Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's never been an issue Ian as I can tell youth the accuracy on the right and left channel with each click is exactly the same just as Vlad said it would be as I measured after I got them. Each click on the gain control is identical to the other channel. As I said like you I was worried that it would be a constant up and down....it isn't. . . .

+1

I have the same dual attenuator arrangement on the Io. The lack of a remote has never bothered me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
First observation after 30min warmup...turning up the volume at pretty loud listening level and putting my ear by the speakers w/o music...the Lamm is dead quiet. SS dead quiet. It seems quieter than the XP-25 from what I can remember. Quite a feat for tubes. I will try some music in a couple hours.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I owned the original Lamm LP2 phono for 4 years 2001-2005 between an Aesthetics Io Signature and my darTZeel preamp.

it did a good job and I would call it a master of subtlety and harmonic shading over dynamic grip.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I owned the original Lamm LP2 phono for 4 years 2001-2005 between an Aesthetics Io Signature and my darTZeel preamp.

it did a good job and I would call it a master of subtlety and harmonic shading over dynamic grip.

Mike, your progression of phono stages from Aesthetix to Lamm to DarTZeel is interesting. Do you think your preference has evolved from one in which bloominess and harmonic richness (Io) is a main attraction to one in which neutrality is the main objective?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, your progression of phono stages from Aesthetix to Lamm to DarTZeel is interesting. Do you think your preference has evolved from one in which bloominess and harmonic richness (Io) is a main attraction to one in which neutrality is the main objective?

I used my Aesthetix Io Signature with my Mark Levinson #32 preamp. loved it, loved it. at that time (late 90's) it was the best I'd heard.

but low noise was not it's forte. it was about tone and bloom as you say....but it brought along it's own color to the picture. at that time I was traversing in my high end path from a somewhat highlighted type sound with Levinson, Wilson, even a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum cartridge.......to a more 'of a piece' 75 watt Tenor OTL's, Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D and vDh Colibri cartridge (I owned 7 of these cartridges). I wanted to have the system get out of the way of the music. I wanted nuance and speed.....and texture. the Lamm LP2 was complimentary to that direction. I felt it complimented and facilitated the music and did not add it's own viewpoint. but stayed natural and listenable.

my next steps after that were the Rockport Sirius III tt and selling my home, moving, and building a dedicated room.

and since then I've never been drawn to coloration. once coloration enters, balance is a constant drag on system building.

OTOH I owned and loved that Koetsu RSP (if rarely used it) for 10 years afterwards like a mistress one cannot quite completely ignore.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Brand new out of the box with 4 hours warmup..treble and midrange is very good for not even being close to broken in. I would call it a very lively presentation...nothing dark about this pre. I expect the treble to settle a bit. The bass currently suffers from lack of extension, somewhat muddy and loose and feels constricted ....not enough bloom. I suspect this is a breakin issue. I think I am going to really like this phono stage. Hopefully things open up....particularly the bass region in the next couple days.

Edit: now 10 hours in...bass sounding tighter, more extended and clearer.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ron,

re-reading my above post and with my memory jogged with a bit more time, I think being fair to the Aesthetix Io Sig I need to point out that I was told by Albert Porter at that time (approx. 14 years ago) that if I would have played around with rolling various tubes on the Io Sig that I could have lowered the noise and found a more neutral balance. this was prior to Albert being a dealer; he was all-Aesthetix then and had not yet encountered Allnic.

I never did do that when I had the Io Sig. but my perspective that it was not neutral is maybe not the whole picture.

and I have no idea how the Aesthetix Io Sig of today compares to then.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
As we age, it's good to get some exercise getting up to flip records and adjust volume. I feel sorry for the digi server guys. They never have to get up other than to eat and pee...not healthy, lol

..I have a couple of herniated/degenerated lumbar discs and my remote controlled MAC preamp is a lifesaver...my prostate alarm does go off quite often however :p

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
If this unit rox my socks off...I may need to open the wallet a bit further for the LP1 Sig. I am doing all I can do not to put a record on yet. I want to get a good warm up before my first impression.

..there's an LL1 Signature Reference on A'gon for $24800...brand new never opened. I don't know much about LAMM eqpt but this 4 box kit must be something...MSRP of $42690

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
..there's an LL1 Signature Reference on A'gon for $24800...brand new never opened. I don't know much about LAMM eqpt but this 4 box kit must be something...MSRP of $42690

The one box LP2.1 deluxe appears to be a sonic bargain. I can't wait for it to burn in more. Impressive to say the least so far. Bass is improving by the hour.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hang on to your hat Christian. These have balls of steel once run in.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I used my Aesthetix Io Signature with my Mark Levinson #32 preamp. loved it, loved it. at that time (late 90's) it was the best I'd heard.

but low noise was not it's forte. it was about tone and bloom as you say....but it brought along it's own color to the picture. . . . I wanted to have the system get out of the way of the music. I wanted nuance and speed.....and texture. the Lamm LP2 was complimentary to that direction. I felt it complimented and facilitated the music and did not add it's own viewpoint. but stayed natural and listenable.

. . .

and since then I've never been drawn to coloration. once coloration enters, balance is a constant drag on system building.

. . .

That is very interesting, Mike. Thank you for detailing that history!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm starting to think if anyone tries to take it away, it will be from "my cold dead hands..." ;)

Wow...and this coming from a Allnic H5000 DHT guy...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

re-reading my above post and with my memory jogged with a bit more time, I think being fair to the Aesthetix Io Sig I need to point out that I was told by Albert Porter at that time (approx. 14 years ago) that if I would have played around with rolling various tubes on the Io Sig that I could have lowered the noise and found a more neutral balance. this was prior to Albert being a dealer; he was all-Aesthetix then and had not yet encountered Allnic.

I never did do that when I had the Io Sig. but my perspective that it was not neutral is maybe not the whole picture.

and I have no idea how the Aesthetix Io Sig of today compares to then.

Thanks for reflecting, Mike, but I do not think you were unfair to the Io.

Some early Ios were a little bit noise prone. The Io is 100% tube amplifying up to about 80 dB. (Do the Lamm phono stages have built-in step up devices?)

I think it is completely fair to say that the sonic picture of a component as it comes from the factory is its whole sonic picture. Jim White designed it the way he wanted to design it, and he selected the tubes he wanted to use.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm starting to think if anyone tries to take it away, it will be from "my cold dead hands..." ;)

And it's not even an LP1signature.

I know that GTT audio in NJ has had an NIB LL 1 for sale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing