather.

The WE's are still the jewel in the crown--if you can find a properly tested and performing set --I'd go for those-but there are poor versions sold --so be wary and check thoroughly the Certification/documentation/etc accompanying before laying out the $$$'s.

With the listening the WE's are smoother--the Taka's more detailed and fuller bass--but the WE's Mids yes warmer and more rounded--I could live with both--( with the Taka's DEF' easier on the Wallet!)

Good Luck,

BruceD

Thanks Bruce for your info. And as you mentioned: original Western Electric 300b tubes are very difficult to find, priced outrageously and you never know in which condition they are till you try them. For these reasons I do not see myself go the original Western Electric route.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Over here the KR 300B Classic is our best seller. To put this in context, we are a WE 300B diehard country. The KR is the tube of choice for those wanting to prolong our dwindled WE hoards.

Thanks Jack, interesting to hear. I spoke intensively with Kevin of Definitive Audio last week and he is pretty outspoken on the Definitive / KR Audio 300b valves: they better the WE reissue 300b valves in various aspects while they still possess the midrange splendour of the WE reissue tubes. So I am very tempted to try them out as I have only experience with those reissue 300B tubes, never heard the original Western Electric 300b tubes and Kevin's new valves were developed in particular for his Kondo Gakuoh amps.

As regards the the original Wetern electric valves: I understand Bonzo's question as apparany the original Western Electric 300B tubes of older vintage are soubding clearly superior to later versions of these originals.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Did you ever compare the KR 300b tubes under controlled circumstances to the original en reissue WE valves, Jack? If so, any comments on the differences between these valves?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have actually. The WEs are softer up top and looser in the bottom but have a slightly sweeter upper midrange. If I'm not mistaken in the early days of KR, Ricardo and Kondo-san were quite close.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have actually. The WEs are softer up top and looser in the bottom but have a slightly sweeter upper midrange. If I'm not mistaken in the early days of KR, Ricardo and Kondo-san were quite close.

Thanks Jack. Do you have a preference? I am using the 300b valves in my Tidal La Assoluta set up so I am looking for tubes with not only midrange splendour but also good highs and good (tube) bass. Very pleasantly surprised how my WE reissue 300b tubes handled the bass.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you reading this, I love you and Marek Eunice but.....

Preference wise it is difficult if not impossible to forget what has and has always been what all else are measured against, the original WE 300Bs. That said, I also have (original not the most recent) reissues and my vote here goes to the KR Classics which I find a little more refined overall.

I've never heard of Takatsukis before. I would love to try them. You can never have enough tubes anyway right? :)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
If you reading this, I love you and Marek Eunice but.....

Preference wise it is difficult if not impossible to forget what has and has always been what all else are measured against, the original WE 300Bs. That said, I also have (original not the most recent) reissues and my vote here goes to the KR Classics which I find a little more refined overall.

I've never heard of Takatsukis before. I would love to try them. You can never have enough tubes anyway right? :)

Fair enough. Appreciate your feedback. And you are right: never enough (good) 300b valves.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have decided to try out the new Living Voice 300b valve, a tube that is the result of a cooperation between Definitive Audio UK and KR Audio. This 300b was specially developed for the Kondo Gakuoh power amps, amps for which Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio (he is the Kondo distributor in the UK) has developed a special fondness. As I own both the push pull and singled ended versions of the Gakuohs you will not be surprised that I share his enthusiasm for these 300b Kondo amps.

Will share my listening impressions once I have installed these 300b tubes and have learned how they perform. Also bought some Tungsol 5687 input tubes for my Gakuoh amps.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's great to see that Kevin and Eunice are starting again from where Ricardo and Kondo-san left off. Happy listening my friend and I hope your stones will forever be things of the past!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
It's great to see that Kevin and Eunice are starting again from where Ricardo and Kondo-san left off. Happy listening my friend and I hope your stones will forever be things of the past!

Thanks Jack for your kind words, appreciated.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
I have decided to try out the new Living Voice 300b valve, a tube that is the result of a cooperation between Definitive Audio UK and KR Audio. This 300b was specially developed for the Kondo Gakuoh power amps, amps for which Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio (he is the Kondo distributor in the UK) has developed a special fondness. As I own both the push pull and singled ended versions of the Gakuohs you will not be surprised that I share his enthusiasm for these 300b Kondo amps.

Will share my listening impressions once I have installed these 300b tubes and have learned how they perform. Also bought some Tungsol 5687 input tubes for my Gakuoh amps.

No it is not - KR Audio ??? This 300b was specially developed for the Kondo Gakuoh power amps!
It was in those days, that a young engineer, by the name of Alesa Vaic started his studies of Vacuum Technologies at the Prague university.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing