300b valves: what are the current favourites?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
That was my experience of the previous reissue models @15 years ago when I bought a quad for my Border Patrol P20exd.

For the time being I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Imho we should be happy WE is starting the production of the 300B tube again.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
For the time being I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Imho we should be happy WE is starting the production of the 300B again.

We are happy but it would be interesting to know how many pairs they aim to produce a week, perhaps 20 which equates to 1000py at maybe $1500 pair to compete with Takatsuki and Elrog. Would they be able to sell every pair, every year for maybe 5 yrs? I’m not sure that alone would pay the bills.
WE would certainly have to reintroduce other famous tubes to make it profitable ie. 242 and 101D.
Let’s hope they do have a bright future and it brings out the best of the competition.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
It seems to me that the attention of the leading tube manufacturers is more focused on power triodes and there is a paucity of high end new production options for the small double triodes like 6922 / 12ax7 etc. These are widely used in dacs and preamps as well as input / driver tubes in power amps, so there seems to be a larger market to the potential benefit of all concerned. Sorry to digress from the OP's thread!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Agree Mark. Quite annoying really - a premium sounding 12ax7 would be very welcome for one.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Just seen this interesting thread, I own a pp Gakuoh other an Ongaku and Neiro amp, I know that the Gakuoh can use only the KR300b xls, would be interesting knowing the experience of audiocrack member with other 300b tubes, WE and LV/KR, if it’s need to rebias the amp or change some components. Thank you, Gustavo

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Quad set Takatsuki's MacTone Amp.

¥63.422.00 per Tube ex Amtrans Jp.

BruceD

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Thank you, but my question was about the use of others 300b tubes then KR300B XLS with Kondo Gakuoh amplifiers that use this as stock tubes. The problem is with the higher bias voltage of the kr300B xls, about 450V if I’m not wrong.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Di you think this can be a plug’n play replacement for the Kr300b xls?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing