Perhaps first to hear new M3...

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
Greetings Forumites,

I was down at Magico yesterday picking up a Q-Sub (yes, lucky me), and i guess my timing was really good. Alon Wolf asked me if i'd like to hear the M3 prototype (he kept the lights almost pitch black. the crossover was proprietary and external on a board).

I learned that this new M has a tweeter that exceeds the Q7mkII (can't stop innovation).

Coupled to Soulution 711 monoblocks, Berkeley Dac, and i beleive Vitus preamp, i heard what was up there with the most accurate reproduction of audio in my 30 years of obsession to the hobby. Hard to tell if this exceeds the best because the room and gear is so fantastic (as was the recordings Alon played).

Having heard hundreds of systems, i mostly hear flaws, but in this instance, there was no flaw to point to. Dynamics, imaging, timbre, resolution all in spades. I could have reached out and touched the musicians in front of me. All these Occulus Rift and HTC Vive obsessed VR people don't realize that VR exists today in the audio realm. Alon had built himself a time machine and I got on board.

I'd love to hear the Polymer Audio MKS-X (in my house right now and pretty awesome) in this room and on this gear. My gut tells me the Magico's got it beat.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great initial feedback! thanks

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lucky you, David. I was there a month ago, but unfortunately, there were no speakers set up. That is an amazing listening/testing room. I suspect that this will be an amazing speaker. Just another example of how rapidly and strongly Magico is pushing technology. Can't wait to hear it.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Greetings Forumites,
I was down at Magico yesterday picking up a Q-Sub (yes, lucky me), and i guess my timing was really good. Alon Wolf asked me if i'd like to hear the M3 prototype (he kept the lights almost pitch black. the crossover was proprietary and external on a board).
I learned that this new M has a tweeter that exceeds the Q7mkII (can't stop innovation).
Coupled to Soulution 711 monoblocks, Berkeley Dac, and i beleive Vitus preamp, i heard what was up there with the most accurate reproduction of audio in my 30 years of obsession to the hobby. Hard to tell if this exceeds the best because the room and gear is so fantastic (as was the recordings Alon played).
Having heard hundreds of systems, i mostly hear flaws, but in this instance, there was no flaw to point to. Dynamics, imaging, timbre, resolution all in spades. I could have reached out and touched the musicians in front of me. All these Occulus Rift and HTC Vive obsessed VR people don't realize that VR exists today in the audio realm. Alon had built himself a time machine and I got on board.
I'd love to hear the Polymer Audio MKS-X (in my house right now and pretty awesome) in this room and on this gear. My gut tells me the Magico's got it beat.

Hi David,
Many thanks for the report! My mouth is watering!
May I know how big is that listening room inside Magico factory?
Size of M3 is similar to that of Q5 but the driver sizes are similar to those of Q3. Are they adequate to fill up/energize a mid or big listening room?

Peter

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Greetings Forumites,

when i am at manufacture everything sounds better to me as well.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I got myself invited to a M3 demo at the end of August at the factory. Haven't stared at the clock this much since I was a kid in grammar school. I have a pair of M3's on order.

Cincy

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I got myself invited to a M3 demo at the end of August at the factory. Haven't stared at the clock this much since I was a kid in grammar school. I have a pair of M3's on order.

Cincy

Congratulations. Yes, that group tour of the factory should be very interesting. I see you also have Transparent cables with Magico. I like the combination. Magico had them in their demo room with big CAT monos. Please share your impressions of the M3 and you only have about six weeks to wait. I bet the August to October wait will be even harder.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I look forward to your (Cincy) impressions on the M3...

OP - nice! I wish I had your luck (Qsub and hear the M3).

I just heard the Q7mk2... wow.

prerich

May 21, 2012

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Greetings Forumites,

I use Qsub15 with my M Pros, they sound amazing together! Did you get the 15 or the big 18?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing