Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Galleries SGM 2015

given the price discrepancy sounds like the T&A did a impressive job, I guess?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drabbish View Post
    given the price discrepancy sounds like the T&A did a impressive job, I guess?
    Yes

Addicted to Best!
    I would like to let SGM users and auditioners know that post the Munich event we did two upgrades that nicely improved the sound quality even further. The first is a new operating system build with even less Windows components than the build used in Munich. The second upgrade is a rather labor intensive upgrade of the internal wiring which we did not have time to do before Munich. These upgrades have been fitted on all SGM's
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I disagree with that, since I spent quite some time with both before you came in, and you barely heard the T+A (correct me if I am wrong but you left in about two mins when we put it back in, you did spend some time with the Lampi, beer and pizza though). The t+a was better on electronic bass, but when playing symphonies it was no match on the separation and orchestral dynamics to the Lampi with the 242
    Hi Bonzo,
    Did you and Bill get the chance to use different modulators to establish a preference? What I found so far is that the various modulators sound different with different source resolution. However, I settled on the DSD7-256fs as a good fit and forget modulator in my system after finding the ADMS7 to be too spacious and losing attack/density.

The GG with KR242 must be sounding mighty fine to beat the DAC8. Would have liked to have been there.

Blue58

IMHO, there was nothing in the comparison between the GG and T&A that was "no contest".
    I went into the demo fully expecting the T&A to be trounced on where the GG is strongest and was pleasantly surprised to find in the areas that T&A was behind on, it was not that far behind
    But hey, we all hear things differently, and as someone who needs a lot of dynamics on flatly recorded material, from what I've heard on both dac's through the SGM, and the SGM in two locations, the SGM/T&A fits my listening biases and library

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    IMHO, there was nothing in the comparison between the GG and T&A that was "no contest".
    I went into the demo fully expecting the T&A to be trounced on where the GG is strongest and was pleasantly surprised to find in the areas that T&A was behind on, it was not that far behind
    But hey, we all hear things differently, and as someone who needs a lot of dynamics on flatly recorded material, from what I've heard on both dac's through the SGM, and the SGM in two locations, the SGM/T&A fits my listening biases and library
    I think my point was that you didn't listen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue58 View Post
    Hi Bonzo,
    Did you and Bill get the chance to use different modulators to establish a preference? What I found so far is that the various modulators sound different with different source resolution. However, I settled on the DSD7-256fs as a good fit and forget modulator in my system after finding the ADMS7 to be too spacious and losing attack/density.

The GG with KR242 must be sounding mighty fine to beat the DAC8. Would have liked to have been there.

Blue58
    No. I am a bit off digital and streaming at the moment. Currently exploring analog and SS amps for restored apogees. If anything i would like to take a step back from GG to my previous Big 7 and redirect the small amount elsewhere.

I listened just fine Ked but feel free to contend that I didn't
    We heard your Saint Saens piece on both dac's
    We disagree on the difference in quality of playback between the two and their closeness in ultimate reckoning
    I find it endlessly fascinating that these demos always have to have an absolutist outcome
    I loved the GG and in tone/density/fleshed out terms it beat the T&A
    But not by much
    Otoh I felt the T&A had the edge on noise floor, dynamics and verve/excitement
    I'm planning on a return engagement with both, and I'll spend a longer period a.b'g the two dacs
    But I remain of the opinion that anyone with a collection that stretches beyond acoustic instruments into dance, electronic, dub, progressive, fusion etc would be superbly served by the SGM/T&A and it's ghostly quiet, superbly dynamic sound
    If you restrict yourself to voice, classical, small scale jazz, the GG may well be the ticket
    Last edited by spiritofmusic; 07-30-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Spirit,

Given you taste, you may be better served by the Atlantic DSD only dac, 512 capable. It uses the Pentodes in triode mode and has more extended highs that the DHTs in the GG. Cost is Ä3,900 for SE. Luaksz says he will do a full Atlantic range with 3 cjhoices of tubes (recessed so that can fit in racks) balanced and SE, with RSR PCM and DSD256 (maybe 512 later) and DSD only 512 (chipless).

I want to hear one ASAP. Feedback on Audiocircle seems outstanding!
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143893.0
    and
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144488.0

Wisnon
    One, would I use this dac only after SGM does it's thing at 512/HQ (ie all the time LOL)
    How does this dac fit into the Lampi Grand Scheme Of Things
    Ie compared to GG, B7, Lite etc?
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast