Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Is the MSRP for the LP2.1 still around $9k?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ron,

re-reading my above post and with my memory jogged with a bit more time, I think being fair to the Aesthetix Io Sig I need to point out that I was told by Albert Porter at that time (approx. 14 years ago) that if I would have played around with rolling various tubes on the Io Sig that I could have lowered the noise and found a more neutral balance. this was prior to Albert being a dealer; he was all-Aesthetix then and had not yet encountered Allnic.

I never did do that when I had the Io Sig. but my perspective that it was not neutral is maybe not the whole picture.

and I have no idea how the Aesthetix Io Sig of today compares to then.

You might have replaced some microphonic ones here and there Mike but there's no way to quiet down a phono stage with all that many tubes in the circuit, that's always been the issue with Io. Forget about tube rolling specially with exotic ones, you need hundreds or even thousands to really match a full set, then what happens when they start going?

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You might have replaced some microphonic ones here and there Mike but there's no way to quiet down a phono stage with all that many tubes in the circuit, that's always been the issue with Io. Forget about tube rolling specially with exotic ones, you need hundreds or even thousands to really match a full set, then what happens when they start going?

david

makes perfect sense David. and with all those tubes the Io did certainly warm up the room in addition to warming up the sonic balance. between the Io and my Tenor OTL's (which while neutral sounding got out-right hot) my smallish room got very warm.

the Lamm was the more musically fulfilling product to my ears at that time.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Just an observation to share in terms of gain with this unit using a .3mV LOMC cartridge. The standard Jensen transformer in the LP2.1 offers 60dB of gain. With the Allnic, I have a maximum gain of 74dB (selectable). How this translates to listening volume on my preamp is as follows. The Pass XS overall gain is described as -89.5dB to +9.5dB. Listening relatively loud...say 90-95 average SPL the volume setting level on the preamp with the Allnic feeding it at 74dB gain is about -25dB. An equivalent volume level with the Lamm feeding the Pass XS is -11dB....so I still have 20dB of gain left in the tank for the the Pass XS pre would be considered cranked to the max. This is what you would expect based on the specs.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just an observation to share in terms of gain with this unit using a .3mV LOMC cartridge. The standard Jensen transformer in the LP2.1 offers 60dB of gain. With the Allnic, I have a maximum gain of 74dB (selectable). How this translates to listening volume on my preamp is as follows. The Pass XS overall gain is described as -89.5dB to +9.5dB. Listening relatively loud...say 90-95 average SPL the volume setting level on the preamp with the Allnic feeding it at 74dB gain is about -25dB. An equivalent volume level with the Lamm feeding the Pass XS is -11dB....so I still have 20dB of gain left in the tank for the the Pass XS pre would be considered cranked to the max. This is what you would expect based on the specs.

Sounds about right. I have 76db of gain on my phono stage and often listen at -25db. If I use the 66db setting I am anywhere between -10 and -15db.

As for 20db of gain, I wonder if the going above 0db changes the character of the sound as the Pass XS Pre would go from attenuation to gain? Hopefully you'd never need to find out!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
As for 20db of gain, I wonder if the going above 0db changes the character of the sound as the Pass XS Pre would go from attenuation to gain? Hopefully you'd never need to find out!

It doesn't...I have gone to +5db listening to a tape that was recorded low to start out with...just to see what would happen.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Just finished listening to Ray Brown Trio "Soular Energy". A little over 24 hours since the unit was switched on..with maybe 6 hours of that listening. The unit has come a long way. Ray Brown's bass runs are fully extended and defined compared to yesterday. The piano strikes are amazing. I know I have more time to go until the unit opens up completely and refines. One thing for sure, this or his big brother will be added to the stable. Ray Brown Trio was reproduced with a sense of presence, drive and authority that took my breath away.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just finished listening to Ray Brown Trio "Solar Circus". A little over 24 hours since the unit was switched on..with maybe 6 hours of that listening. The unit has come a long way. Ray Brown's bass runs are fully extended and defined compared to yesterday. The piano strikes are amazing. I know I have more time to go until the unit opens up completely and refines. One thing for sure, this or his big brother will be added to the stable. Ray Brown Trio was reproduced with a sense of presence, drive and authority that took my breath away.

Thank you for sharing both your impressions and enthusiasm, I'm enjoying it. Of course given that we share the same amps and preamp, it's very relevant for me.

Can you see yourself enjoying both this and your Allnic (e.g. different flavor or strengths) or do you think you might find this to be superior overall?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thank you for sharing both your impressions and enthusiasm, I'm enjoying it. Of course given that we share the same amps and preamp, it's very relevant for me.

Can you see yourself enjoying both this and your Allnic (e.g. different flavor or strengths) or do you think you might find this to be superior overall?

Good question. I think there is room for both. The Lamm is still not at full strength yet...so I need more time. It's got a lot of slam. Lamma Slamma !

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Good question. I think there is room for both. The Lamm is still not at full strength yet...so I need more time. It's got a lot of slam. Lamma Slamma !

Don't forget to try some classical (and if you have, share your impressions). :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian

The question you need to ask Christian if he considers the phono stage dark. I personally don't think that at all. You need to relisten

I believe he's already answered that, Steve (stating that is was NOT dark). For the record, I never heard any Lamm phono stage. I considered it back when I owned the M1.2's and the L2 Reference but my dealer (who sold both Lamm and another line) advised me that the other line was better. I followed his recommendations and while I was very happy with it for years, I never compared it. I did find the L2 Reference dark, and I think Lamm does have a reputation for being dark, but in all fairness my experience was years ago with different speakers & sources etc.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I hear this term..."dark", banded around quite a bit these day! Would someone care to tell me what is meant by the term--a "dark" sounding component??:confused::confused::)

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I hear this term..."dark" banded around quite a bit these day! Would someone care to tell me what is meant by the term--a "dark" sounding component??:confused::confused::)

Usually that the mids or especially highs aren't as prominent as someone thinks they should be. I've heard both bright and dark system be musically engaging. Sometimes it might come off dark at first...but still has all that detail and sparkle...just the harsh edge is gone and I find this to be some of the very best out there.

My dealers room is brighter than my room. I love both systems.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Usually that the mids or especially highs aren't as prominent as someone thinks they should be. I've heard both bright and dark system be musically engaging. Sometimes it might come off dark at first...but still has all that detail and sparkle...just the harsh edge is gone and I find this to be some of the very best out there.

My dealers room is brighter than my room. I love both systems.

Ian, are we then saying that the gear in question ( that 'supposedly' sounds 'dark) isn't as resolving as it should be in the mids and the highs? Wouldn't a piece of gear that accurately depicts what is on the source and yet does NOT highlight ( or makes more prominent) the mids and highs be simply more accurate?
I have to wonder if the term 'dark'( or not 'dark') is nothing more than a preference for a certain type of 'coloration'???
Perhaps a good subject for another thread....:D

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ian, are we then saying that the gear in question ( that 'supposedly' sounds 'dark) isn't as resolving as it should be in the mids and the highs? Wouldn't a piece of gear that accurately depicts what is on the source and yet does NOT highlight ( or makes more prominent) the mids and highs be simply more accurate?
I have to wonder if the term 'dark'( or not 'dark') is nothing more than a preference for a certain type of 'coloration'???
Perhaps a good subject for another thread....:D

It's John...unless you were addressing this to Ian... ;-)

I've found that "good dark" gear is plenty resolving. To the point you're missing nothing. And if you listen to live music, especially un amplified in a good venue it's nothing bright. I just saw Jersey Boys in Vegas this past week. At Paris. Damn...I would have said it's dark. But I heard every single detail. Every single nuance. Every single inflection. Simply amazing acoustics. I was on the 2nd row just a bit to the left. I think i heard more of them vs the speakers...

As for your post, yes to me it's more accurate. Again in comparison to live un amplified music. And yes can certainly be a preference. And yes...another thread let's dig in ;-)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'd say the Lamm is falling into the Goldilocks zone....Just right....at least in my system. I think the treble extension is a bit more pronounced than on my Allnic at this point..but it's still breaking in. Nothing bright or edgy. The only other phono I can compare this against is the Pass XP-25...which in my opinion sounds too hi-fi and does not flesh out the music as well as the tubed competition. For about the same money...Lamm LP2.1 vs Pass XP-25..,it's not even close to these ears. Lamm all the way.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'd say the Lamm is falling into the Goldilocks zone....Just right....at least in my system. I think the treble extension is a bit more pronounced than on my Allnic at this point..but it's still breaking in. Nothing bright or edgy. The only other phono I can compare this against is the Pass XP-25...which in my opinion sounds too hi-fi and does not flesh out the music as well as the tubed competition. For about the same money...Lamm LP2.1 vs Pass XP-25..,it's not even close to these ears. Lamm all the way.

I totally agree that the XP-25 is not fleshy.

Have you tried classical yet?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing