Sound Galleries SGM 2015

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) We just this last week had some working experience with the Vivaldi 2.0 and found it's sweet spot. The sonic results were pretty stunning once we figured out what it was.
The final sonic result is so system adjustment dependent, The only way to find out if the SGM is right for a skeptical audiophile, is a home demo.

Really interesting. Were you using only DAC or the DAC + upsampler?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
What was the sweet spot for the Vivaldi?

Not where we thought it would be ! We keep this information to our selves because we don't want to subject the good folks at dCS with questions and queries from Vivaldi owners who don't have a SGM. The Vivaldi is a great unit, but how it interfaces optimally with HQ Player running on the SGM with the SGM OS, is really only relevant to SGM owners with a Vivaldi

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not where we thought it would be ! We keep this information to our selves because we don't want to subject the good folks at dCS with questions and queries from Vivaldi owners who don't have a SGM. The Vivaldi is a great unit, but how it interfaces optimally with HQ Player running on the SGM with the SGM OS, is really only relevant to SGM owners with a Vivaldi

It would be relevant to anyone who has the Vivaldi DAC and runs Roon & HQPlayer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although I easily understand that you must keep proprietary information secret, when you come to a forum saying how good thinks have sounded with the Vivaldi DAC you must expect questions about people who are considering your products. I (and suppose others) feel that using the HQ player software and the Vivaldi upsampler seems strange. So we will ask questions about that!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Although I easily understand that you must keep proprietary information secret, when you come to a forum saying how good thinks have sounded with the Vivaldi DAC you must expect questions about people who are considering your products. I (and suppose others) feel that using the HQ player software and the Vivaldi upsampler seems strange. So we will ask questions about that!

It's not so much about keeping things secret, but the sonic results one gets is very hardware, software and operating system specific

I will give you an example.

When doing PCM to DSD 512 conversion using a i7 6700 K on a standard motherboard with a standard power supply and no OCXO, a clock speed of 3.6 GHz sounds better than 4.2 GHz

Using exactly the same software settings on the SGM (which has an OCXO) a 4.2 GHz clock speed sounds significantly better than 3.6 GHz.

The last thing we want to do is to give computer audiophiles sonic anecdotes out of the system context.

At the quality level of audio playback that we are dealing with, everything matters, and we are constantly surprised by the sonic signature of various arrangements

With respect to our recent the Vivaldi results, we often find splitting the processing over two platforms can be beneficial. This has been our experience with the Chord DAVE when the processing up to 352 KHz is handled by HQ Player running on the SGM, and the processing from 352 KHz to 704 KHz is handled by the DAVE itself internally

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It would be relevant to anyone who has the Vivaldi DAC and runs Roon & HQPlayer.

Indeed. And contemplating whether a SGM represents a valid/intriguing upgrade path...particularly if, as I am, somewhat circumspect as to the value of the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler in my system

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
As an example of how significant adjustments to the SGM's HQ Player settings can be, I just implemented a tweak to a single variable upon Ed's recommendation and have been rewarded with a pleasing improvement in transparency and tonality. Good work Ed! Am now asking myself just how much further potential remains untapped?!?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
SGMS2015 Server vs Metronome Calypso Reference CD Transport vs LP

012755grw005mswsywjn6d.jpg
012754e1war1mxemu11lxq.jpg

AES digital cable : Odin2
USB cable : Skogrand Beethoven.
LP System : Origin Live flagship Voyager turntable + Simplicity II tonearm + Koetsu Coralstone Diamond cartridge + Trinity Phonoamp.
Speaker - Magico Q7 ; preamp - Robert Koda K-15 Extreme ; poweramps - AudioValve Challenger 400 monoblock x 4

Friends and I had an interesting gathering last week.
We compared 3 top front-ends, employing music of the same albums in diff formats.

Result :
The LP system was still the champion, being most musical and enjoyable.
The Metronome CD transport and SGMS were on par. The former gave richer midrange whereas the latter was quieter and with higher resolution.
Eventually there is a CAS/server that can fight with flagship grade cd or sacd transports!

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010

on my recommended DAC's to audition list for Roon to HQ Player are sorted by detail on top and tone color / richness on the bottom

T+A DAC 8 DSD
TotalDAC D1-Six and 12
Lampizator Siebener DSD 512

What I would like to hear to evaluate are Nagra HD, and Lampizator Atlantic to see where they fall in the detail <> tone color spectrum

Not such a long list :)

Hi EuroDriver,

Congratulations on what seems to be a breakthrough product!

Where would Chord Dave fit on the list above? It seemed to have a very creamy midrange when I heard it

Also, where would any others you have had a chance to experience such as Trinity, Vivaldi, or anything else?
Thanks!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi EuroDriver,

Congratulations on what seems to be a breakthrough product!

Where would Chord Dave fit on the list above? It seemed to have a very creamy midrange when I heard it

Also, where would any others you have had a chance to experience such as Trinity, Vivaldi, or anything else?
Thanks!

Hi Caesar,

When we first tested the DAVE in March this year we could not find the software settings to improve the sound quality of the playback over the DAVE's internal PCM >PCM upsampling. However we learnt a lot about working with top end PCM DAC's during July, and in September we were able to get results with the SGM to the DAVE that to our ears was even better than the DAVE upsampling internally.

The DAVE joins the highly recommended list which now reads as follows

Nagra HD
Lampizator Golden Gate with Superclocks and DSD 512
Lampizator Siebener DSD512
Lampizator Atlantic
T+A DAC 8 DSD

TotalDAC D1-6 and D1-12
Trinity DAC
Chord DAVE

Last edited:

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
HEAR the SOUND GALLERIES SGM 2015 MUSIC SEVER LIVE

This is an invitation to anyone that is interested to hear the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 music server and the T+A DAC 8 DSD. I will be showcasing them in my home system in Nutley, NJ 07110 on Dec 11th 2016.

This will be during the NJ Audiophile Society Holiday Party which is being held at the Clubhouse in the private community that I live in. You will be welcomed to check out both.

You will be asked to first stop at the Clubhouse to wait for the next available seating at my house, which is next door. Arrival time will be 4:00-6:00PM but no one will be rushed out the door.

Anyone who is interested needs to PM and I will give you the info. Seating may be limited depending on the response but I will endeavor to accommodate everyone.

Besides the above my system consists of the following: B+W 802D; Merrill Audio Veritas Amps; Interconnect and speaker cables by Merrill Audio; High Fidelity Cables power cables and power conditioning; Anti-vibration under all equipment and speakers by Stillpoints.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
This is an invitation to anyone that is interested to hear the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 music server and the T+A DAC 8 DSD. I will be showcasing them in my home system in Nutley, NJ 07110 on Dec 11th 2016.

This will be during the NJ Audiophile Society Holiday Party which is being held at the Clubhouse in the private community that I live in. You will be welcomed to check out both.

You will be asked to first stop at the Clubhouse to wait for the next available seating at my house, which is next door. Arrival time will be 4:00-6:00PM but no one will be rushed out the door.

Anyone who is interested needs to PM and I will give you the info. Seating may be limited depending on the response but I will endeavor to accommodate everyone.

Besides the above my system consists of the following: B+W 802D; Merrill Audio Veritas Amps; Interconnect and speaker cables by Merrill Audio; High Fidelity Cables power cables and power conditioning; Anti-vibration under all equipment and speakers by Stillpoints.

Cheers :cool:

I've been enjoying the SGM Server for the last 2 weeks in my room and I can say it is worth the time to hear what it can do. it is very special.

I hope you have a fun night there in NJ.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
SGMS2015 Server vs Metronome Calypso Reference CD Transport vs LP

View attachment 30023
View attachment 30022

AES digital cable : Odin2
USB cable : Skogrand Beethoven.
LP System : Origin Live flagship Voyager turntable + Simplicity II tonearm + Koetsu Coralstone Diamond cartridge + Trinity Phonoamp.
Speaker - Magico Q7 ; preamp - Robert Koda K-15 Extreme ; poweramps - AudioValve Challenger 400 monoblock x 4

Friends and I had an interesting gathering last week.
We compared 3 top front-ends, employing music of the same albums in diff formats.

Result :
The LP system was still the champion, being most musical and enjoyable.
The Metronome CD transport and SGMS were on par. The former gave richer midrange whereas the latter was quieter and with higher resolution.
Eventually there is a CAS/server that can fight with flagship grade cd or sacd transports!

Are those Audiovalve amps as bright as they look in the pictures? I am fatigued just looking at the pictures :cool:

I hope you can switch the lights off.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Quote Originally Posted by hifial View Post
"This is an invitation to anyone that is interested to hear the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 music server and the T+A DAC 8 DSD. I will be showcasing them in my home system in Nutley, NJ 07110 on Dec 11th 2016.

Cheers"

I've been enjoying the SGM Server for the last 2 weeks in my room and I can say it is worth the time to hear what it can do. it is very special.

I hope you have a fun night there in NJ.

Mike, Thank you, I really appreciate it. I agree, it is really special and should be heard.

I would think once you have a good 700 to 1,000 hours on the Mundorf Caps your SGM will surprise you further. Then add the Synergistic Research Black Fuse and be ready for another pleasant surprise. I hear that the Sablon unpowered USB cable with the SGM and Lampi or the T+A adds another nice surprise. I hope to get one soon to try out.

Let me know what you think after you get those hours on the Mundorf Caps and if you get the Black Fuse.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Don't forget to try the Audio Magic SHD beeswax fuse which I found in my system context to be far superior to the SR black fuse.
Recommend to uprate the fuse slightly too. IMG_0595.JPG

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Don't forget to try the Audio Magic SHD beeswax fuse which I found in my system context to be far superior to the SR black fuse.
Recommend to uprate the fuse slightly too. View attachment 30079

Could you give a comparison between the beeswax and black fuses. Also how long for full burn in.

TIA.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The beeswax take around a month to fully burn in though you will hear the benefit of the SR Black pretty much immediately, with further upticks over the next couple of days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing