Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My Allnic H5000 DHT power supply died suddenly a couple of days ago. The unit just shipped off to Korea for repair. In the meantime David K was kind enough to set me up with a Lamm demo while I am phono stageless. Listening to RTR now. I should have the Lamma Slamma by Friday. It will be an interesting contrast with my Allnic. If I really like the Lamm sound in my system I will keep this or go for the LP1 and maintain two reference phono's stages.:eek:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's great, Christian, and very nice of David!

I look forward to reading your impressions of the Lamm versus your Allnic.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
you should have had him send you a preamp as well ;)

For the types of music I listen too and the slam I require...from the reviews I have read...the ML2's wont cut it in the bass slam dept. Sticking with solid state and I like's me remote on the pre. ;) I would not relish getting up every time to adjust the volume. It's bad enough already flipping 45 rpm records...lol

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For the types of music I listen too and the slam I require...from the reviews I have read...the ML2's wont cut it in the bass slam dept. Sticking with solid state and I like's me remote on the pre. ;) I would not relish getting up every time to adjust the volume. It's bad enough already flipping 45 rpm records...lol

I felt the same Christian when I bought mine. Vlad told me that one finds a level on the preamp that works for most genres and rarely does one need to go up or down on the SPL. He will never make a preamp with a remote control. In my room it is easy as my preamp is only a few feet away from where I sit. After a while it truly becomes a non issue

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Interesting observation sir.

I have a CJ ET5 preamp with a numerical display. Each "click" (number) up and down is a 0.7db difference. Volume settings on different recordings range from 40 to 65.

I do record each volume setting for each CD so I can replicate when I play again. Found that having the correct volume setting in my room is critical to musical enjoyment. However, I do have a somewhat "live" room so room nodes / reflectivity set in when the volume is too high. I call it room overload. I'm suspect that you don't have this issue with your listening room.

Also provides me feedback if I change something in the system.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
That's great, Christian, and very nice of David!

I look forward to reading your impressions of the Lamm versus your Allnic.

+1. I've heard the allnic a few times at friends. Very curious ...

Steve Williams

Interesting observation sir.

I have a CJ ET5 preamp with a numerical display. Each "click" (number) up and down is a 0.7db difference. Volume settings on different recordings range from 40 to 65.

I do record each volume setting for each CD so I can replicate when I play again. Found that having the correct volume setting in my room is critical to musical enjoyment. However, I do have a somewhat "live" room so room nodes / reflectivity set in when the volume is too high. I call it room overload. I'm suspect that you don't have this issue with your listening room.

Also provides me feedback if I change something in the system.

I think in my Lamm LL1 pre each click on the gain control is 0.3 Db

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think in my Lamm LL1 pre each click on the gain control is 0.3 Db

IMHO it is not possible - I think I have read it is a 40 step TKD stepped potentiometer, it would have a range of only 12 dB!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I felt the same Christian when I bought mine. Vlad told me that one finds a level on the preamp that works for most genres and rarely does one need to go up or down on the SPL. He will never make a preamp with a remote control. In my room it is easy as my preamp is only a few feet away from where I sit. After a while it truly becomes a non issue

Having owned two preamps without remote before, including the Lamm, I know I wouldn't want to go back to that (especially one with dual volume control). Getting the proper volume is vital for enjoyment and having to constantly get up for that is a pita.

Plus, while I've never heard Steve's top of the line preamp, the one below it is very dark and muddy imo.

Steve Williams

Having owned two preamps without remote before, including the Lamm, I know I wouldn't want to go back to that (especially one with dual volume control). Getting the proper volume is vital for enjoyment and having to constantly get up for that is a pita.

Plus, while I've never heard Steve's top of the line preamp, the one below it is very dark and muddy imo.

It's never been an issue Ian as I can tell youth the accuracy on the right and left channel with each click is exactly the same just as Vlad said it would be as I measured after I got them. Each click on the gain control is identical to the other channel. As I said like you I was worried that it would be a constant up and down....it isn't. My preamp settings is usually up or down no more than 3 clicks and I know the genre and where to start which most of the time is perfectly adequate for where I like it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It's never been an issue Ian as I can tell youth the accuracy on the right and left channel with each click is exactly the same just as Vlad said it would be as I measured after I got them. Each click on the gain control is identical to the other channel. As I said like you I was worried that it would be a constant up and down....it isn't. My preamp settings is usually up or down no more than 3 clicks and I know the genre and where to start which most of the time is perfectly adequate for where I like it.

My Robert Koda K10 preamp has been criticized in some places for it's limited range of steps on the volume control. My experience is like Steve's. For Vinyl it's about 3 settings...depending on the LP. Digital usually 2 different settings (gain is different on the sources). It's one of those things that just doesn't matter to me. And I came from a Nagra PLL that has infinite range (between min and max) and a remote...

Still curious how the LP2.1 turns out...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing