Sound Galleries SGM 2015

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You may not experience the SQ improvement you have heard with the T+A DAC with your Lampi.

The reason T+A sounds so much better in DSD512 mode vs the DSD64, is that it is using a very different processing at that sample rate. This is the (lack of) processing at DSD512 which improves the transprency so remarkably.

With Lampi the difference will be much smaller, due to the fact that the Lampi DAC lacks any D/A conversion on ALL DSD sample rates - DSD64, 128, 256 etc. No digital to analog conversion (only filtering) = transparency.

BTW - I would love to hear the server in my system. Maybe I will be able to persuade Geoffrey to lend it to me, after you are done with it.

It' s possible Adam that with Lampi it will be different and the gap between 512 fs and 64 fs will be smaller, this is also Wisnon's opinion.
Of course if Lampi will play natively better , HQ Player may be switched off, I do not intend to change the DAC even if T+A is an impressive peace of gear , but with different sonic signature.
It' s why I need to audition at home SGM and compare it directly to Aurender W20 in my setup.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm really looking forward to this comparo.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
It' s possible Adam that with Lampi it will be different and the gap between 512 fs and 64 fs will be smaller, this is also Wisnon's opinion.
Of course if Lampi will play natively better , HQ Player may be switched off, I do not intend to change the DAC even if T+A is an impressive peace of gear , but with different sonic signature.
It' s why I need to audition at home SGM and compare it directly to Aurender W20 in my setup.

Hi Marslo,

I am very much looking forward to visiting the Warsaw area again with a SGM, after last years very enjoyable visit.

In Hong Kong last month, I had the chance to extensively test the W20 and the SGM feeding the TotalDAC D1-6 and D1-12, two very fine R2R PCM DAC's. I was very pleased with the sonic comparison, and our purchasers in Hong Kong were very pleased as well with the sonic attributes that Roon + HQ Player running on the SGM brings to the table compared to the MPD based player software on the W20

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Marslo,

I am very much looking forward to visiting the Warsaw area again with a SGM, after last years very enjoyable visit.

In Hong Kong last month, I had the chance to extensively test the W20 and the SGM feeding the TotalDAC D1-6 and D1-12, two very fine R2R PCM DAC's. I was very pleased with the sonic comparison, and our purchasers in Hong Kong were very pleased as well with the sonic attributes that Roon + HQ Player running on the SGM brings to the table compared to the MPD based player software on the W20
Ed,

I think the best feature of the SGM is not up sampling, which it can do with aplomb, but the absolute attention to detail of the synergistic components. This translates to timing with near absolute precision and a very very low noise floor. This is why it makes top PCM Dacs sing too. Basically it is so well built and so versatile that it will serve up whatever is the sweetspot of the companion Dac. Kudos to you and the entire SGM team. The only downside is that top quality comes at a price!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ed,

I think the best feature of the SGM is not up sampling, which it can do with aplomb, but the absolute attention to detail of the synergistic components. This translates to timing with near absolute precision and a very very low noise floor. This is why it makes top PCM Dacs sing too. Basically it is so well built and so versatile that it will serve up whatever is the sweetspot of the companion Dac. Kudos to you and the entire SGM team. The only downside is that top quality comes at a price!

Hi Norman,

You made a superb point there and I am 100% aligned with you as you'll see what I have written in my review due in 1 day.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
My way of thinking as well. I would expect the HQ Player upsampling to be the icing on the cake. Without the base, hardware based performance and software optimisations which I believe is there, the SGM would be just another computer.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Rubbing my hands impatiently. :p

Sorry just final QC and editing this evening. It is just under 4000 words with many photos so should provide a fair chunk of info for you.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Great write up Bill
As you know, air drumming and digital don't normally go together
Glad the SGM, and myself as air drummer supreme, provided a welcome exception to the rule
Seriously, the SGM at yours, as at Barry's, was truly sublime

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Bill, nice review. Sorry to jump straight to this "The Golden Gate in this instance (also driven by SGM) is warmer, more harmonically rich, and weightier sounding albeit at less resolution and speed." - which valves was this with, as this sounds like KR 300b? And was this upsampled?

Hi Ked,

The GG powered by Aries or SGM with either Kr 300b, we replica 101d, Kr 45, or eml mesh 45 is warmer and more harmonically rich and weightier than the SGM + T&A combo - therefore both upsampled and native. The SGM and T&A combo sounded faster and with more resolution (also including 101d). The only caveat is that on one occasion when you were at my house with the 242 / GG combo - it sounded very fast and dynamic and honestly like a different dac altogether - I think we are agreed that that was a special and rather epic moment.

Like I said before though - people all have different tastes and these dacs are like chalk and cheese - they are that different in their presentation. Remember though the T+A is about average for the price IMHO without the SGM in play. When SGM is in play, it is a totally different being.

I am fairly certain the extra dollop of resolution is attributable to the extremely low noise floor from SGM partnered with the T+A @ 512. In my system, the dynamic range is extraordinary now. The Analog Domain allows this as the SNR is ridiculous - you can have it at full wick (without music playing or you would go deaf) and nothing at all can be heard with ear right next to tweeter. Obviously if you do this kind of thing with virtually any valve based product you will hear the noise floor. I think the Nagra HD dac is -110db, which is exceptional for a valve based product.

At the end of the day though, this article is not about dacs - it is about providing the best transport to feed them. There are many factors at play and the HQ modulators are important - they can considerably alter the sound from fast and punchy to almost too analogue (there is one filter that is designed to be extreme analogue). I am keen to hear my GG @ 512 though - will be interesting. I can say that I managed to squeeze 30 seconds of a dsd quad track upsampled to octuple on foobar before my laptop packed up but it was superb. Whether PCM to that res is also, I don't know yet.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Bill..finally..

By the way, regarding the signal only USB cable newly developed by Mark of Sablon Audio, what was the improvement compared to his earlier version?

Morning Ferrox,

The signal only version of the Sablon cable is actually quite a lot better than my already fave USB cable. Same traits as before but with a further absence of glare/digital edge up top that you wouldn't have known to be there. It gives it the great fidelity as before with full extension but just a further natural ease. My sablon USB will immediately be changed to this version without question. If you own a dac with self powered USB interface, you'd be daft not to get this version IMHO. Always surprises me that the small things seem to make a significant difference.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Morning Ferrox,

The signal only version of the Sablon cable is actually quite a lot better than my already fave USB cable. Same traits as before but with a further absence of glare/digital edge up top that you wouldn't have known to be there. It gives it the great fidelity as before with full extension but just a further natural ease. My sablon USB will immediately be changed to this version without question. If you own a dac with self powered USB interface, you'd be daft not to get this version IMHO. Always surprises me that the small things seem to make a significant difference.

Bill..I have just got my new Hoer Wege power supply to power up iFi Micro USB 3.0. Gosh! I almost couldn't believe what I am hearing! Completely black background noise. Vocal is so real and shape of the singer appears a bit in front while the whole instruments are at the slightly back and further back. Completely blow me out..I guess you should try this, too. It's worth every penny I spent. :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill..I have just got my new Hoer Wege power supply to power up iFi Micro USB 3.0. Gosh! I almost couldn't believe what I am hearing! Completely black background noise. Vocal is so real and shape of the singer appears a bit in front while the whole instruments are at the slightly back and further back. Completely blow me out..I guess you should try this, too. It's worth every penny I spent. :)

Cool - I expected this as as I ran a linear ps with my ifi USB 2.0 and found it massive improvement. Enjoy and thanks for update!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
SGM in Texas, singing with Magico Q7, Soultion 701 and Kondo's

I spent 3 working days in Texas with Cmarin in his well furnished and laid out by Rives Audio dedicated listen room. The room is extremely well acoustically treated with fabric covered walls with damping material behind. With dimensions 18 x 25 x 10, the ceiling is quite a bit higher than a typical living room, and is also acoustically treated.

Cmarin's strategy for the AC power supply is also a no holds barred, rigorous, best of the best approach. The AC supply to the key pieces of equipment is at 220 volts !

The speakers are Magico Q7's powered by Solution 701 monoblocks, or Kondo tube monoblocks, cmarin is still evaluating the sonic advantages and disadvantages of SOTA solid state vs SOTA tube.

Cmarin's collection of DAC's is a Hall of Fame. Pacific Microsonics Model 2, Phasure NOS1a, Chord DAVE, and Meridian Ultra with MQA. Joining this collection was the little engine that could, a European T+A DAC 8 DSD running at 220 volts, a special order by cmarin from a US dealer that took many many weeks to arrive.

I sent ahead a Euro spec SGM and brought in my luggage a Bespoke transformer volume control preamp, a Sablon power cord and a Sablon USB cable which had been modified by Mark Coles for the T+ A

During the 3 days we got most things working but sadly not the Berkley Alpha USB which was needed by the SGM to pass data to PM2. I was only able to hear the PM2 being fed a bit perfect native stream from the new Alchemy Music Server passing data over AES, a very interesting and easy to use music server in the $ 2k class. The PM2 was a joy to listen to, to my ears there were no sonic faults that deserved criticism. The presentation was musical, nice tonality, good PRAT, it's legendary reputation is well deserved and its sound can put many 10 k and above contemporary DAC's to shame. I was hoping to see if HQ Player doing upsampling of Redbook to 24/96 could bring some sonic advantage to the PM2's performance, but alas it was not to be.

Cmarin has one of the latest spec NOS1a fed by the 10 core CPU Phasure Stealth Server. I was extremely impressed by cmarin's mastery of the Win 10 based OS, and the process by which the OS is loaded into RAM, and then the drive physically removed from the PC. I have to confess that has to be the ultimate way of eliminating RF noise from the SSD. IMHO the sonics of the NOS 1a Stealth combo were fully competitive with the PM2 Audio Alchemy pairing. Just for fun, we tested the Stealth 10 core server delivering data to the T+A DAC 8 DSD, but it could not handle DSD 512 without stuttering. Cmarin also used to have the Trinity DAC which also uses the Burr Brown 1704 chip, but cherry picked for the best samples.

A detailed analysis and comparison of the Solution 701's and the Kondo's is way beyond my competency / knowledge and experience level. It was the first time I have heard Kondo's but FWIW I was extremely impressed by the sound. In the area of resolution, air, and sweet tonality, the engineers at Solution have a rabbit to chase after. The power output of the Kondo's is a fraction of that of the 701's but with the high efficiency of the Q7's, the Kondo's never ran out of breath at the volumes we liked to listen at.

For me it would be very interesting to hear a comparison between the Kondo's and a top of the line Einstein tube power amp.

The Bespoke TVC preamp sitting on Stillpoint ultra SS feet was a revelation in Cmarin's system. I have not heard any preamp even close to the absolute transparency on the one hand, and the rich tonality on the other achieved by the Bespoke. To me TVC technology as implemented by Harry and Lucy at Bespoke is state of the sonic art and clearly the best volume control solution at the present time.

Much has been written about the sound of the DAC 8 DSD doing DSD 512. Well thanks to Cmarin's relentless and rigorous testing / evaluation of different software settings, we were able to bring the musicality and emotional connection to the music that frankly I have not experienced before, but I will let Cmarin chime in with the observation details. Cmarin has amazing hearing, way better than mine, and he has heard a lot more systems than I have. Cmarin's choice of music was extremely enjoyable and made the long hours of testing an absolute joy.

To give you an insight to Cmarin's evaluation rigor, each test track would be played not twice, but repeated three times consecutively to ensure that we had the sonic nuances captured in our audio memories.

Cmarin, many thanks for such a productive visit !

The observations on the DAVE and the Meridian Ultra will be in following posts.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Morning Ferrox,

Mark said it was a 20% - 30% improvement over his standard Reserva and he wasn't kidding.
I fully concur with your assessment of its merits Bill after trying all my pop torture tracks to unhinge it but all I get is beautiful music with that organic feel to it. It also has a way with timing, just letting the music speak at its own pace rather than being forthright with a beat.
He's not getting this one back either!

Blue58

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
SGM revisits Chord DAVE

I had been waiting for an opportunity to pair the Chord again with the SGM running HQ Player, after the development of PCM > PCM optimal settings from our experience with the TotalDAC D1-6

Well I had many of hours of testing with a DAVE on Cmarin's system and can confidently report the following.

On a Ultra Transparent system, HQ Player's AsymFir digital is the new Cat's Whisker for the DAVE. We had wonderful results delivering 24 bit 352 KHz and 24 bit 704 KHz to the DAVE. At 352 KHz the DSP duties are being shared by the SGM processor and the DAVE's FPGA processor and was my personal favorite. Doing the Lion's share of the processing on the SGM and delivering at 704 KHz was also extremely good, and might well be preferred on a different system.

With these results, the Chord DAVE joins Sound Galleries list of tested and recommended DAC's

DSD
Lampizator Golden Gate DSD 512
Lampizator Siebener DSD512
T+A DAC 8 DSD with Bespoke Pre Amp

PCM
TotalDAC D1-6
Chord DAVE

Waiting to test, Nagra HD and dCS Rossini

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing