What is the best electrical solution for a system with BIG SS amps?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I imagine: dedicated lines, plug amp directly into wall socket- not to choke off dynamics, and good aftermarket power cords???

Is there a truly passive power conditioner, or do they all kill dynamics of Big SS amps? (Not talking about pussy cat sized amplifiers here.)

220 line is not an option, unfortunately.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have my Pass Labs XA160.5 amps on two dedicated 20 amp circuits. Each one is connected directly to the panel via a 15' JPS In-Wall cable routed through the floor behind each amp. This cable then has a Furutech IEC plug. That goes right into the back of each amp. No outlets or extra connections. Essentially, these are two 15' power cables running to the panel on separate circuits. Dynamics are extremely good, despite my very difficult speaker load.

I have not tried alternatives, so I can not say this is a better solution than something else. I am planning to upgrade the IECs to new Furutech models, I think the F1-50s.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I imagine: dedicated lines, plug amp directly into wall socket- not to choke off dynamics, and good aftermarket power cords???

Is there a truly passive power conditioner, or do they all kill dynamics of Big SS amps? (Not talking about pussy cat sized amplifiers here.)

220 line is not an option, unfortunately.

I love what my Equi-=tech 10WQ wall panel system does for my big SS amps (darTZeel NHB-458 monoblocks.....550 watts into 8 ohms). the Equi-=tech uses an over 300 pound 10kva isolation transformer. and I have dirty power outlets right next to my Equi=tech powered outlets to quickly A/B the dynamics any time I want. game, set, match to the Equi=tech.

not all isolation transformers are created equal. you typically need 2x headroom verses maximum power as a minimum spec for any isolation transformer....and read the 'Q' transformer info on the Equi=tech website to learn more.

you take maximum wattage of your amp, plus max wattage of all the gear you are running, and then double it. that's the minimum sized transformer you want.

I also use the Furutech NCF duplex outlets and the NCF plugs, male and IEC, on my power cords.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing