Audiocable conspiracy

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
I just wonder why in most cases amplifiers etc has so small wires inside, when most people add thick expensive cables on their equipments.
Why arent those that produces amps and such using better wires inside.

How is it possible the sound get better, when the wires inside are so small?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am not an engineer but perhaps they use smaller signals and shorter runs. form point to point. Of course if you truly believe that there are manufacturers who use premium wires.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Short thin wires are the same as long thick wires. While this is a simplification the differences that some people report hearing between cables is an exaggeration.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Short thin wires are the same as long thick wires. While this is a simplification the differences that some people report hearing between cables is an exaggeration.
It's kind of hard to argue that.
Short thin wires are not he same as long thick wires.
Yes some people exaggerate. For example when they claim no difference between wires.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Total end-to-end resistance is the primary consideration. Compared to the people that claim a to hear a difference it's a small exaggeration indeed.
Yes on rare occasions there can be audible differences between speaker cables. But there are engineering reasons for those differences.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
For example when they claim no difference between wires.
On second thought, it's not an exaggeration, they a guilty of making a too broad of a generalization.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The amplifier's enclosure is a shield, but the proximity is generally much farther away which has a benefit. The wire runs are much shorter, too. They are not typically passing through various different connectors either.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A nice veiled Cable thread...

This stated I'll pass ...

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
A nice veiled Cable thread...

This stated I'll pass ...

I'll pass too, for the above reason. But not before pointing out that many manufacturers do pay great attention to the internal cabling within a component and that as has already been pointed out, generally the runs inside components are extremely short with manufacturers often taking pains to minimise (and proudly advertise), for example, the run from the mainboard to the rear panel connectors.

That said, bye and enjoy your ten millionth cable debate guys!!

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I just wonder why in most cases amplifiers etc has so small wires inside, when most people add thick expensive cables on their equipments.
Why arent those that produces amps and such using better wires inside.

How is it possible the sound get better, when the wires inside are so small?

Their primary concern is safety and not SQ. Amps can cause fires just like other electrical devices. The audio designer seldom has a say in what cables are used, its some guy with a spec sheet choosing products from an offshore manufacturer. There are exceptions to the rule of course but hope that helps. If you want to have an amp modded with audiophile wires check out the Scott tube amps that are modded by Mapleshade.

Henry van der Burgh

Aug 9, 2016
Hi Kaeksen,

I don't know much about cable principles. All I do know that some high end cables are very thin. But indeed my KR Audio VA 350i seem to have some "normal" cabling inside, but it sounds superb. But then again my Straightwire Crescendo loudspeaker cables and especially my HB Cable Design Mook A3000 are giving more music then any other cable I have tried. Also My Heavens Gate audio are very good at spatial sound and bass.

Regards,

Henry

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thick cables often have a lot of filler in them as distance between wires and shields reduce capacitance, so there is motivation to make shielded cables very thick even if the signal wire is very thin. Speaker cables are often oversized for no good reason, mostly so the manufacturer doesn't have to offer multiple gauges, they just sell you an overkill cable that'll work fine on low impedance high power speakers even if you have a high efficiency speaker and SET amp. People just don't know better in most cases.

That said you're mostly right, people pay a lot for premium cables and ignore substandard wire and connectors in their components. There is basically the equivalent of a cable in a component, and it matters as much as external cables. I always encourage people to upgrade wiring and connectors inside their components as well as upgrading cabling. If you use high quality parts from power to speaker driver it will make massive differences that are hard to overstate. This might include upgrading some capacitors and resistors in the signal path as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing