iPhone App for the forum (NOT!)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like there is now an iPhone available for the forum software we use, and hence for accessing this site: http://itunes.apple.com/app/vbulletin-mobile/id401734344?mt=8

I say looks like because I don't have an iPhone :). So can someone try it and report back how well it works?

Edit: turns out this is not the real deal. It is a fixed function version which only works with the forum that our software developer uses. Generic version to come later.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Didn't know about that app, but I use TAPATALK which is similar. You can get a FREE version, which allows you to view/browse only. I beleive the paid version of it is $2.99. I will check out the vBulletin app though......

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks John.

I just noticed the following in the left pane on Apple's app store above:

"Rated 12+ for the following:
Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content or Nudity"

What the heck? What is the app reviewer at Apple smoking?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Obviously not the same stuff I am! LOL! Kidding!

I have no idea what that is all about either.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, seems like that is sadly the case. Good news is that they are developing a generic one for us to use. Bad news is that they are saying it won't be free but not much more. We will keep you posted. Sorry for the false alarm guys :).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Doesn't look like TAPATALK points here either.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
OK, seems like that is sadly the case. Good news is that they are developing a generic one for us to use. Bad news is that they are saying it won't be free but not much more. We will keep you posted. Sorry for the false alarm guys :).

How do you know they are developing a generic one for us?

BTW I never have problem accessing the site from my iPhone without any mobile app

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How do you know they are developing a generic one for us?

BTW I never have problem accessing the site from my iPhone without any mobile app

Same here, but apps like TAPATALK and I suppose the vBulletin one are much more user friendly. Just download the free TAPATALK version and you'll know what I mean.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't have this app but I have used another one. What it does is that it eliminates a lot of the screen clutter with tiny controls with big buttons and such that are easy to press. That said, it is more of a help on forums with a ton of ads and sidebars which our forum does not have.

On my Android phone, I also browse well but if I want to go forward in pages, I have to enlarge the page as otherwise, my finger hits the wrong button some of the time (in landscape mode it is fine as the image is larger).

So yes, this is not a critical thing in this day and age of grown up phones with good browsers.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Same here. I've not noticed any real issues using safari on the iPhone on this site. Bigger buttons would be nice but hardly a show stopper. Other sites that clutter the screen with sidebars and scrunch everything down in the middle are not near as friendly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing