Sound Galleries SGM 2015

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I visited Volent HK showroom again yesterday to listened to the SGMS fine-tuned by Edward and Ben to suit Totaldac dac.
The default SGMS settings was for T+A DAC8 DSD dac.

Also chatted with Edward for half an hour.
He is very knowledgeable on CAS yet so humble.
I learned a lot from him.
Dear Edward : Many thanks!

Here are some photos taken. Components used were Totaldac Six dac, Bespoke passive preamp, Westminster Unum mono power-amps, black cat cables, Sablon & Vertere usb cables, Volent VL-3.5 loudspeakers.
View attachment 28230
View attachment 28231
View attachment 28232

The SGMS after tuning had much improved dynamics and density.
It was very analog and IMO surpassed all other CAS frontends in this very important aspect.
The HQPlayer has the distinctive advantage of being able to be tuned to suit any DACs.

My 5 working days in Hong Kong was a delight to meet the people behind the forum posts, and a rich learning experience in terms of system matching through HQ Player settings and OS optimization choices. We were some what "DSD iso cultured" but after working with the TotalDAC D1-6 for five days, with ample time for testing every day, the sound quality achieved several breakthroughs, the last one we had was after CK had left, and just before I went to the airport.

We all agreed the the sound quality we heard last night was the best Ben, Dominic and I had ever heard, period

Vincent, I take my hat off to you, and kiss you on both cheeks, Vive le Son Francais !

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
edit

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just a reminder for any SGM2015 users based on my experience with SETs and big transformers/iron. Unplug the unit during break in, completely remove the power cord, it's like having a good nights sleep. Just more musical after. I'm never surprised this works but always amazed it does.
Call me crazy as I can't explain why it works. I'm sure someone can.
Cheers
Blue58

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Just a reminder for any SGM2015 users based on my experience with SETs and big transformers/iron. Unplug the unit during break in, completely remove the power cord, it's like having a good nights sleep. Just more musical after. I'm never surprised this works but always amazed it does.
Call me crazy as I can't explain why it works. I'm sure someone can.
Cheers
Blue58

Blue58, Just got my T+A Dac8 DSD. It seems you are using the dac as preamp too. How do you think it performs as a preamp? Do you happen to know it's maximum output impedance using as a preamp?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue58, Just got my T+A Dac8 DSD. It seems you are using the dac as preamp too. How do you think it performs as a preamp? Do you happen to know it's maximum output impedance using as a preamp?

Hi Scatterbrain99,
I'm very happy with the volume control in the unit and it appears to be very transparent. Unfortunately I don't know the output impedance, perhaps a quick call to T&A would be in order. I'm using it with SET amps and HEX 'phones, volume around 40 and 48 respectively.

OOI, it takes about 3 weeks to break in and likes a great power cord and good footers. I heard Stillpoint minis were great but I use Yamamoto MGB-2

Enjoy
Blue58

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks Blue58! Do you turn off the Dac8 when not listening? Is it recommended to turn it on all the time like other SS dac? I sent an email to T+A about output impedance and would update when I hear back. Which power cord are you using with T+A? Do you think good footers made a noticeable improvement? oh and which HQP and T+A setting you are using? I am still experimenting and following seems to be working better from only one hour of listening:

HQP: 24.6MHZ, ADSM7, poly-sync-short-mp-2s, T+A: wide mode

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks Blue58! Do you turn off the Dac8 when not listening? Is it recommended to turn it on all the time like other SS dac? I sent an email to T+A about output impedance and would update when I hear back. Which power cord are you using with T+A? Do you think good footers made a noticeable improvement? oh and which HQP and T+A setting you are using? I am still experimenting and following seems to be working better from only one hour of listening:

HQP: 24.6MHZ, ADSM7, poly-sync-short-mp-2s, T+A: wide mode
I turn the Dac off by the front power button when not listening and in fact the Dac will switch itself off if not used for about an hour. This counters others comments to leave it on all the time.
I'm using all Sablon Reserva cords throughout the system, they are just musical and quiet too.
The magnetic footers I use did improve the sound but a weight on top didn't. Stillpoints may be better. The Dac didn't like soft footers.
My settings with the SGM 2015 are poly-sync-short-mp; DSD7-256fs;wide(default)
I tried the ADSM7 again the other day and I still prefer the above for PCM sources but did prefer ADSM7 for DSD upsampling. I think it's very system dependent.
I find ADSM7 too strident with vocals as though there is too much air, like the vocals being ripped apart. DSD7-256 sounds, In my system to my ears with my music, more fleshed out and more dynamic. The vocal champ. ADSM7 the soundstage champ.
I don't want a monitor in the music room so decided to set and forget.
Just don't get hung up on the modulators. Listen for a few days with one then change and listen again for a few days. Try not to do straight A/B, it will drive you nuts.
Cheers image.jpg

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Apologies for another post but I added a SR Black fuse T2.0a, (s into SGM r into fuse cap) and mightily impressed with the result. Just greater soundstage particularly depth, though that could just be my room, and tighter bass, more impact. Vocals a little more forward in the mix which I prefer.

Now I'm thinking to upgrade the sockets the power cord is plugged into from Furutech GTX-D(G) to either Oyaide R1, same plating as plugs, or Furutech NCF(R) but never liked anything with Rhodium.

The SQ gap between streaming Tidal and lower HiRes(24/44.1/48) is marginal which leads me to question purchasing many of these lower rate downloads and reserve my funds for higher rate downloads or minor system upgrades as above.

I should upgrade the Ethernet cable just for completeness sake.

Thanks for reading
Blue58
(32C in London so more Red than Blue today)

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Apologies for another post but I added a SR Black fuse T2.0a, (s into SGM r into fuse cap) and mightily impressed with the result. Just greater soundstage particularly depth, though that could just be my room, and tighter bass, more impact. Vocals a little more forward in the mix which I prefer.

Now I'm thinking to upgrade the sockets the power cord is plugged into from Furutech GTX-D(G) to either Oyaide R1, same plating as plugs, or Furutech NCF(R) but never liked anything with Rhodium.

The SQ gap between streaming Tidal and lower HiRes(24/44.1/48) is marginal which leads me to question purchasing many of these lower rate downloads and reserve my funds for higher rate downloads or minor system upgrades as above.

Thanks for reading
Blue58

I have noticed the same thing regarding streaming from Tidal vs lower HiRes. I think when your music server is optimized, the difference diminishes or is it because of the HQP upsampling to DSD 512? Btw, I heard back from T+A, the output impedance is a lowly 22 ohms at all frequencies. Very impressive. However, my Melody P2688 preamp is far away better than the T+A volume control. But then again, its brand new and requires break in.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

Thanks for reading
Blue58

Many thanks Blue58 for your very informative post.

On the one hand we can absolutely believe the sound quality uplift achieved by SR's latest and greatest Black fuse. Your observations are absolutely in line with the SQ uplift that we have observed as we made upgrades to the materials and parts in the AC supply of the SGM.

However we have to confess, that we never summoned the courage to order SR's Black fuses to try on the SGM ! Thank you for breaking the ice

Take away, here is another example that there is more to digital audio than bit perfect LoL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi, just my two cents after spending an hour with Barry yesterday
First of all, it's been a real pleasure to experience first hand over two years the fantastic evolution in his system that took off when he went to Sablon Reserva cables recently
But now with the SGM and T&A combination bedded in and the addition of the SR fuse, things are at an amazing level
I would sum his sound up as effortlessly transparent and tonally discriminating
The SGM continues to defy what I've always found limiting about digital ie different recordings always sounding like they're cut from the same cloth
Now every track like the best vinyl really sounds individual and discrete
This alone makes the SGM represent the coming of age of digital
Finally the almost vanishingly low levels of noise mean that transparency are maxxed, and I believe this new fuse has taken things on a step or two further
Bass texture, definition and weight really spectacular
SGM remains a total triumph, and this is a comment from someone who has never found digital convincing and only finds half a dozen digital components at all remarkable

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia

Thanks for reading
Blue58

My earlier Ethernet cable was Acoustic Revive and when I replaced it with Sablon cable, gosh! Everything changes to the positive improvement. I highly recommend this brand. I have been using Nordost, Siltech, Stealth, and this Sablon cables are not ashamed of them, too for a fraction of the cost. Mark Coles is a very nice gentleman and he will take care of your needs professionally.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I turn the Dac off by the front power button when not listening and in fact the Dac will switch itself off if not used for about an hour. This counters others comments to leave it on all the time.
I'm using all Sablon Reserva cords throughout the system, they are just musical and quiet too.
The magnetic footers I use did improve the sound but a weight on top didn't. Stillpoints may be better. The Dac didn't like soft footers.
My settings with the SGM 2015 are poly-sync-short-mp; DSD7-256fs;wide(default)
I tried the ADSM7 again the other day and I still prefer the above for PCM sources but did prefer ADSM7 for DSD upsampling. I think it's very system dependent.
I find ADSM7 too strident with vocals as though there is too much air, like the vocals being ripped apart. DSD7-256 sounds, In my system to my ears with my music, more fleshed out and more dynamic. The vocal champ. ADSM7 the soundstage champ.
I don't want a monitor in the music room so decided to set and forget.
Just don't get hung up on the modulators. Listen for a few days with one then change and listen again for a few days. Try not to do straight A/B, it will drive you nuts.
Cheers View attachment 28632

I am new to SGM 2015. Is it very difficult to setup the HQPlayer with SGM? I am currently using Auralic Aries and its proprietary LDS application on iPad.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I am new to SGM 2015. Is it very difficult to setup the HQPlayer with SGM? I am currently using Auralic Aries and its proprietary LDS application on iPad.
Hi Ferrox,
Firstly, it looks like I have to get the Sablon Ethernet cable to complete my loom and like yourself I had the Acoustic Revive when using a Mac mini as source.

My Auralic Aries was a delight to use and I had reservations regarding Roon/Todal/HQPlayer in respect to its user interface, not wanting to get 'bogged down' with constantly searching for titles and delving into artists history or collaborations, the danger being less time to relax and listen.

What I found is that it's as easy if not easier than the LDS software, completely intuitive and once you are happy with a filter/modulator setting within HQPlayer there is no/little need to alter that setting. I have found my preferred setting and no longer use a monitor in my music room, relying on Roon on the iPad to control everything. An additional benefit is the ability to find new music within Tidal when not musically online and add it to your library which then shows up on your Roon library. So, you could be browsing Tidal in your local park, on the bus or at work and adding to your future musical enjoyment.

The SGM 2015 has been a delight to use and once again I offer an open house to those close enough to London to pop over for a listening session.

Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just noticed your location. Small world, I'll be touching down in Jakarta on Monday on the way to Bali. Pity it's not a stopover or we could have linked up.
Cheers

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi, just my two cents after spending an hour with Barry yesterday
First of all, it's been a real pleasure to experience first hand over two years the fantastic evolution in his system that took off when he went to Sablon Reserva cables recently
But now with the SGM and T&A combination bedded in and the addition of the SR fuse, things are at an amazing level
I would sum his sound up as effortlessly transparent and tonally discriminating
The SGM continues to defy what I've always found limiting about digital ie different recordings always sounding like they're cut from the same cloth
Now every track like the best vinyl really sounds individual and discrete
This alone makes the SGM represent the coming of age of digital
Finally the almost vanishingly low levels of noise mean that transparency are maxxed, and I believe this new fuse has taken things on a step or two further
Bass texture, definition and weight really spectacular
SGM remains a total triumph, and this is a comment from someone who has never found digital convincing and only finds half a dozen digital components at all remarkable
Pleasure is all mine and thanks for the kind words of support. Often we need others opinions to steer us in the right direction. Think fashion.
The fuse thread suggests the Audio Magic SHD fuses to best the SR Black so there could be more advancements in SQ to come. Could it become even more analogue like?
We'll see.
Cheers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pleasure is all mine and thanks for the kind words of support. Often we need others opinions to steer us in the right direction. Think fashion.

Cheers

Try giving fashion tips to a lady after she has spent a lot of time doing her make up

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I sold my balanced Lampi and am finally getting my T+A next week.

Blue, du you know which kind of fuse is installed in the T+A? Did you already change those?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Blue, du you know which kind of fuse is installed in the T+A? Did you already change those?

Hi, just to clarify, which level Lampi was this? L4?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Hi tsaett, I understand the fuses are internal surface mounted fuses in the T+A and therefore not user replaceable. However, use of a great power cord and footers like Stillpoint minis or in my case Yamamoto MGB-2 makes significant improvement to already superb SQ.
Let everyone know how you get on in the T+A thread.
Just to add, don't use any aftermarket devices on the USB with the T+A.
Cheers
Blue58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing