Cartridge suggestions

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm in the market for a new cartridge and I'm turning to all of the vinyl experts here to provide me with some of their suggestions. Before you do, please consider some of my preferences and the equipment I have.

Preferences: Female voices, Progressive Rock, Blues, Soul, R&B and Jazz.

Equipment: Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE turntable w/Rega RB250, Pioneer SA-9500II Integrated Amplifier, Totem Sttaf speakers, MM/MC phonostage.

I am currently using a Sumiko Pearl as a temporary cartridge since my Grado Reference Platinum cartidge bit the bullet and needs a retip. I like the Grado sound and have used several of their cartridges before. I also have some experience with Shure (M95ED, Shure TypeIII) and a Sumiko Blue Point Special Nude, which I didn't like at all. It sounded overly bright to me.

Based on the information I have provided what cartridges would you recommend that cost no more than $750. I'm in Canada, so any order from the U.S. will mean about $100 more due to shipping and import duties. I'd obviously like to keep the price as low as possible since I don't have a lot of disposible income.

Thanks in advance guys!

John

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi John,

I haven't had experience with either of these but both Zu Audio and Soundsmith have modified Denon 103 cartridges in your price range. Also, you may want to consider some of the Soundsmith Moving Iron Cartridges including the SMMC2 and the Boheme.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/smmc2.html

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/boheme.html

If you can stretch your budget a little, you could consider the Soundsmith SMMC1 which is a Stereophile A rated cartridge.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/smmc1.html

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

I haven't had experience with either of these but both Zu Audio and Soundsmith have modified Denon 103 cartridges in your price range. Also, you may want to consider some of the Soundsmith Moving Iron Cartridges including the SMMC2 and the Boheme.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/smmc2.html

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/boheme.html

If you can stretch your budget a little, you could consider the Soundsmith SMMC1 which is a Stereophile A rated cartridge.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/smmc1.html

Rich

I have in fact been looking at the Soundsmith cartridges because of your setup, and I can get them locally as well, so that's always a good thing. I could perhaps stretch it, if I were to sell my Yamaha AVR and I've considered it.

From your experience what characteristics would you say they excel at? It is very important to me that the midrange has few flaws and can provide me with a realistic interpretation of voices and acoustic sounds. The Sumiko Pearl is too bottom heavy for my liking and a bit thick in the midrange.

John

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have in fact been looking at the Soundsmith cartridges because of your setup, and I can get them locally as well, so that's always a good thing. I could perhaps stretch it, if I were to sell my Yamaha AVR and I've considered it.

From your experience what characteristics would you say they excel at? It is very important to me that the midrange has few flaws and can provide me with a realistic interpretation of voices and acoustic sounds. The Sumiko Pearl is too bottom heavy for my liking and a bit thick in the midrange.

John

Hi John,

I am not really sure how to compare them. The Strain Gauge is the only cartridge/phono preamp combination offered at this point to the best of my knowledge. But, the Strain Gauge because of its design has many of the best characteristics of both MC (or even MM/MI) cartridges and even CD. The cartridge is very fast with both early and late transients for instruments; has excellent highs, mids and bass; it is excellent for voice; guitar, piano, and other string insturments; brass; reed instruments; imaging; soundstage; life like presentation. I would consider the cartridge as quite dynamic, others do not. The top of the line Soundsmith Moving Iron cartridge, The Sussurro (Inspired by Frank Schröder of Schröder tonearms) and the Strain Gauge have a different slant on their sound from what I understand. Which is more real is open for debate.

My suggestion though because they are so different is to read reviews of the different cartridges and look to discussions perhaps on Audiogon.

Rich

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I second the Denon 103R and/or derivatives recommendation, it works well with the RB and has body and tracking capabilities for the kind of music you hear.

Another option is the Dynavector line, I would strongly suggest you to buy new if possible.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would never have thought about the Denon 103R, but will have a look and check things out. The Dynavector is already on the radar screen.....was looking at the 10X5 and possibly the 20X.

Thanks much.

John

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi John72953,

I don't consider myself a vynil expert. I can just tell you that I have heard a Rega turntable and tonearm create nice music with a Benz cartridge. I just do not know the price range of the Benz cartridges. I also recall that the Denon 103D which I own is an inexpensive cartridge that make female voices alluring. An inexpensive cartridge that I really enjoy listening to for all kinds of music is the Grado Gold.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi mullard88,

I've had the Grado Ref Platinum and wouldn't want to drop below that, but yes the Grado Gold is a wonderfully round cartridge. Regarding the Benz offerings, I've looked at the Ace and the MC Gold. I need to find out a little more about SL/SM/SH designations though for use within my setup. I know what they are, but I don't know what their sonic differences are. If anyone could expand on that, It would be most appreciated.

John

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would never have thought about the Denon 103R, but will have a look and check things out. The Dynavector is already on the radar screen.....was looking at the 10X5 and possibly the 20X.

Thanks much.

John

I upgraded my Denon 103R all the way up to a Dynavector Te-Kaitora, and giving the price differences and that the Dynavector was a more refined cartridge, the Denon stood-up as a great contender.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I've not heard it myself, but if their reputation (and my Parnassus) is anything to go by, try to check out Lyra's Dorian. It's a bit over your budget, but maybe a local dealer will do you a deal?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I will throw my hat in with the Denon 103R - and their derivatives. I have a stock Denon 103R that I use for the times when I have to demo with a "cheap" cartridge. It sounds fabulous for the price, and I would say that one of the strengths of this cartridge is the midrange. If you can get one of the wood-body versions (or do it yourself), it will take performance up a notch. Be sure that it's the /R version. The standard Denon 103 is not much cheaper, but the 103/R is far better.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For your budget and musical tastes, I'd consider the ZYX R100 H. I have an Airy 3 S which like all their brothers, has very nice solidity and punch in the midbass. It made my 20xl sound limp wristed. SORA sound which used to be the US distributor has them in stock still and sells them for less than $700 brand new. The price at needle doctor for the lower model R50 H is $1,000. Many of my friends who are into Prog Rock use the R50.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After reading the opinions from all of you (thank you very much by the way), I have decided that it's going to be a choice between the Dynavector 10x5 and the Denon 103R. Both cartridges suit my budget comfortably without straining my resources.

The Dynavector is easily obtainable in Canada...not so with the Denon, which I'll likely have to order from the U.S. If I do decide on the Denon I'll likely buy it from Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor. Having never ordered from them I'd like for those who have to chime in about their Customer Service (if you don't mind).

Thanks for all of your help and information so far, it is greatly appreciated.

John

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I've bought stuff from the Needle Doctor since I was living in Singapore over 10 years now. Mostly cartridges, record sleeves, and they used to sell LPs too, and have never had an issue. So, I've never had to call their customer service.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've bought stuff from the Needle Doctor since I was living in Singapore over 10 years now. Mostly cartridges, record sleeves, and they used to sell LPs too, and have never had an issue. So, I've never had to call their customer service.

Thanks Gary for that vote of confidence. I'm not really worried about it, but you know.....you may as well ask in case.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And the plot thickens!

I have an opportunity to buy the following from a friend.

Dynavector Karat 17D3 cartridge and the Dynavector P-75MKII phonostage for $925 total. Both are less than 6 months old, but the deal is I have to buy both. Not sure if I can swing that financially, but he is holding it for me for a week.

I think this is an outstanding deal and I would love to jump on it. What say you?

John

EDIT: The MSRP in Canada is $1,820 CDN for both........so half-price.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing