Sound Galleries SGM 2015

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve,

AFAIK, only one version, at $16000.
The software inside can be configured in a number of ways, to properly match the DAC it's attached to.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
in what way is it configured to match the DAC it's attached to

it needs drivers appropriate to the dac. every server needs that. and there are settings for ideal input resolution based on the dac. optimal is dsd512; since the magic is much focused on MQ Player optimization which up-samples everything to the highest dsd resolution. in my case I'm using dsd256. beyond that there are settings that are more system and taste related in terms of tonal balance and such. in my case those are all on the full tilt boggie hi resolution settings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
it needs drivers appropriate to the dac. every server needs that. and there are settings for ideal input resolution based on the dac. optimal is dsd512. in my case I'm using dsd256. beyond that there are settings that are more system and taste related in terms of tonal balance and such. in my case those are all on the full tilt boggie hi resolution settings.

Mike,
The SDD disk in the SGM2015 is used to store the music files or just the server software? As far as I remember your storage device is a NAS, did you need to transfer your files to the server?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike

I was interested after seeing Alex comments re the Aurender W20 which has been on my short list but the SGM sounds better

the Aurender approach is 'bit-perfect'; making sure the server outputs exactly the correct bits with the best possible low noise and smallest jitter.

the SMG optimizes bits using HQ Player......they are up-sampled and come out different. SMG can also do 'bit-perfect'. but the Aurender does not have HQ Player.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
The SDD disk in the SGM2015 is used to store the music files or just the server software? As far as I remember your storage device is a NAS, did you need to transfer your files to the server?

both ways are choices. the unit I have right now has a 4 terabyte SSD with Ed's music on it. I'm not listening to that; I'm only listening to my connected NAS with about 15 terabytes of music.

up till now Ed had only seen systems with 25k tracks on it; he was amused mine had 125k tracks....so it took 5 hours to index. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Understood

Mike you're starting to sound like a former member here re HQ Player ;)

at this point I've made no conclusions......other than that the SMG sounds very, very, good. what is causing what is not certain at this time. Ed is allowing me to spend more time so that is what I'm doing.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
in what way is it configured to match the DAC it's attached to

Some DACs "like" upsampling, and some others don't. The server is fully configurable to allow for as much upsampling as you (and your DAC) like, from nothing all the way to DXD/DSD512!

As Mike said, there are also a myriad of filter options, which alter the tonal balance slightly, allowing further fine tuning.

It also has a full Roon server inside, so you don't need that configured elsewhere. All you need is a NAS configured with file sharing. Point the SGM's Roon install to your NAS, and that's all!

As for the Aurender, I haven't compared it against the W20, but we did compare against our humble N100H ($2600) unit, and the SGM was in a whole different (superior!) league.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
both ways are choices. the unit I have right now has a 4 terabyte SSD with Ed's music on it. I'm not listening to that; I'm only listening to my connected NAS with about 15 terabytes of music.

up till now Ed had only seen systems with 25k tracks on it; he was amused mine had 125k tracks....so it took 5 hours to index. :)

Thanks - but what is considered the best sounding way of using it?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahaha yeah we didn't even bother connecting the SGM to our NAS (200k tracks and counting!), as it would take all the available time we had :)

AFAIK, there shouldn't be a difference whether playing from a NAS or from internal storage. And of course, Tidal (through Roon) sounds pretty good as well!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Thanks - but what is considered the best sounding way of using it?

Hi microstrip,

The best sounding way to configure the SGM's software is very dependent on the DAC's format and sampling frequency sweet spot, and the playback system's sonic character.

We just this last week had some working experience with the Vivaldi 2.0 and found it's sweet spot. The sonic results were pretty stunning once we figured out what it was.

The final sonic result is so system adjustment dependent, The only way to find out if the SGM is right for a skeptical audiophile, is a home demo.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi microstrip,

The best sounding way to configure the SGM's software is very dependent on the DAC's format and sampling frequency sweet spot, and the playback system's sonic character.

We just this last week had some working experience with the Vivaldi 2.0 and found it's sweet spot. The sonic results were pretty stunning once we figured out what it was.

The final sonic result is so system adjustment dependent, The only way to find out if the SGM is right for a skeptical audiophile, is a home demo.

What was the sweet spot for the Vivaldi?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
that depends on how optimized your NAS is. the internal SSD is optimal, but the NAS can be equal when optimized.....according to my understanding with Ed.

Listening to Mike's vinyl playback, the transparency of his system takes first place in my record book. With Mike's system the listener hears everything that's going on the digital side and analog side. The NAS and the network infrastructure are all important and leave their sonic signature on a transparent system. We have installations in Europe where the sonics of Tidal streaming are on par with NAS and internal SSD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing