Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello,

Now that the new intel i9 processor, with 10 to 18 cores (US$1000 to US$2000) is out, I wonder:

a) When should we expect a SGM with Intel i9 processor?

b) Will it be possible to upgrade existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9?

Cheers,

VPN

as an SGM owner myself, no doubt the whole culture of the product is flexible upgrading at cost for upgrades like that. so when there is a case to be made for the need of a new processor they can do it. I doubt they would just upgrade it to upgrade it, as the whole product is the sum of many parts and you can't just swap out pieces.

the way I view it is that SGM gets to take full advantage of technology advancements that keep it relevant, yet is a dedicated product with the narrow focus that optimization for music files requires. they would make sure it's a net gain for the user.

but can they do it? sure.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hello,

Now that the new intel i9 processor, with 10 to 18 cores (US$1000 to US$2000) is out, I wonder:

Cheers,

VPN

unfortunately there is more to music server Mobo/chips than just core numbers

these include

ground planes

thermal needs to avoid fans

plug in compatabilities RAM, ssd etc
ram needs and speeds
external power requirements

sata or other ports compatibility

closeness of chip to edge of mobo for passive cooling

passive cooling kits availability

passive cooling chassis capability

external clocking abilities

over clocking issues

maximum power requirements

maximum current requirements

ability to overcome dc to dc converts

all these things severely limits what can be used hardware wise...a less than trivial task

but fundamentally a big fast multicore chip is going to run hot....which makes passive cooling harder and harder

law of diminishing returns

you would need to ask what dsp tasks of multicore chips would make going down this root desirable as current dsd512 requirements are met by i7

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello,

Cheers,

VPN

Hello VPN,

Yes it will be possible to upgrade the existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9. And yes there could be merit in doing so as we found that if you can control the various forms of noise associated with higher performance parts these usually "sound" better. It could also enable the use/development of even more extreme quality algorithms.

As to your when question, there are several factor's in play here:
-the 10-core is out but the higher core versions are still to be released
-we are looking for a few specific memory kits/motherboards to modify and test which aren't available yet
-these new processors come with a new processor socket, a new chipsets, new memory options and a new range of motherboards. We do not just pick a model, we test every combination for stability, durability and resulting sound in combination with our modifications. We did not just pick the current hardware contents of the SGM by accident, we tested it to be the best overall performing set of components for our specific application. All previous Intel extreme series cpu's and available motherboards did not manage to meet our standards. We have high hopes for this new generation though.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello VPN,

Yes it will be possible to upgrade the existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9. And yes there could be merit in doing so as we found that if you can control the various forms of noise associated with higher performance parts these usually "sound" better. It could also enable the use/development of even more extreme quality algorithms.

As to your when question, there are several factor's in play here:
-the 10-core is out but the higher core versions are still to be released
-we are looking for a few specific memory kits/motherboards to modify and test which aren't available yet
-these new processors come with a new processor socket, a new chipsets, new memory options and a new range of motherboards. We do not just pick a model, we test every combination for stability, durability and resulting sound in combination with our modifications. We did not just pick the current hardware contents of the SGM by accident, we tested it to be the best overall performing set of components for our specific application. All previous Intel extreme series cpu's and available motherboards did not manage to meet our standards. We have high hopes for this new generation though.

Hello Taiko,

Thank you very much. It is good to know that it will possible to upgrade the SGM 2015 to Intel i9.

It sounds like it will take some time (makes sense to test everything), but very promising.

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Had a chance to finally hear the SGM Server over the past weekend. I am very impressed and it is built like a tank. Kudos

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Over the past week, I have been playing with an SR Blue fuse in my SGM to replace the earlier Black iteration. Notwithstanding the excellence of the earlier Black model, the new Blue started off at a similar level of performance straight from the box and has evolved considerably over the past 200 hours. The noise floor is now appreciably lower, giving greater tonal texture of the skin of drums and the brushing of cymbals, together with stronger dynamics.

Although I never felt the server to be as power sensitive as say most dacs appear to be, this simple change has given me a bigger uptick in sound quality than any other tweak I have so far implemented on the SGM. Somewhat curiously, I preferred a different directionality and also experienced more change over the burn in period than with the Black. Is worth mentioning that I have also previously upgraded the factory oyaide iec inlet to an NCF inlet and found that to also give similar improvements, albeit of a lesser magnitude.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing