Playback Designs Upgrade Kit to Quad DSD for 3 and 5 Series DACs and Players

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Playback Designs has said for sometime now that there will be upgrades for their earlier products. And here's what they posted on their web site on the upgrades to address the Apple USB driver and add Quad DSD to the earlier Playback Designs products:

"Upgrade Kit Coming Soon:
Following our tradition to always support our loyal customers with their existing Playback Designs products we are preparing an upgrade kit for all 5- and 3-series players and DACs. This will add the capability to play quad DSD files which can be generated and recorded with our new and upcoming "Pinot" A/D converter, and also address the issue with Apple's USB driver. The upgrade kit will be available later in 2016."
http://playbackdesigns.com/#news

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Andreas is making a new USB-X box which was to have been released in April-May

The previous USB-X box will not function with El Capitain OS and hence the need to write code which Apple wasn't prepared to do.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
This is very good news for PB customers
Unfortunately I'm not.
By a twist of fate I ended up with emm, which is reluctant to give their customers a fair go.

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Looking forward to the 4xDSD. I was wondering whether they would also jump on the MQA bandwagon?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I have had success with the iOS Sierra system, where my USB-XII box has been finally recognised through Audirvana.
In saying that, I have also ordered the new version 3 box, expected end of this month.
The new USB-XIII box is superb, as it can rip the DSD layer of the SACD directly from the disc as a file onto a computer. It can also output single DSD on AES/EBU and SPDIF.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
This may be going slightly off topic, but thought some on this thread might be interested in this new Positive Feedback review of the latest digital system from Playback Designs. Seems the reviewer finds it to be a step up from their previous top of the line.

Steve Williams

Does anyone know more details? Is this going to be a hardware based upgrade, or a firmware upgrade? Is it free? :)

It's a new box

BTW after a year of waiting I enjoyed what Neville said about USB-X2 functioning with OS Sierra, I did the upgrade. I initially thought mine functioned when using JRiver but I spoke too soon so good to know about Audirvana.

So I guess I will wait for the new box as well

Steve Williams

Well here is a revelation that I just discovered. Previously I had my USB X2 box working fine with Yosemite as I switched back from El Capitan to Yosemite but then an auto update to Yosemite screwed my box once again and I have a USB X3 box on order. After upgrading to Sierra OS after Neville said his USB X2 box worked after the upgrade I found mine still did not. Then I had this brain wave to upgrade to ther current version of JRiver (MC22). I was running MC21.

After the instal was complete I turned on my digital side of the system and using the USB X2 box I am now completely able to play any HiRez PCM up to DXD and also DSD up to DSD128. So the only thing the USB X3 box will do is to allow me to play DSD256. Also Andreas tells me the USB X3 box is also powered unlike its predecessors

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing