Vinyl recorded to R2R

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi will a vinyl played on a good set up, recorded to a tape on a Studer, when played back on the Studer, sound different and better?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi will a vinyl played on a good set up, recorded to a tape on a Studer, when played back on the Studer, sound different and better?

That is an excellent question. I do not know what the answer is -- let's let the experts weigh in -- but I sure hope the answer is not "better." :) (Playing an LP and recording it to digital makes no sense to me whatsoever (except, of course, for more convenient subsequent playback).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is an excellent question. I do not know what the answer is -- let's let the experts weigh in -- but I sure hope the answer is not "better." :) (Playing an LP and recording it to digital makes no sense to me whatsoever (except, of course, for more convenient subsequent playback).

Bill records his vinyl to digital and then streams it through the Lampi (wink). On mooks (double wink)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have also been searching here for a thread that member me started several years ago on this subject and it was his position as well that anything recorded to tape always sounded better than the vinyl or digital file from where it originated

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . anything recorded to tape always sounded better than the vinyl or digital file from where it originated

Uh-oh! :D

But how can that be? (I like to think that we like LP for reasons other than the theory that the LP playback process adds pleasant distortions.)

What does Bruce B say?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Uh-oh! :D

But how can that be? (I like to think that we like LP for reasons other than the theory that the LP playback process adds pleasant distortions.)

What does Bruce B say?

Anything recorded to tape will take on the properties of the tape.... like the good harmonics and tape saturation, if it was recorded hot enough. Though, it will still include the bad things inherent to LP playback as well such as the clicks/pops, w/f and inner groove distortion. Surely it will be different, but are you willing to trade the good properties of tape with the bad properties of LP playback? Would they offset? I just don't see it.
I know Jeff at J-Corder records CD's on to tape for his tape demo at shows. The only digital I have purposely recorded to tape has been test tones.

Reactions: DexterMiller

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Different yes, but not better. At less with my A80, that has standard recording amplifiers.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Different yes, but not better. At less with my A80, that has standard recording amplifiers.

And that as it's should be. I remember there such a thread in another forum ...

A copy can be preferred to an original, it cannot be better. That is an impossibility.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And that as it's should be. I remember there such a thread in another forum ...

A copy can be preferred to an original, it cannot be better. That is an impossibility.

Unless you define precisely what means better in this case, we are ready to start an endless debate ... :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Unless you define precisely what means better in this case, we are ready to start an endless debate ... :D

You "better" believe it.. :D

emt930

May 9, 2016
In my viewpoint :
1. transfer vinyl to reel tape
- sound almost the same as source , not better than source
- most benefit is - borrow my friend's treasure vinyl (such as Bluenote first press RVG) and transfer to tape. It safe me a lot of money.
2. transfer vinyl to digital files
- I , as a part time audio reviewer , use digital transfer to compare different setup for the readers. Such as compare review turntable with my reference turntable , same cart , same phono stage.
- For LP software review , I digitized my vinyl to files for reader to hear what I review , what it sound like , how good they are.

I uploaded my files to soundcloud. Here is my main channel : www.soundcloud.com/emt930
We can make a playlist on a specific hardware review such as this : https://soundcloud.com/emt930/sets/kuzma-xl-review

My main problem is some songs were deleted from license.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I did some vinyl to R2R transfers of the 45RPM Classics Records reissues. The sides were so short (usually around 10-12 minutes, but sometimes as short as 6-7min), and especially for the classical recordings, there are some terrible edits (the Heifetz Beethoven Violin Concerto just fades out in the middle of of a phrase in the first movement and then fades back in on the next side.) So having the piece on one tape (usually up to 38 minutes if you splice some extra onto a 2500' reel), is a great advantage. Since I have digitized everything I want, I haven't done any vinyl to R2R in the past 6 years.

Larry

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Larry, why did you digitize everything?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
IIRC to pass the music on to Larry's next generation :) Larry is my hero :)

Jack, that's right. I had recently retired when I started, back in 2009, I hit that magic age that Paul McCartney wrote about ("When I get older losing my hair ..."). This was after a long discussion with my wife, who started the discussion asking about what I intended to do about the legacy of my collection of 15,000 records and 1000 tapes (almost all classical), thinking about our daughter and son-in-law and future grandchildren (now two in number). After spending a year, working with Tim Marutani, who also brought in some top recording and mastering engineers (Paul Stubblebine, Mike Romanowski, Mark Willsher, and Art Kelm for my electrical system) to consult and determine what would be the best path (process, hardware, software) to take, I proceded on a six year journey that ended last year with nearly 11,000 records and tapes (the part of my collection I felt I wanted to leave behind) digitized (including album covers and backs), with vinyl declicked. The total is about 35TB (all done at 192/24), using Merging technologies Pyramix software and Mykerinos Card and a Pacific Microsonics Model Two. Since everything is done in real time, I knew I didn't want to do things twice. :) Amazingly, the entire collection can fit in 5 External 8TB Hard Drives (a space smaller 1/2 cubic foot) - which is where one of the back ups sits in a couple of safe deposit boxes in my bank.

Larry

Last edited:

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
...........can I have the name of that bank?;) And while you are at it, may I please have the code to those safe deposit boxes as well! :cool:

Good on you Larry. It's my and probably the intention of many members on this forum to digitise their vinyl too (for me 2 or 4xDSD), mainly for convenience and ease. And though my eldest boy is showing signs of liking the audio game, I doubt if he will have the patience to play the LP's.

But having a good converter and most of all getting started (prioritising time) are key!

Best,
Neville

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing