Trigger output only 0.3V on Evolution 2250e Power Amp - any thoughts?

Wilson Laidlaw

Mar 3, 2015
Lewes, UK and Tourtour, France
I recently replaced my 8 year old and slightly disappointing Aqua Acoustic La Voce DAC with a Benchmark DAC2L. I am currently triggering my Krell Evolution 2250e power amp on and off, from the Meridian G02 Pre-Amp. I was a bit concerned originally (as was Patrick Bresnahan of Krell) that the weird 8V nominal trigger from the Meridian (actually 9.1V on a meter) would be enough to trigger the Krell but in practice it works fine. Now that I have the Benchmark, which also has a trigger input, I thought I could use the trigger output of the Krell, shown as 12V 30mA in the manual to switch on the Benchmark. I first tried with a TRS (stereo) 3.5mm lead but no joy. Benchmark suggested I try with a TS (mono) 3.5mm lead but before I did that, I thought I would check the voltage output of the Krell trigger at the end of the mono lead, in case it is just a pass through of the inwards trigger from the Meridian, which might be too low voltage to trigger the Benchmark. To my surprise, the voltage on the trigger output is only .32V. I am very reluctant to go through the pain of having the Krell serviced just for this, as the rest is working just fine and it is only 3 years old.

Any ideas folks?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing