Studer A80 versus A80RC MKII

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Guys,

I Have an opportunity to buy a A80 S/N 000195. but all indications for best performance are for A80RC MKII. I did spend 2 days looking for this information, but till now it was inconclusive, all indications say the A80RC MKII sound better. Ok, we know that sound Better is very subjective. In Theory A80RC MKII is a cheaper version. But is possible make the common A80 play the same with modifications ? The model offered me is like the picture below with Pre over it. To buy a RC MKII I should need to spend twice of investment. I Appreciate any help possible.

StuderA80JBsz.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The transports are pretty much the same, so if you do a direct wire out from the head into an outboard pre, there would/should? be no difference.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Dr. Bruce is correct. The transport mechanism is identical to A80RC. There are few differences in audio control card configuration but negligible.

The photo is of a Studer A80VU MkI (considering the S/N). It looks very clean from what I can see. The A80VU models are actually newer models than the A80RCs. If it is running correctly and calibrated properly, its performance is as good as A80RC with better flexibility such as being able to support IEC and NAB from the VU meter assemblies. The RC model has to have different Repro cards for IEC and NAB curves.

If an A80VU's head is direct wired with external preamp, it should work the same way. However, there are differences in A80VU and A80RC heads' inductance value. Unless you replace the A80VU headblock with A80RC headblock, you would need to have step-up transformers on A80VU repro head to compensate for its low inductance.

Reactions: sea breeze

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Thank you So Much, Ki and Bruce. After some conversations I found a A80 RC MKII as I wish. I will Pickup it in Saturday. I just have another question. I intent to replace capacitors and some another pieces to leave it perfect for use. The ebay set from the Australian guy is nice ? or should be indicated purchase it in another way ? Ki, you sell this kind of parts for a revision ?

Thank you so much you both !

Luiz

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
There are several folks who can help you out with rebuilding the cards.

2 gentlemen in the U.S. that most folks use are Steve Smith in Nashville, TN and Charlie Bolois in California. I have about a dozen cards done by these gentlemen. Top notch work.

For some great modified cards, please contact Todor at MTSL (Master Tape Sound Lab).

Last edited:
Reactions: sea breeze
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ve been told the pictured A80 VU have inferior repro and record circuits design/layout, in addition to the obvious extra cabling/connectors to and back from the VU/electronics bridge
The A80 RC is built on a frame and is, in my opinion, easier to service/access than the original A80R
I have custom reprocards from MTSL including some very hefty custom regulated audio psu´s/stab cards and together with kaptonisolated silver audiopath (including headblock)rewiring the difference to stock is enormous! I´ve done this on 4 machines now and the reprocards have evolved into something truly outstanding in the process of discussing alternative components and solutions on the boards
Todor Dimitrov definitely knows what he´s doing and is a very nice guy to have a dialogue and do business with
highly recommended
best
Leif

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you So Much, Ki and Bruce. After some conversations I found a A80 RC MKII as I wish. I will Pickup it in Saturday. I just have another question. I intent to replace capacitors and some another pieces to leave it perfect for use. The ebay set from the Australian guy is nice ? or should be indicated purchase it in another way ? Ki, you sell this kind of parts for a revision ?

Thank you so much you both !

Luiz

If you have access to the services of a good technician I would advise you to replace just the electrolytic capacitors and the dreadful .47 uF square film ones, and keep everything as close to original as possible. If you want a different sound I would suggest getting an external amplifier - the Bottlehead Eros tubed preamplfier can be bought in kit around usd 800 and is an excellent unit.

Please note that the orange capacitors are not tantalum - they are dry capacitors with an expected life of over 100 000 hours at +85º C. In principle they do not need replacement.

Spares for the A80 are easy to get in Europe - if you need any help please send me a PM.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cant comment on the sound difference , versus direct out > pre / via VU bridge ( i understood the signal passes through the meters ?).
But the buildquality sucks for a Swiss made apparatus

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Roger Ginsley of Tetx Electronics in Ontario, Canada does a great job on these machines.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Fred Thal, of ATAE, does a great job on these machines, too.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Besides repro does doshi and te one M lavigne uses also comes in recordamp ???

I use the King Cello. it's not really set up for recording from mics as an input device. however; I do plan on dubbing some of my tapes thru it (when I get around to it). for example; I would output a 1/4" tape from the 1/4" A-820 thru the King Cello and then into the inputs of my 1/2" A-820. this would bypass the stock output electronics of the 1/4" machine.

the 1/2" A-820 does have the trafoless (transformer-less) cards. not sure that covers both input and output or not.

will I ever get around to actually doing that? who knows.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Guys,

Thank you very much for all your help ! Now I'm proud owner of a A80RC MKII in pristine condition. just like any newbie I have some simple questions what should help me a lot.

For recording you are using ATR or RMGI Tapes ? In the Gearslutz the opinions are not conclusive. And how for us who look for best reproduction, dynamic range and silent. would like to know your opinion.

The CCIR Equalization is the better choice ? I saw that most pre recordes tapes use it, but some use NAB ?

For ATR or SM900 the MRL Tape for 250 nWB/m should be the one ?

Thank you all again !
Luiz

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Guys,

Thank you very much for all your help ! Now I'm proud owner of a A80RC MKII in pristine condition. just like any newbie I have some simple questions what should help me a lot.

For recording you are using ATR or RMGI Tapes ? In the Gearslutz the opinions are not conclusive. And how for us who look for best reproduction, dynamic range and silent. would like to know your opinion.

The CCIR Equalization is the better choice ? I saw that most pre recordes tapes use it, but some use NAB ?

Thank you all again !
Luiz

Congrats!

We exclusively use RMGI/Pyral SM900. It's the quietest I've used and you can hit it really hard. For Classical and Acoustic Jazz, it's especially good for low level detail.

The MRL tape I use is 355 nWb/m for IEC at 15ips. Part# 241-673-512-100

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I'm happy with RMGI/Pyral SM900 and prefer IEC/IEC1/CCIR EQ for 15 ips. Get some MRL cal tapes, too! :)

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Guys,

Thank you all again !
Luiz

Congrats on getting that A80... wonderful!

I make all my duplicate tapes on RMGI SM900, it has a wonderful sound balance.

However, I record all my masters using NAB... (I know everyone seems to favour CCIR...)

I have recorded using both & find NAB has a warmer mid-bass & more natural sound character for the classical chamber music I record... In fact all Studers, even in Europe, were supplied from the factory standard with NAB chips & CCIR was a special order....

I was interested to read in Larry Toy's fantastic book on Decca Records that Decca also recorded all their masters in NAB with 1/4" Studer B62s at +4 db (396 nW/m)...

In the whole classical music catalogue, there are no better recordings, (LPs) than the early Decca SXLs.... very natural musical sound.... IMHO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing