Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031

Thread: Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VPN View Post
    Hello,

Now that the new intel i9 processor, with 10 to 18 cores (US$1000 to US$2000) is out, I wonder:

a) When should we expect a SGM with Intel i9 processor?

b) Will it be possible to upgrade existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9?

Cheers,

VPN
    as an SGM owner myself, no doubt the whole culture of the product is flexible upgrading at cost for upgrades like that. so when there is a case to be made for the need of a new processor they can do it. I doubt they would just upgrade it to upgrade it, as the whole product is the sum of many parts and you can't just swap out pieces.

the way I view it is that SGM gets to take full advantage of technology advancements that keep it relevant, yet is a dedicated product with the narrow focus that optimization for music files requires. they would make sure it's a net gain for the user.

but can they do it? sure.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Hello,

Now that the new intel i9 processor, with 10 to 18 cores (US$1000 to US$2000) is out, I wonder:

Cheers,

VPN
    unfortunately there is more to music server Mobo/chips than just core numbers

these include

ground planes

thermal needs to avoid fans

plug in compatabilities RAM, ssd etc
    ram needs and speeds
    external power requirements

sata or other ports compatibility

closeness of chip to edge of mobo for passive cooling

passive cooling kits availability

passive cooling chassis capability

external clocking abilities

over clocking issues

maximum power requirements

maximum current requirements

ability to overcome dc to dc converts

all these things severely limits what can be used hardware wise...a less than trivial task

but fundamentally a big fast multicore chip is going to run hot....which makes passive cooling harder and harder

law of diminishing returns

you would need to ask what dsp tasks of multicore chips would make going down this root desirable as current dsd512 requirements are met by i7
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Hello,

Cheers,

VPN
    Hello VPN,

Yes it will be possible to upgrade the existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9. And yes there could be merit in doing so as we found that if you can control the various forms of noise associated with higher performance parts these usually "sound" better. It could also enable the use/development of even more extreme quality algorithms.

As to your when question, there are several factor's in play here:
    -the 10-core is out but the higher core versions are still to be released
    -we are looking for a few specific memory kits/motherboards to modify and test which aren't available yet
    -these new processors come with a new processor socket, a new chipsets, new memory options and a new range of motherboards. We do not just pick a model, we test every combination for stability, durability and resulting sound in combination with our modifications. We did not just pick the current hardware contents of the SGM by accident, we tested it to be the best overall performing set of components for our specific application. All previous Intel extreme series cpu's and available motherboards did not manage to meet our standards. We have high hopes for this new generation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiko Audio View Post
    Hello VPN,

Yes it will be possible to upgrade the existing SGM 2015 to Intel I9. And yes there could be merit in doing so as we found that if you can control the various forms of noise associated with higher performance parts these usually "sound" better. It could also enable the use/development of even more extreme quality algorithms.

As to your when question, there are several factor's in play here:
    -the 10-core is out but the higher core versions are still to be released
    -we are looking for a few specific memory kits/motherboards to modify and test which aren't available yet
    -these new processors come with a new processor socket, a new chipsets, new memory options and a new range of motherboards. We do not just pick a model, we test every combination for stability, durability and resulting sound in combination with our modifications. We did not just pick the current hardware contents of the SGM by accident, we tested it to be the best overall performing set of components for our specific application. All previous Intel extreme series cpu's and available motherboards did not manage to meet our standards. We have high hopes for this new generation though.
    Hello Taiko,

Thank you very much. It is good to know that it will possible to upgrade the SGM 2015 to Intel i9.

It sounds like it will take some time (makes sense to test everything), but very promising.

Cheers,

VPN
    Last edited by VPN; 07-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Digital: Totaldac Twelve SE + server, Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal Amplification: CH Precision L1+X1, 2x Krell FPB 750mcx Speakers: Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Totaldac Gigafilter USB, Echole Omnia 3ft XLR, Echole Omnia 7ft XLR,Power: Kubala Realization and Absolute Fidelity Power, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, Four dedicated lines, PS P10

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Believe High Fidelity's Avatar
    Had a chance to finally hear the SGM Server over the past weekend. I am very impressed and it is built like a tank. Kudos
    Believe High Fidelity Ltd is the North American Distributor for:

Aries Cerat Ltd
    Torqueo Audio
    Vermouth Audio Cables
    Etsuro Urushi Cartridges
    Primary Control
    Echo Diastasis
    Top Wing

Kassandra LE DAC wins Best DAC of 2016/2017 with reviewer purchase @ Mono & Stereo! Article here

Like us on Facebook!

Email: j@Ibelieveinhifi.com
    Web: www.ibelieveinhifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    Had a chance to finally hear the SGM Server over the past weekend. I am very impressed and it is built like a tank. Kudos
    It appears David W. Robinson likes it and the T+A
    https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...eries-sgm2015/
    Sound Galleries Monaco Server 2015(Roon>Tidal>HQPlayer-Poly Sinc xtr DSD128) > Sablon Audio Reserva Elite USB (data only)/Sablon Audio Reserva Ethernet >
    T&A DAC8DSD > Sablon Audio Reserva Interconnects > Java Triple Shot LDR pre > SupaNova45 DC SE amp > Sablon Audio Reserva speaker cables (pigtailed) > Avantgarde Duo Omega. Sablon Audio Reserva power cords throughout. HiFiMan Edition X V2, SR Blue fuses, Oyaide EE f/s2.0 V2 mains spurs, Akiko Audio tuning sticks, GIK Acoustic TriTraps/panels.

SGM Awarded 2017 Brutus Award

FYI.

The Sound Galleries SGM 2015 has received the prestigious 2017 Brutus Award from Positive Feedback.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...art-the-first/

Name:  Sound_Galleries_SGM2015 jpeg 2.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  181.8 KB
    Last edited by hifial; 11-30-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco & Taiko Audio The Netherlands
    Sound Test USA
    al.mirabella@soundtest.info

Sound Galleries SGM 2015>ROON>HQ Player rates to DSD512>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>All High Fidelity Cables & Power Cords>High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere;T+A & Hemisphere on Stillpoints Ultra Mini;B&W 802D & Veritas Amps on Stillpoints Ultra SS>IKEA Aptitlig bamboo blocks;Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Over the past week, I have been playing with an SR Blue fuse in my SGM to replace the earlier Black iteration. Notwithstanding the excellence of the earlier Black model, the new Blue started off at a similar level of performance straight from the box and has evolved considerably over the past 200 hours. The noise floor is now appreciably lower, giving greater tonal texture of the skin of drums and the brushing of cymbals, together with stronger dynamics.

Although I never felt the server to be as power sensitive as say most dacs appear to be, this simple change has given me a bigger uptick in sound quality than any other tweak I have so far implemented on the SGM. Somewhat curiously, I preferred a different directionality and also experienced more change over the burn in period than with the Black. Is worth mentioning that I have also previously upgraded the factory oyaide iec inlet to an NCF inlet and found that to also give similar improvements, albeit of a lesser magnitude.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Duplicated posting
    Last edited by Sablon Audio; 12-16-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031