Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Just reporting in. Blue58 again the perfect host (ie doesn't hesitate to smile when I put the worst music on LOL).
    The SGM demo was QUITE the experience. First thing to say is, that despite the player sounding digital and there is no mistaking it's a digital product, for the very first time I heard a presentation which had all the hallmarks that good analog provides, namely true transparency (in my definition, the ability to properly discriminate btwn different recordings in terms of tone and spatial cues, so not presenting the usual digital drawback of everything sounding generic).
    Resolution was really first class with all sorts of spatial cues and tonal signatures apparent, but critically not drawing attention to itself. Hence a very holistic, expressive sound, but no hint of flashiness. Until now, this imho has been the preserve of playing a good lp, but now digital can provide it.
    Music was treated in a very even handed nature, Yes "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", a previous victim of harsh brickwalling and hard panning, now having a reinvigorated life, still a challenging listen, but with a vibe and lushness I struggle to get even from my prized Japanese lp.
    Scheherazade, Miles Davis "ESP", Sarah Vaughan live, all had tone, dynamics, and delicacy in spades.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and on chatting to Blue and Audiophile Bill, we all seem to agree it's a lot to do with the vanishingly low noise floor the SGM provides. Notes are really able to rise and fall like the best analog, and tone is maxxed by the sheer absence of hash.

IMHO, digital comes of age with the SGM and has made me reassess where I want to go, or more accurately need to go, to direct my upgrade funds.
    Thanks for the kind words, and the beers, and happy you were impressed with the SGMS2015, remarkably so playing some punishing, from a SQ perspective, compressed, edgy, prog-rock. I think we redeemed ourselves by thrashing the system with the last movement of Scheherezade and annoying the neighbours in the process. Glorious soundstage, amazing depth and instruments delineated in space whilst those timpani thwacks plumbed the depths. I've not heard it better.

What is also very impressive is the seamless integration of Roon>Tidal>HQPlayer>T+A DAC 8 DSD. I was apprehensive about using Roon as I didn't want another piece of software to get between me and the music, happy to just insert disc and play on my CD player. What I didn't realise is how Roon builds your library in a very 'joined up' way and so your library is a mix of Hi-Res, CD rips, and streaming AND the SGMS just doesn't care! To my mind it's totally agnostic as to what input quality is fed into it and just produces incredible detail, warmth and dare I say it, an analogue quality to the presentation. Even MP3 radio stream was stunning. I could swear that streaming from Tidal actually sounded better than my CD rips and, for example, on both Holly Cole, Temptation and Ella Fitzgerald, Let No Man Write My Epitaph the PCM upsampled to DSD512 bested the AP DSD64 download upsampled to DSD512.
    I think that just shows how good the HQPlayer software is.

I'll leave the in depth review to AudiophileBill and offer a warm welcome in East London to anyone who wants to have a listen to the SGMS2015.

Blue58

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Prey do tell, a snippet or two? When and where is your review coming out?
    Hi,

It will appear in Positive Feedback. I will likely have this written in the next 4 weeks or so.

A snippet. The delta between the T+A dac powered by an Aries at native rates versus the SGM @ 512 is so large that the dac sounds like an *extremely* expensive dac indeed. The resolution is better than anything I have heard before particularly the ability to hear the tiniest ambient details - these are important because they don't stand out in an analytical way but draw you into the event. The performance of lossless Tidal upsampled to 512 is so good that it exceeds my redbook rips, which has made me re-evaluate the whole paradigm of owning 16/44 on my NAS. Anyway - this is the future of digital playback IMHO.

Bill

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Thanks Eurodriver.
    Yes that does put things into perspective and I'll look forward to reading Bill's report on how it sounds in his home which I am sure will be a much more relevant guide.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Time for me to add a bit of perspective.
    Sencha is right in conveying my lukewarm opinion of the SGM at the Munich roll out. Music chosen was just too fussy, the space too challenging, everything sounded a bit disembodied and "audiophile checklist".
    I found the sound balance between different HQ filters/modulations confusing to say the least.
    Based on that experience I would not consider becoming a customer.

Back on Planet Earth, playing sonically challenging 70s and 80s prog rock, classic 60s modal jazz, good old fashioned jazz vocals and sturm and drang classical, in a system that I've heard evolve over an 18 month period into one that is expressive and involving, it was just amazing to hear the SGM be the first digital product that while unambiguously still digital in nature, crossed the rubicon into a presentation that I only ever thought was in the preserve of analog, and good analog at that.

The ability to be drawn into the music, with apparently no artifacts and zero noise conveying an analog like lack of cognitive dissonance ie ability to just soak up the music, and tonal discrimination between different pieces makes the SGM absolutely worth investigating, esp if like me you are coming from a place where digital has always struggled to convey the holistic event of lp playback.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

Addicted to Best!
    Time for me to add a bit of perspective.
    Sencha is right in conveying my lukewarm opinion of the SGM at the Munich roll out. Music chosen was just too fussy, the space too challenging, everything sounded a bit disembodied and "audiophile checklist".
    I found the sound balance between different HQ filters/modulations confusing to say the least.
    Based on that experience I would not consider becoming a customer.

Back on Planet Earth, playing sonically challenging 70s and 80s prog rock, classic 60s modal jazz, good old fashioned jazz vocals and sturm and drang classical, in a system that I've heard evolve over an 18 month period into one that is expressive and involving, it was just amazing to hear the SGM be the first digital product that while unambiguously still digital in nature, crossed the rubicon into a presentation that I only ever thought was in the preserve of analog, and good analog at that.

The ability to be drawn into the music, with apparently no artifacts and zero noise conveying an analog like lack of cognitive dissonance ie ability to just soak up the music, and tonal discrimination between different pieces makes the SGM absolutely worth investigating, esp if like me you are coming from a place where digital has always struggled to convey the holistic event of lp playback.
    Hi Marc,

On the SGM team, we very much appreciate your comments above. The factors which have facilitated the delivery the musical experience you heard are many and varied, not the least of which is the superb craftsmanship and sonic artistry that Barry has built into his amps.

My feeling is a significant part of being able to cross the digititis Rubicon, is HQ Player's ability to detect and eliminate the artifacts created during the original Analog to Digital PCM conversion. This ability has not been matched in effectiveness with other music playback software as far as I know. This ability to eliminate the AD artifacts is pretty CPU intensive and results in an order of magnitude more CPU activity and its associated noise signature. The SGM team's goal has been to deliver the lowest RF noise and most accurate computational timing environment for Roon and HQ Player to do their job. Your observations are the best reward for us computer geeky audiophiles :-)
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

Addicted to Best!

SGM goes to Hong Kong

Sound Galleries is pleased to announce that Volent and owner Ben Lau have been appointed exclusive distributor/dealer for the SGM for Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Ben has a long experience in computer audio and a deep understanding, building not only complete systems, but also PC peripheral cards as well.

We are shipping 3 SGM's to Ben in Hong Kong this coming week and I will be visiting Hong Kong from August 6th to August 10.

If you want to arrange an audition, drop me a line or contact Ben Lau at Volent

eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

Well, after two weeks with the SGMS2015 I have to confess to being both baffled by the amount of information contained within a simple, by today's standards, 16/44.1K container and overwhelmed at the stunning sound quality after upsampling to DSD512.

I initially had difficulty in listening with my eyes open due to the incongruity of what my ears heard and eyes saw. How can musicians be placed in the room when my eyes tell me they aren't? Complete mind fk.

This is the most transparent, relaxed, and yet dynamic sound I've heard, period. No, I haven't travelled the world listening to uber systems but the SGMS2015 belongs in most and dare I say competes with those rarified analogue systems.
    You know when live music is playing in a room when you are listening outside because there is a telltale signature, probably dynamics account for most of that, well this is what I'm hearing outside the room. There is this density/solidity to the performance that is fundamental to how the server in combination with the T+A DAC 8 DSD replays music.

It streams Tidal content with the same aplomb too. I spent 6 months ripping my 2500 CDs for nothing, bar those not on Tidal. Tidal sounds better. My Roon playlist now contains Tidal content, CD rips, Hi Res and DSD files and all are played faultlessly. What an achievement.

I want to thank the SGM team for their incredible work and Eurodriver for being so helpful with setup and for his positive comments.

I look forward to Audiophile Bill's review. Wonder if he ShunMook'd it or added the Black Fuse?😉

Blue58

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! marslo's Avatar
    Hi Blue,
    Thank you for interesting input.
    I plan to make an appointment with Geoffrey from Sound Galleries for audition of SGMS with Lampi with newest DSD 512 board in the beginning of September.
    For time being I am in favour of native PCM and DSD from Aurender W20 but very enthousiastic opinions about DSD 512 make me give the SGMS a listen.
    Cheers
    Mariusz
    Aurender W20->Audio Aero La Fontaine/ Lampizator Big 7 -> Ayon Crossfire III -> Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD
    Analog : Transrotor Fat Bob S with SME 5 , Shelter Harmony , Groove +SRX mk2

Well, I made the trip to Audiophile Bill to hear the SGM on the end of dsd512 HQ via the T&A, and 256 via the GG
    Fascinating comparison. GG had the edge on tone and analog like saturation, but the T&A was superior on dynamics and verve
    The impression I get is that the SGM has really upped the ante at Bill's in effect supercharging the T&A

For me, I remain amazed by the SGM's ability to eek out of digital a real analog like sensibility, the non existent noise floor diminishing previously irritating digital artifacts and allowing spatial and tonal cues to rise and fall totally naturally like the very best lp replay

Blog Entries
    Well, I made the trip to Audiophile Bill to hear the SGM on the end of dsd512 HQ via the T&A, and 256 via the GG
    Fascinating comparison. GG had the edge on tone and analog like saturation, but the T&A was superior on dynamics and verve
    The impression I get is that the SGM has really upped the ante at Bill's in effect supercharging the T&A

For me, I remain amazed by the SGM's ability to eek out of digital a real analog like sensibility, the non existent noise floor diminishing previously irritating digital artifacts and allowing spatial and tonal cues to rise and fall totally naturally like the very best lp replay
    I disagree with that, since I spent quite some time with both before you came in, and you barely heard the T+A (correct me if I am wrong but you left in about two mins when we put it back in, you did spend some time with the Lampi, beer and pizza though). The t+a was better on electronic bass, but when playing symphonies it was no match on the separation and orchestral dynamics to the Lampi with the 242

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast