New Lyra and Koetsu

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Re-configuring , and "re-investing" over the last few months with the front end. Just arrived , new in the box Lyra Atlas.

I will see about mounting it on the 4-point this weekend to begin impressions. Has anyone come up with good recommendations for loading on this cartridge?

As far as the Koetsu is concerned effectively brand new back from a Koetsu total rebuild earlier this year (don't ask about the tragedy that sent this one off). I have not had the opportunity to mount it. Its a Rosewood Signature Platinum and I love the combination of body and sparkle the Platinum option offers in this model.

So, if I get the time, I will mount the RSP on the Brinkmann 12.1 and get really confused on which I prefer. I will be getting the Io modified to accept 2 phono inputs instead of 1 phono and 1 line in the coming weeks. This will make things easier to use.

Over this past year I have been pre-occupied with my amplification for the Beveridge electrostatics so the front end has been neglected. I have gone direct drive with new amplifiers that charge the stators directly eliminating 2x transformers in the chain- very revealing.

There seems to be considerable experience here with the Atlas at least, so if there are any recommendations I would appreciate any input as I get the jigs and magnifying glasses out.

Thanks.

Attachments

• cartridges.jpg
    cartridges.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 645

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Re-configuring , and "re-investing" over the last few months with the front end. Just arrived , new in the box Lyra Atlas.

I will see about mounting it on the 4-point this weekend to begin impressions. Has anyone come up with good recommendations for loading on this cartridge?

As far as the Koetsu is concerned effectively brand new back from a Koetsu total rebuild earlier this year (don't ask about the tragedy that sent this one off). I have not had the opportunity to mount it. Its a Rosewood Signature Platinum and I love the combination of body and sparkle the Platinum option offers in this model.

So, if I get the time, I will mount the RSP on the Brinkmann 12.1 and get really confused on which I prefer. I will be getting the Io modified to accept 2 phono inputs instead of 1 phono and 1 line in the coming weeks. This will make things easier to use.

Over this past year I have been pre-occupied with my amplification for the Beveridge electrostatics so the front end has been neglected. I have gone direct drive with new amplifiers that charge the stators directly eliminating 2x transformers in the chain- very revealing.

There seems to be considerable experience here with the Atlas at least, so if there are any recommendations I would appreciate any input as I get the jigs and magnifying glasses out.

Thanks.

Lyra has some pretty detailed loading instructions in the box. Takes into account they capacitance of your phono cable as well. I ran mine at 470ohms. But this will vary b/c of your phono stage and cabling...

BTW...I bet your system sounds great !!

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thank you for the advice, your system is SOTA .. love to hear Rockports one day.

Yes, I saw the instructions but I appreciate the personal experience you offer. I was down to the GFS or the Atlas and it really came down to what was available. Its a long story- but the Atlas was said to be immediately available and in the end it took two + months to arrive where the Goldfinger was not available at the time but one came up within days of talking to the distributer AFTER I ordered the Atlas. Fate maybe?

One of the local audiophiles has the GFSv2 , like yours, so I was really prepared to pull the trigger on it based on my impressions- but the Atlas came to be.

Thanks again.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Kin, I see you also own the Benz LP. I would be very interested in your thoughts about how the LP compares to your new Atlas and your Koetsu RSP. I have my eye on a Lyra, a Benz LPS MR and the RSP as a replacement for my Ruby 2.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Lyra has some pretty detailed loading instructions in the box.!

You can follow Lyra's instructions "by the numbers". However, Its so easy to hear changes in loading, you'll easily be able to find something that sounds best to you. It was with my Lyra Etna. Suggested loading was 500+ ohms. I ended up at 250. I would have had an easier time of it if I waited 50 hours or so for some breakin and didn't keep fiddling with the VTA.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
You can follow Lyra's instructions "by the numbers". However, Its so easy to hear changes in loading, you'll easily be able to find something that sounds best to you. It was with my Lyra Etna. Suggested loading was 500+ ohms. I ended up at 250. I would have had an easier time of it if I waited 50 hours or so for some breakin and didn't keep fiddling with the VTA.

Thanks Barry, things settling in definitely do have an impact.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kin, I see you also own the Benz LP. I would be very interested in your thoughts about how the LP compares to your . . . your Koetsu RSP. . . . I have my eye on . . . a Benz LPS MR and the RSP as a replacement for my Ruby 2.

+1

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

Hello, I certainly will report back with some hours on ... unfortunately, best laid plans this past weekend I did not get the Atlas on the Helikon remains- will get to it and follow up soon.

thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing