Sound Galleries SGM 2015

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
The AQUA Formula was nice and enjoyable, but to our hears, the DAVE and TotalDAC were the winners, depending your tastes for precision (DAVE) or emotion (TotalDAC). May be the NAGRA HD DAC who was expected to be also there could have won, but the NAGRA could not make it.

Hello Bmichels,

Which model of Totaldac did you hear? Did you hear the Totaldac Twelve?
Thanks,

VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
The AQUA Formula was nice and enjoyable, but to our hears, the DAVE and TotalDAC were the winners, depending your tastes for precision (DAVE) or emotion (TotalDAC). May be the NAGRA HD DAC who was expected to be also there could have won, but the NAGRA could not make it.

Hello Bmichels,

Thanks,

VPN

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Hello Bmichels,

Thanks,

VPN

We listened to the D1-Dual.

Also note that since the meeting, our friend who had the DAVE sold it for a Total Dac-Six that he consider much more enjoyable than his DAVE

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
We listened to the D1-Dual.

Also note that since the meeting, our friend who had the DAVE sold it for a Total Dac-Six that he consider much more enjoyable than his DAVE

Thank you! Try the Totaldac Twelve if you can. I understand it is at a substantially higher level vs. the other Totaldac. I heard it in Munich 2015, and will hear it again (I hope so) in Munich 2017. Unfortunalelly, I have not been able to hear it in my system.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Had the great pleasure of hosting Ed Hsu (Eurodriver) the last few days in my music room. Ed came to upgrade the SSD capacity on my SGM2015 server.

But of greater significance, Ed upgraded my HQPlayer software to the latest 3.16.0 version and we were able to test a new filter (poly-sinc-xtr) with four DACs: Nagra HD, Aqua Formula, Pacific Microsonics model 2, and the Playback Designs MPS-5.

The new poly-sinc-xtr filter was a revelation. Optimizing the settings for each DAC raised the level of performance for all four DACs (whether PCM or DSD centric) in my system by an order of magnitude relative to their corresponding prior baselines.

These were not subtle differences. Each DAC produced jaw-dropping differences that required only a software change in the SGM/HQPlayer software - a zero marginal cost that was equivalent to a major component change. And that is taking into account that my system was already what I personally considered to be an already high level of performance.

Of course, the results will vary by system. And it appears that the level of improvement is directly related at least in part to the signal/noise in a system.

I have seen and heard the future of digital - at least in my system. And it lies in the SGM/HQPlayer combo - an utterly reliable and flexible digital server that is guaranteed to stay ahead of the curve due to its inherent upgradability; a platform that is overdesigned for performance and low-noise; and its DAC agnostic framework.

The SGM/HQPlayer combo can be optimized to deliver the best sound quality that a DAC can provide in the specific context of the surrounding system components and the user's sonic preferences. Something that no traditional transport can do easily.

Thank you Edward for a delightful visit that raised the performance level of my system by a very positive order of magnitude. It is always a pleasure.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The new poly-sinc-xtr filter was a revelation. Optimizing the settings for each DAC raised the level of performance for all four DACs (whether PCM or DSD centric) in my system by an order of magnitude relative to their corresponding prior baselines.(...)

Interesting. How many parameters must be adjusted for optimizing the SGM for a specific DAC? Is it carried just by listening tests?

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Interesting. How many parameters must be adjusted for optimizing the SGM for a specific DAC? Is it carried just by listening tests?

Microstrip,

For a given filter, Ed focused on four parameters, where each one has several possible settings: DAC bits, Buffer time, Modulator (DSD)/Dither (PCM), and Sample rate (DSD)/Bit rate (PCM).

The testing of options was not exhaustive. Starting points were guided by Ed's experience with various parameter combinations and ultimately selected by our listening tests. It may sound complicated but it really was not once you get used to playing with the Settings Menu.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Edward will be at my house on Monday. Looking forward to the fun

Steve, Good Luck!

If possible, can you take some pictures of what is being done, in order to get a more concrete understanding of what this server and setup are all about (assuming nothing proprietary is divulged, of course) If not, no big deal. Thanks!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
caesar,

Don't know about Axpona, but we plan to show the Aqua/SGM combo at the LA Show in June!

cheers,
alex

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar,

Don't know about Axpona, but we plan to show the Aqua/SGM combo at the LA Show in June!

cheers,
alex

Thanks. I LOVE LA (except for the traffic!), and if there is any chance i can make it to the show, I will.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, the good news is that the LA Show is right next to LA, so you won't see much of the (indeed horrible) traffic! :)

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Is this server going to make it to Axpona?

The SGM will be at Axpona and Munich. Munich will have two rooms, I believe. No other plans at the moment.

However, if anyone is in the NJ/NY Greater Metro area (Philly, CT, LI) and would like to have a home demo of the SGM please contact me by PM.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The SGM will be at Axpona and Munich. Munich will have two rooms, I believe. No other plans at the moment.

However, if anyone is in the NJ/NY Greater Metro area (Philly, CT, LI) and would like to have a home demo of the SGM please contact me by PM.

Thanks. Do you know which room at Axpona will have the server? And with which DAC(s) it will be demoed?

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
how did it sound with the Playback Designs MPS-5

Steve,

I've had the MPS-5 for quite a while so I'm very familiar with its sound. The SGM was feeding the MPS-5 16/44 and DSD files upsampled to DSD128 through the Playback Designs USB-XIII Converter via the playlink connection.

What I heard through the SGM with the 3.16.0 version of HQPlayer and the poly-sinc-xtr filter was the best sound quality I've heard from the MPS-5 in my system. Hope that you find similar results in your system.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Hi cmarin

If you have the USB X3 box it will play quad DSD. Were you able to play any quad DSD

Hi Steve,

You are correct. But the limitation lies with the poly-sinc-xtr filter which will only work up to DSD128. My understanding from Edward is that there is another filter (poly-sinc-xtr-2s) that can acommodate DSD256, but we didn't get a chance to try it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing