Studer A80 versus A80RC MKII

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
The VU bridge on the A 80 RC is crap , at least my version .

Folks, I'm a bit confused and am hoping for clarification as I continue my quest for an A80. In this thread, I have read that the RC version is better than the A80 VU version and have also read that the RC version stinks - so I've got several questions on the topic;

- when you say the RC version is crap, do you mean for the RC and RCmkII? And, if yes, you're saying that neither the VU or RC versions of the A80 has good VU electronics, but that the RC version is the lesser of the evils?
- Are there big differences between the A80RC and RCmkII machines? I have a line to an A80, but manufacturer plate only says "A80 RC" - is the mkII something I should consider holding out for?
- Is the A80RC or the A80VU model older? I always thought the VU but read in this thread that the RC is older. That kind of makes sense to me since the B67 mkII shares an outwardly identical meter bridge
- related to the question above, could a B67 mkII meter bridge be successfully mated to an A80RC with full capability? I ask because I have leads to two difference A80RCs sans VU and I would personally like to have an original meter bridge on the machines

I've searched repeatedly on the topic and can't find clear-cut information on the manufacturing timelines of the A80 series machines anywhere other than snippets here and there from web forum postings.

Your insight and clarification is appreciated.
Steve

Last edited:

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Hello Steve,

Understanding the A80 model family can indeed be challenging. It's a big subject. Unfortunately the web is full of misinformation about these important machines. I even see wrongful info posted here.

Again, I recommend the Studer list as the best place for getting authoritative, peer reviewed, factual information and answers to questions about Studer A80 (and A820) tape machines.

Fred Thal

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is mine it says A 80 RC at the back
_DSC0045 by andromeda61, on Flickr

There seem to be indeed a lot of versions of meterbridges , i personally wouldnt even bother with it , and buy a A 80 without a meterbridge or ...a telefunken M 15 A

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thought all RCs had ZERO LOCK ?
the trolley looks like ex BBC where the speed selector was down in front?
better change the bulb in RCH VU ;)
this machine will sound better W/O VU bridge...I sold mine..and got one without
best
Leif

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Folks, I'm a bit confused and am hoping for clarification as I continue my quest for an A80. In this thread, I have read that the RC version is better than the A80 VU version and have also read that the RC version stinks - so I've got several questions on the topic;

- when you say the RC version is crap, do you mean for the RC and RCmkII? And, if yes, you're saying that neither the VU or RC versions of the A80 has good VU electronics, but that the RC version is the lesser of the evils?
- Are there big differences between the A80RC and RCmkII machines? I have a line to an A80, but manufacturer plate only says "A80 RC" - is the mkII something I should consider holding out for?
- Is the A80RC or the A80VU model older? I always thought the VU but read in this thread that the RC is older. That kind of makes sense to me since the B67 mkII shares an outwardly identical meter bridge
- related to the question above, could a B67 mkII meter bridge be successfully mated to an A80RC with full capability? I ask because I have leads to two difference A80RCs sans VU and I would personally like to have an original meter bridge on the machines

I've searched repeatedly on the topic and can't find clear-cut information on the manufacturing timelines of the A80 series machines anywhere other than snippets here and there from web forum postings.

Your insight and clarification is appreciated.
Steve

No.... the A80RC Mk I or II is not "crap". Yes, you can do better, but saying it's crap is a gross overstatement. I use outboard pre's as well as the meter since I also do lots of tape transfers.
I prefer the RC to the VU since it's easier to work on. Both transports are pretty much the same, just the onboard electronics. I believe the VU is a little "newer", but what's 3-4yr. when you're taking about a 30yr old machine. I like the RC since it's easily converted to use an outboard pre as well as internal and you can take it apart in an hour with 3 tools. I also like the RC better since I feels it's easier to calibrate.

I have lot's of extra parts for the A80 and A820 machines as well as pristine meter bridges that are looking for good homes.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Dear Fred, I believe you could help a lot all participants here if you put your considerations about this two models here based on all your experience what, all us know, you are one of few most experts on this equipments on The world.

Hello Steve,

Understanding the A80 model family can indeed be challenging. It's a big subject. Unfortunately the web is full of misinformation about these important machines. I even see wrongful info posted here.

Again, I recommend the Studer list as the best place for getting authoritative, peer reviewed, factual information and answers to questions about Studer A80 (and A820) tape machines.

Fred Thal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Steve,

Fred Thal

Yes, the subject of the A80 models was discussed in several en-lighting and factual messages with great contributions of Fred Thal and Martin Berner in the Studer list in 2002. They are still my reference on this issue.

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:10:53 -0800 (PST)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:10:51 -0800
Subject: [Studer] A80 R and A80 RC differences
To: studer@recordist.com

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Unfortunately who has entered recently have no access to so old messages. Last messages avaliavle on group date from may of 2010. 8 years later The message reported.

Should be great read this information here

Yes, the subject of the A80 models was discussed in several en-lighting and factual messages with great contributions of Fred Thal and Martin Berner in the Studer list in 2002. They are still my reference on this issue.

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:10:53 -0800 (PST)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:10:51 -0800
Subject: [Studer] A80 R and A80 RC differences
To: studer@recordist.com

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
It's disturbing to see published pictures of A80s (like the most recent one of an A80/RC here) showing the machine incorrectly threaded.

Obviously, the tape goes the other way around the edit slider bolt!

For anyone in the WBF community sincerely interested in the Studer A80, please see my final WBF post today, in the Studer list thread.

Thanks!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont edit and it doesnt touch the tape in the extension mode , i merely use it sometimes when i spool to prevent the tape touching the heads and makes noise , the telefunken i have does it automatically
Presumably thats what you meant ,

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
Unfortunately who has entered recently have no access to so old messages. Last messages avaliavle on group date from may of 2010. 8 years later The message reported.

Assuming that you are a member of the Studer list, you can access the previous messages under the "Files" directory (in the yahoo Studer group). They are grouped together in text files (.txt).

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It's disturbing to see published pictures of A80s (like the most recent one of an A80/RC here) showing the machine incorrectly threaded.

Obviously, the tape goes the other way around the edit slider bolt!

For anyone in the WBF community sincerely interested in the Studer A80, please see my final WBF post today, in the Studer list thread.

Thanks!

I've seen an A80 threaded just about any way you can! Forget about the Preview machines... all bets are off!!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I dont edit and it doesnt touch the tape in the extension mode , i merely use it sometimes when i spool to prevent the tape touching the heads and makes noise , ,

That's what these are used for!

Attachments

• IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 449

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
No.... the A80RC Mk I or II is not "crap". Yes, you can do better, but saying it's crap is a gross overstatement. I use outboard pre's as well as the meter since I also do lots of tape transfers.
I prefer the RC to the VU since it's easier to work on. Both transports are pretty much the same, just the onboard electronics. I believe the VU is a little "newer", but what's 3-4yr. when you're taking about a 30yr old machine. I like the RC since it's easily converted to use an outboard pre as well as internal and you can take it apart in an hour with 3 tools. I also like the RC better since I feels it's easier to calibrate.

I have lot's of extra parts for the A80 and A820 machines as well as pristine meter bridges that are looking for good homes.

Bruce, to be clear, 'crap' was a term I was reiterating from another member - I don't know enough about any version of the machine, nor have I heard it's output in person, so I can't form an opinion on it. I emailed you about the parts - call, email, or PM me back and let's chat.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
That's what these are used for!

No, that is not correct.

Your picture shows the record fader lifter pin. That lifter must NEVER be actuated in fast wind.

The same is true for the edit slider bolt (located downstream of the capstan).

What are the benefits of the expensive, straight-line headblock bypass seen on the A80 when people wrongly insert fixed-pins into the all-rolling tape path during fast winding mode?

I've seen an A80 threaded just about any way you can! Forget about the Preview machines... all bets are off!!

Also incorrect information. While there indeed are different threading paths through an A80 preview headblock delay roller field, only the designated ones (for a given tape speed and lathe pitch controller) are correct.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing