Choice for a 2nd tone arm : Durand Kairos vs Reed 3P

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I have decided to mount a 2nd tone arm on my TW AC . Both the Durand Kairos and the Reed 3P are in my short list and in broadly the same price zone. I am looking to forum members who have ownership or listening experience of either or both arms. I am not interested in a "which is better" opinion because frankly that is subjective and at this level meaningless. The cart would be either a Lyra Atla or Etna. The rest of my gear is listed below.
Many thanks
Pradeep

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have decided to mount a 2nd tone arm on my TW AC . Both the Durand Kairos and the Reed 3P are in my short list and in broadly the same price zone. I am looking to forum members who have ownership or listening experience of either or both arms. I am not interested in a "which is better" opinion because frankly that is subjective and at this level meaningless. The cart would be either a Lyra Atla or Etna. The rest of my gear is listed below.
Many thanks
Pradeep

hello Pradeep,

while I've owned 3 Reed tone arms that was 4-5 years ago now. fine tone arms for sure.

i'll only say I've had the Kairos in my system and heard it at shows also and in other systems. it's an amazing tone arm and comes close to my stock Telos and even my Sapphire Telos. I'm a believer in the simplicity and solidity of the Durand approach......especially as the Talea design approach evolved into the Telos/Kairos approach.

to me the benefit of the 'Durand' approach is that mechanical compromises in the tone arm are greatly reduced. and when the music gets dynamically alive you can really hear it retain the nuance and musical flow. I would say that the Kairos will quickly be your best arm (compared to the wonderful Talea2) and maybe that would not be the case with the Reed as I owned the Reed arms when I had the Talea1 (sorry my 'preferences' showed.....could not help it).

Teck was here last weekend and heard the Telos Sapphire. you could ask him about what he thought.

Last edited:

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Mike
Many thanks for your response. Since an audition is not posssible comments/listening impressions are invaluable. I suspect in the end non audio considerations may also intrude : resale value, dealer network etc.
May post on Agon to get wider feedback.
Will catch up with Teck in Singapore, late July, if he is back.
Best
Pradeep

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
I believe very hard quetion to answeri also highly depends on what you are expexting. 9 inch or 12 inch. Pivot, Linear Tracking. Headshell/armwand important or not ? Are u looking for use with lyra or are u looking for an allrounder tonearm. My best reccomendations, for 9 inch graham elite, ikeda 407 for 12 inch. Very different but very good tonearms, both can be easily last tonearm of any high standart audiophile.

Reactions: Wrm57

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Altanpsx
Many thanks. You are spot on that there are soo many variables. I have always had the facility of mounting a 2nd tone arm on my TW. I own 2 tone arms , 2 TTs and 3 carts. Hence its only logical to get a 3rd tone arm . I love the Talea2 and what it does in my system. I have little idea and even less feed back on the Reed. In the circumstances have decided to pursue a used/demo Kairos. Several advantages : same alignment geometry as the Talea2, therefore don't need a fresh MintLP protractor etc. It may be the most competitive option.
Happy to report back when the deed is done
Best
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing